This Easy Homemade Cornbread has only a few ingredients. You can make this cornbread recipe in a cast-iron skillet, a baking dish or make it into muffins. It is delicious every time!
How do you make cornmeal??
A great way to make cornmeal is to grind your own, use popcorn! I discovered this a few years ago and it was a game-changer.
I have this old Magic Mill wheat grinder that my Mom used for 20 years and then gave it to me.
I've had it for 15 years and it's still plugging away. I love grinding my own wheat in it but someone mentioned you can grind cornmeal too! What!?! This makes the best cornmeal!
Just grind your popcorn! Ya know, the same stuff you use to air pop. No flavors and just the dry kernel.
The pre-ground cornmeal from the grocery store works great too.
How to Store Cornmeal
Cornmeal is going to be best if it's freshly ground. If that isn't a possibility, or maybe you ground too much, cornmeal is best stored in a freezer ziplock bag in the freezer. It will stay fresh and be ready whenever you're ready to use it.
I have a hard time keeping cornmeal around because I just don't use it that much, but this little hack made my life a little easier. (Be sure to check the ratings on your wheat mill to be sure you can grind cornmeal. S
ome wheat grinders will gum up and won't work if you try to do anything other than hard white wheat.)
We love using this cornbread recipe year-round. Warm cornbread is a simple and delicious side to any soup, salad, and a favorite when we barbecue. Slather some of the most amazing honey butter on it and wha-la, lip smacking goodness! If you're looking for something a little more savory, try this Garlic Butter recipe on it too, so good!
Tips on making Easy Homemade Cornbread:
- Grind your own popcorn in your wheat grinder, use popcorn! (be sure to check the ratings on your wheat grinder to make sure it can handle grinding popcorn)
- If you have unused cornmeal, keep it in the freezer in a ziplock bag and it'll stay fresh for a couple of months.
- Serve with Honey Butter, seriously so good!
- Be sure to grease or spray with non-stick spray whatever you decide to bake it in.
- You can bake this in a baking dish, bread pan, or muffin tins.
Easy Homemade Cornbread
- 1 ¼ cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- ¼ cup Butter, Melted
- 1 large Egg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix
- In another bowl, combine your "wet" ingredients, milk, butter and egg. Whisk together until the egg is beaten.
- Pour your milk mixture into your cornmeal mixture. Mix until combined. Batter should be just a little lumpy.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 by 8 greased baking dish or 12 greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on edges and a toothpick when inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean. Serve war and with honey butter. Enjoy!
Here are some other Baked Breads you'll love:
This simple cornbread recipe has only a few ingredients. You can make it in a cast iron skillet, a baking dish or make it into muffins. It is delicious every time