Here are our 33 Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes, from our family to yours. We’ve pulled together a range of classics and new favorites so you’ll have plenty to choose from this holiday season.
“Best Of” Thanksgiving Sides List
If you like to plan ahead, this list is for you. You can pick and choose a variety of sides to prepare for friends and family this Thanksgiving. We’ve gathered our favorite veggies, stuffings, casseroles, breads and more to share with you.
But, if you are a procrastinator, this list is also for you! Basically, there’s no need to scour the internet for Thanksgiving Side Dish recipes - just pick a couple and get cooking. We promise, they are all easy and delicious.
Traditional Thanksgiving Side Dishes
These are the sorts of side dishes that we’ve all come to expect from Thanksgiving dinner, no matter whose house we are at.
- Our very own Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing recipe has been passed down for generations.
- This Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole (aka funeral potatoes) is always a favorite.
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows brings a little bit of dessert to the table.
- These Creamy Scalloped Potatoes are packed with sour cream, cheese, and herbs.
- For even more sweet potatoes, try this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping.
- These Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes are fluffy, buttery, and can be made up to 3 days in advance!
- Orange Cranberry Sauce is perfect to dress up your turkey and tastes amazing on cheesecake too.
Our Favorite Thanksgiving Vegetable Side Dishes
- Seasoned with lemon and garlic, these Oven-Roasted Green Beans are simple and taste amazing.
- Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes are loaded with flavor. If you'd like, make them rustic with the peels or use a potato ricer for creamy potatoes.
- These Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a delicious alternative to regular mashed potatoes.
- Roasted Acorn Squash Soup is a creamy, cozy, satisfying and healthy addition to the table.
- Our recipe for Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts gives tips on how to make sure you bring out the sweet, caramelized nutty flavor of your Brussels sprouts.
- These Parmesan Roasted Fingerling Potatoes has a crispy Parmesan crust and are so simple to prep.
- Cinnamon Roasted Squash is sweet and savory, making it a perfect addition to the menu.
- Creamed Corn is taking sweet corn to another level. It only takes a few minutes to prepare.
Bread, Bread and More Bread
- These Homemade Crescent Rolls are a true crowd pleaser. Honestly, no Thanksgiving is complete at our house without them.
- We highly recommend you pair this Easy Homemade Cornbread with our homemade Honey Butter.
- For a delicious alternative to regular garlic bread, try our Garlic Herb Twist Bread.
- This Rustic Cheddar Bread is a simple, rustic homemade bread.
- Einkorn Dinner Rolls are just like your everyday homemade dinner rolls, except made with Einkorn flour which is easier to process and has a delicious flavor.
- Pull Apart Garlic Bread is a twist on the classic garlic bread. It's so pretty that you are sure to impress all of your guests!
- Focaccia Bread, load this up with your favorite herbs and some sea salt flakes, a perfect side.
New Thanksgiving Side Dish Ideas
- This yummy Creamy Curry Squash Soup proves that just a few small tweaks can add a giant flavor bomb to a recipe.
- Cranberry Orange Sauce is sweet, tangy and a breeze to make.
- If you want stuffing with a little more substance, try our Best Sausage and Apple Stuffing.
- This Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball is fully loaded with ranch seasoning, bacon bits and green onions.
- Air Fryer Red Potatoes are super quick and give you the best most crispy skin every single time.
- These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are technically more of an appetizer. However, they are too good to not add to the list.
Thanksgiving Side Dishes You’ll Want to Eat All Year Long!
- If you’ve never made Crockpot Mashed Potatoes, now is a great time to start!
- How about Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes? Let your crockpot do the work, and save a little oven space while you’re at it.
- This Ham and Cheddar Cheese Ball is such a great side dish or appetizer for any holiday, game day or weekend snack.
- These cheesy, sophisticated Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes should be added to your usual potato side dish rotation immediately. They’re rich, creamy and have a unique nutty flavor thanks to the gruyere cheese.
- And finally, this Twice Baked Potato Casserole is bound to be the first side dish to go at any and every dinner where it’s served. There’s just something about mashed potatoes, bacon, cheese and sour cream that is simply irresistible!
- Mashed Red Potatoes, if you love the little chewy bits of skin in your mashed potatoes, these are loaded with flavor.
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese, so rich and creamy and cheesy too.
- Au Gratin Potatoes, rich and creamy and a perfect side to your holiday meal.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!