The Best Hash Brown Potato Casserole
This hash brown potato casserole is made from frozen shredded hash brown which makes this recipe so easy!
All you need to do is throw a few ingredients together and spread it in a baking dish to make this loaded potato casserole.
This cheese potato casserole is creamy, delicious and loaded with flavor. This cheesy hash brown potato casserole recipe can be made with just about any kind of cheddar.
It’s delicious with aged white cheddar, milk cheddar or sharp cheddar cheese. My favorite kind is a fiesta cheese blend!
Tips to make this shredded potato casserole:
- You can make this ahead of time. 24 hours in the fridge works great.
- You can use frozen shredded hashbrowns or you can cut whole potatoes into 1/2″ chunks, boil until tender, and use them in this cheesy potatoes casserole. Both methods work great.
- This also makes an amazing freezer meal idea. It tastes just as good after being frozen. Just put the potato casserole in the oven frozen and bake for an extra 30-45 minutes.
- I used whole fat sour cream in this recipe but you can lighten it up by using lite sour cream in this potato casserole with sour cream.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1 20 oz bg Potatoes shredded and frozen
- 1 10 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream full fat or lite work great
- 2 cups Cheese (Save 1/2 cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onions
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray the inside of a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Chop the medium onion into 1/2" pieces. Add the onion to a skillet with the butter. Cook on medium heat, while stirring until the onion is a light caramel color. (about 5 minutes)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 1/2 cup cheese, the onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture in a 9 by 13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
We love Potato Recipes! Here are a few recipes using potatoes…
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This potato casserole, or known as funeral potatoes in some areas, is total comfort food. It’s a cheesy potato casserole and made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It’s loaded with flavor and one of the best potato casserole recipes.