These Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes are cooked along with onions and cranberries then finished with a sweet and tangy honey mustard glaze. Top with crumbled feta cheese and you've got the perfect healthy side dish to serve on weeknights or for holiday dinners.
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Ingredients in This Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potatoes Side Dish
- How to Make Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- More of the Best Vegetable Side Dish Recipes To Try
Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
This recipe for Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes is ridiculously easy and delicious, but it’s also so much more. We roast the sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts along with red onions and cranberries until they are deeply caramelized, then toss in a homemade honey mustard glaze for a final few minutes in the oven. Just before serving, we sprinkle a little feta cheese over the top for a sweet, salty, tangy, savory delight.
Simply put, this is not your everyday roasted vegetable side dish and it’s sure to make a Brussels sprouts lover out of anyone. As a bonus, it's also gluten-free, vegetarian and super healthy!
If you are looking for a tried and true, plain Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe instead, we’ve got you covered.
Ingredients in This Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potatoes Side Dish
- Brussels Sprouts - you want to use Brussels sprouts that are all approximately the same size. To prepare them, just cut off the little knob at the end and slice in half.
- Sweet Potatoes - you can keep the skins on or remove them - totally up to you. Be sure and cut into equally sized pieces, about the same size as the halved Brussels sprouts or even a touch smaller.
- Red Onion - red onion has a nice flavor and holds its shape well. You could also substitute yellow or white onions, or even shallots.
- Cranberries - fresh cranberries can usually be found in the produce section at the store. Do not use frozen or they will bleed out all over the tray and add far too much moisture. Feel free to omit them if you can’t find them.
- Olive Oil - you can also substitute avocado oil if you would like.
- Garlic Powder - this has a nice sweet garlic flavor, and you don’t have to worry about it burning in the hot oven.
- Salt and Pepper - we prefer sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Feta Cheese - Feta cheese crumbled over the top just before serving adds an amazing fresh, creamy and tangy finishing touch. You can omit this if you’d like, but we highly recommend it.
Honey Mustard Glaze
- Dijon Mustard
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Thyme (fresh or dried)
How to Make Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Toss vegetables in oil and seasoning. Place halved Brussels sprouts, diced sweet potatoes, diced onions and cranberries in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and either mix or shake well to coat.
- Roast. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spread in an even layer. Roast in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes total, stirring every 10-15 minutes with a spatula.
- Make the honey mustard glaze. While the veggies are roasting, add the dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, honey, thyme and salt into a jar or container with a lid and shake well.
- Add glaze. About 10 minutes before the veggies are done roasting, add the honey mustard glaze, tossing to coat, then return to the oven to finish.
- Serve. Once the veggies are dark golden brown, remove from the oven, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy!
How to Make Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Add the prepared sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and red onion to a large bowl or a gallon ziplock bag. Drizzle on the oil, add garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Transfer to air fryer basket and air fry at 400 degrees until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl or glass jar, mix together the honey mustard balsamic glaze.
- Add the veggies to a clean bowl, drizzle with the glaze, then return to the air fryer basket and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- High heat is key to crispy Brussels sprouts. If it’s not hot enough, you’ll never get those nice crisp outer leaves because you will need to cook for too long in the oven. However, if it’s too hot, the olive oil will burn and leave an unpleasant flavor behind.
- Don’t go too crazy with the oil. Too much oil will never allow them to crisp to their full potential!
- Roast the outer leaves that fall off of the Brussels sprouts - they turn into tasty, crispy little chips.
- Add the honey balsamic glaze during the last 10 minutes of cooking. If you add it too early, it will likely burn in the hot oven.
- The feta cheese is optional but adds a deliciously creamy, tangy flavor to the caramelized vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! They truly are meant to be together - the Brussels sprouts will finish first, getting a nice deep caramelized layer on the outside just as the sweet potatoes finish.
If you overcook your Brussels sprouts, they turn mushy and take on a sulphury not-so-good flavor. But don’t be afraid to get them nice and caramelized! The best defense to mushy Brussels sprouts is actually roasting them in a hot oven. This way they will be more likely to caramelize and less likely to steam as they cook.
Yes! Air Fryer Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are the bomb. If you've got an air fryer and want to give it a try, see our instructions above.
This side dish tastes best when it’s fresh out of the oven, however you could absolutely make the glaze the night before as well as cut your vegetables and store them in a covered container in the fridge overnight. That way, the next day you’ll just need to season, roast and enjoy.
The cook time will all depend on the temperature of your oven, the size of the Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and how many you cook at once. We can at least provide you with a general idea, based on oven temperature but you should always keep a close eye on your veggies after about 25 minutes in the oven:
375 degrees: 35-45 minutes
400 degrees: 30-45 minutes
425 degrees: 30-40 minutes
450 degrees: 20-30 minutes
Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds Brussels Sprouts ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1 ½ pounds Sweet Potatoes diced into ½ " chunks
- ½ large Red Onion diced, or about ½ cup
- 1 cup Cranberries fresh
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup Feta Cheese optional, add just before serving.
Honey Mustard Glaze
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ⅛ teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place halved Brussels sprouts, diced sweet potatoes, diced onions and cranberries in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and either mix or shake well to coat.
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spread in an even layer.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 30-45 minutes total, stirring every 10-15 minutes with a spatula.
- While the veggies are roasting, add the dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, honey, thyme and salt into a jar or container with a lid and shake well. About 10 minutes before the veggies are done roasting, add the honey mustard glaze, tossing to coat, then return to the oven to finish.
- Once the veggies are dark golden brown, remove from the oven, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy!
More of the Best Vegetable Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Oven-Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon
- Chili-Spiced Sweet Potato Chunks
- Cinnamon Roasted Squash
- Oven-Roasted Green Beans
- Oven-Roasted Asparagus
- Easy Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Parmesan Zucchini
- More Side Dish Recipes
- More Potato Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes are sweet, savory, a little tangy and totally delicious. They're the perfect simple and healthy side dish for weeknights and holidays.