This Cheesy Funeral Potatoes Recipe or Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole is total comfort food. It's a cheesy potato casserole made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with flavor and one of the best potato casserole recipes. Your family is going to fall in love with these cheesy potatoes.
If potato recipes are your thing, we have a few others you’re gonna want to try. We have an old fashioned scalloped potatoes and ham, the Best Steakhouse Style Baked Potatoes, a slow cooker cheesy hash brown potato casserole, or a slow cooker scalloped potatoes recipe. Let me assure you, cheese and potatoes are kind of our thing around here.
The Best Hash Brown Potato Casserole
This cheese potato casserole is creamy, delicious and packed with flavor. It is even made from frozen shredded hash brown which makes this recipe so easy! To make this loaded potato casserole, all you need to do is throw a few ingredients together, spread it in a baking dish and smother it with cheese.
Cheddar cheese is classic, but play around with different varieties of cheese. You really can't go wrong here. It's delicious with aged white cheddar, milk cheddar or sharp cheddar cheese. My favorite kind is a fiesta cheese blend!
What to serve with Cheesy Potato Casserole
This recipe is really versatile. If you’re wondering what to make with these cheesy potatoes, you can try our Cornflake chicken recipe, Grilled California Chicken Recipe, The Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast, or Monterey Chicken, a personal favorite.
Ingredients in Cheesy Funeral Potatoes Recipe:
- Butter: You will use this to saute your diced onions until they are soft, tender, and just barely golden brown.
- Onion: white or yellow onions work great
- Shredded Potatoes: You can use the frozen hash brown found in the freezer section of the supermarket. If you prefer to use real potatoes, you can certainly make this a cheesy potato casserole with real potatoes. Just shred the potatoes before you add them and add allow 15 minutes of extra cooking time.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: any brand will do.
- Sour Cream: Full fat, or low fat, either will work.
- Shredded Cheese: Any blend of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Chicken Broth: Any kind or brand will do. You can also sub for vegetable broth if you'd like to keep the ingredients vegetarian.
- Garlic Salt: or equal parts garlic powder and salt.
Instructions for Making Cheesy hashbrown potato recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray the inside of a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Chop the medium onion into ⅓" pieces. Add the onion to a skillet with the butter. Saute on medium heat, while stirring until the onion is a light caramel color. (about 5 minutes)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup cheese, the onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture in a 9 by 13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese (½ cup) on top.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
Tips to make this shredded potato casserole:
- You can make this ahead of time. 24 hours in the fridge works great.
- You can use frozen shredded hashbrowns or you can cut whole potatoes into ½" chunks, boil until tender, and use them in this cheesy potatoes casserole. Both methods work great.
- This also makes an amazing freezer meal idea. It tastes just as good after being frozen. Just put the potato casserole in the oven frozen and bake for an extra 30-45 minutes.
- I used whole fat sour cream in this recipe but you can lighten it up by using lite sour cream in this potato casserole with sour cream.
Cheesy Funeral Potatoes Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion yellow onion; diced into ½" pieces
- 1 20 oz bag Shredded Potatoes frozen
- 1 10 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream full fat or lite
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (Save ½ cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion lightly caramelizes - about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1 ½ cup shredded cheese, the cooked onions, garlic salt, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture into your prepared 9"x13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese evenly over the top.
- Put in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven, enjoy!
We love Potato Recipes! Here are a few recipes using potatoes...
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This potato casserole, or known as funeral potatoes in some areas, is total comfort food. It's a cheesy potato casserole made from shredded potatoes, cheese, and sour cream. It's loaded with flavor and one of the best potato casserole recipes.