This Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe is total comfort food. Cheesy potatoes are made from frozen potatoes, shredded cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with ooey gooey cheesy goodness and baked until golden and bubbly. It's one of the best nostalgic cheesy potato recipes. This recipe for Cheesy Potato Casserole is the perfect side dish for a Sunday dinner, family dinner, or a holiday side dish recipe.
This recipe is often called "funeral potatoes." Call them whatever you'd like to, I have a feeling they are going to become everyone's favorite. You'll be making them again and again.
To make this cheesy potato casserole, you simply mix a few ingredients, spread it in a baking dish, and smother it with cheese. It really is THAT easy.
Cheesy Potato Casserole Video Tutorial
This cheesy potato casserole recipe is the perfect side dish to your Easter holiday meal. We love making this around Easter time, it goes perfectly with your Spiral Ham. We also love having this as part of our traditional Christmas Dinner and it works great as a side for Smoked Turkey, Roast, Cornflake Chicken, or really any main dish your family loves.
Ingredients in Cheese Potato Casserole
- Butter: You will use this to saute your diced onions until they are soft, tender, and just barely golden brown.
- Onion: white or yellow onions work great. Caramelizing the onion makes all the difference. It's worth the little bit of extra time to caramelize the onions. You can also use onion powder in a pinch, a couple of teaspoons will do but it's not quite the same.
- Shredded Potatoes: You can use the frozen hash brown in the supermarket's freezer section. If you prefer to use real potatoes, you can certainly make this a cheesy potato casserole with real potatoes. Just shred the potatoes before adding them and allow 15 minutes of extra cooking time.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: any brand will do. (You can also use cream of chicken soup in a pinch)
- Sour Cream: Full fat or low fat; either will work.
- Shredded Cheese: Any blend of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Chicken Broth: Any kind or brand will do. You can also sub for vegetable broth if you want to keep vegetarian ingredients.
- Garlic Salt: or equal parts garlic powder and salt.
How to Make Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray the inside of a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Chop the medium onion into ⅓" pieces. Add the onion to a skillet with ¼ cup melted butter. Saute on medium heat while stirring until the onion is a light caramel color. (about 5 minutes)
- In a large bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup cheese, onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed to assemble the casserole.
- Spread the potato mixture in a 9 by 13" prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese (½ cup) on top. (you can also add some crushed cornflakes for a crunchy topping if desired, but the cheesy topping is amazing)
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Tips for Making Potato Casserole
- You can make this ahead of time. 24 hours in the fridge works great. Just make as directed but don't bake it. Store it covered in plastic wrap in a casserole dish until ready to bake.
- You can also make a double batch and freeze it for another time. Just prepare it, but don't bake it. Conver with plastic wrap, then with foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. (I also love making it in disposable aluminum foil containers so it can easily be frozen and given to a friend after surgery or a baby.
- If making it ahead, let the casserole dish sit at room temperature after taking it out of the fridge before inserting it into a hot oven.
- You can use frozen shredded hashbrowns or cut whole potatoes into ½" chunks, boil until tender, and use them in this cheesy potatoe casserole. Both methods work great.
- Cheddar cheese is classic but plays around with different varieties of cheese. It's delicious with aged white cheddar, milk, Gruyere, or sharp cheddar cheese. My favorite kind is a fiesta shredded cheese blend!
- This also makes an amazing freezer meal idea. It tastes just as good after being frozen. Just put the potato casserole in the oven frozen and bake for an extra 30-45 minutes.
- I used whole-fat sour cream in this recipe, but you can lighten it by using lite sour cream.
Make Ahead and Storing
- Make Ahead: Make the potato casserole ahead of time but don't bake it. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 48 hours before baking. When you're ready to bake it, take the pastic wrap off and let the casserole dish come up to room tempreture. (If you add a cold glass casserole dish to an oven, you risk it shattering). Preheat the oven and bake as normal.
- Freezing: This can be made ahead of time and frozen for later. It works great to put it in a disposable foil baking dish. (This makes for such an easy cleanup!). When freezing, wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. When you're ready to bake it, remove the plastic wrap but cover it with foil. Bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and then bake again for 15 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Storing after Baking: Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: Place the desired amount of potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, stir and heat again until warm.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion yellow onion; diced into ½" pieces
- 1 20 oz bag Shredded Potatoes frozen
- 1 10 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream full fat or lite
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (Save ½ cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion lightly caramelizes - about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup shredded cheese, the cooked onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture into your prepared 9x13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese evenly over the top.
- Put in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
Making Cheesy Potato Casserole In a Slow CookerYou can also make this in a slow cooker which is nice for holidays or big gatherings when your oven is busy with other dishes. To make in a slow cooker, simply prepare the recipe according to the instructions.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare your ingredients and then add the uncooked ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until the potatoes are tender and the sauce is bubbly on the edges.
More Potato Recipes
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins Recipe
- Smashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Breakfast Hash Browns
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Best Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- More Potato Recipes
- Holiday Side Dishes
- More Holiday Recipes
More great sides
This potato casserole, or known as funeral potatoes in some areas, is total comfort food. It's a cheesy potato casserole made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with flavor and one of the best potato casserole recipes.