These thin and crispy oven baked Zucchini Chips are a healthy and delicious alternative to potato chips. Made with thinly sliced zucchini tossed in olive oil, simple seasoning and a dusting of Parmesan cheese, they make the perfect healthy snack or easy side dish.
Baked Zucchini Chips With Parmesan
If you find yourself with more garden squash than you know what to do with, give these oven baked Zucchini Chips a try. They take just about 20 minutes to make, are naturally gluten free, and the oil and seasonings can be easily adapted to use your favorite spice blends and dipping sauces.
The key to success with this recipe is to make sure you slice as thin and as evenly as possible. This will help ensure you don’t end up with soggy chips. If you’ve got a mandolin slicer, great! Otherwise a sharp knife and a little patience will do the trick.
Ingredients Zucchini Baked Chips
- Zucchini - try and find zucchini that are about the same size so that your chips will be about the same size. The easiest way to slice them super thin and super even is to use a mandolin slicer, but you can also use a sharp knife.
- Olive Oil - you can substitute avocado oil if you prefer.
- Italian Seasoning - this adds great flavor to the chips.
- Garlic Powder - add a little more or less depending on your preference.
- Parmesan Cheese - for best results, use freshly grated Parmesan instead of the stuff from the can.
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley - freshly chopped parsley makes a great optional garnish.
How to Make This Baked Zucchini Chips Recipe
- Slice zucchini. Wash then slice zucchini into approximately ⅛” slices using a mandolin slicer or a very sharp knife.
- Season. In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Once you’ve sliced the zucchini, add iti to the oil mixture and use tongs to toss and coat.
- Bake. Place the coated thin slices of zucchini onto the prepared sheet tray in a single layer (you may need more than one sheet tray). Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown, or about 12-18 minutes.
- Serve. Remove chips from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with your favorite dipping sauces. Enjoy!
More Baked Zucchini Snacks
Have fun experimenting with these recipe variations to find your favorite flavor combinations. Whether you prefer spicy, cheesy, tangy, or herb-infused zucchini chips, there's a variation for everyone to enjoy.
- Spicy Chili Zucchini Chips: Add some heat to your zucchini chips by mixing in a teaspoon of chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the seasoning mixture.
- Garlic and Herb Zucchini Chips: Mince a few cloves of garlic and mix them with dried herbs like oregano, thyme, and basil. Toss the zucchini slices in this mixture before baking for a fragrant and tasty twist.
- Ranch Zucchini Chips: Mix together some dried parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle this seasoning blend on the zucchini slices before baking to achieve that familiar ranch taste.
- Lemon Pepper Zucchini Chips: Just before baking, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with cracked black pepper.
- Sriracha Lime Zucchini Chips: For those who enjoy a touch of heat and tang, try drizzling some sriracha sauce and lime juice over your zucchini chips before baking.
- Cajun Zucchini Chips: If you're craving some Cajun flavors, create a Cajun spice blend using ingredients like paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and thyme. Coat the zucchini slices with this seasoning and bake them to perfection.
- Sweet and Savory Zucchini Chips: Combine the best of both worlds by sprinkling a little brown sugar and a pinch of salt on your zucchini chips before baking.
Frequently Asked Questions
No one wants to eat a soggy chip, but we’ve got a couple of easy tips for success. The best ways to avoid soggy chips are to cut them very thin and uniformly, and to keep them in a single layer on your sheet tray. You also want to be sure and follow the quantities for oil and salt in our recipe to make sure that you aren’t add too much of either.
Your baked Zucchini Chips can stay fresh for up to 1 week as long as you store them properly. We recommend storing in an airtight container with paper towels to soak up any excess moisture. You don’t want to store in the fridge because the moisture from the fridge will turn them mushy quickly.
You can absolutely make Zucchini Chips in an air fryer. Just prep and season as directed, then lay in a single layer in an air fryer that has been preheated to 350 degrees. Air fry for about 10 minutes, or until crisp, then continue until all of your chips have been cooked.
Storing Zucchini Chips
- Room Temperature: store baked Zucchini Chips in an airtight container at room temperature. To keep them fresh for up to 1 week, add a few pieces of paper towel to the container to soak up any excess moisture.
Baked Zucchini Chips Recipe
- 4 small Zucchini sliced into ⅛" rounds
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Parsley fresh, chopped
- ½ cup Dipping Sauce marinara or Alfredo sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add the thinly sliced zucchini to the oil mixture and use tongs to toss and coat the oil on the zucchini.
- Place the coated thin slices of zucchini onto the prepared sheet tray in a single layer (you may need more than one sheet tray).
- Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown, or about 12-18 minutes.
- Remove chips from the oven and let cool slightly before serving with your favorite dipping sauces. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Healthy Snacks
- Mini Veggie Cups
- Zucchini Fries
- Crispy Potato Bites
- Italian Mini Kabobs
- Homemade Guacamole
- Tomato Bruschetta
- Wedge Salad Kabobs
- More Zucchini Recipes
- More Easy Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you and it helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These homemade Zucchini Chips are tossed in olive oil and seasoning, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and oven-baked to crispy perfection. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces for a quick and easy snack or side.