Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe is and flavorful and easy chicken breast marinade. This easy marinade has simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
If you're looking for a sweet and flavorful chicken marinade, this is the recipe for you. It's an easy dinner idea for any night of the week but fancy enough for entertaining too.
Ingredients for this easy honey mustard chicken marinade:
Chicken Breasts: The size of your chicken breast, big or small, doesn't really matter. If your chicken breast is really thick, you're going to want to even out the thickness. You can put the chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, or you can even use a mason jar to flatten the thickest parts of the chicken breast.
Honey: Any honey will work great.
Mustard: Dijon Mustard works great in this recipe.
Oil: For chicken marinade recipes, I like to use avocado or olive oil. Avocado oil is a really mild tasting oil and has a high heat point which makes it perfect for a grilling recipes too. Olive oil works great too but don't use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe, the flavor is too strong.
Salt and Pepper: Any will work but I like to use sea salt in my cooking recipes. The minerals are healthy!
Minced Garlic: Fresh is always best. If you have fresh garlic on hand and don't mind mincing or pressing the garlic, this is best but no judging if you just use the minced garlic from a jar. Some days you've just gotta do what you've gotta do!
Thyme: Again, fresh is best. I live in an area with all 4 seasons. I like to grow a pot with fresh herbs. The herbs are great 3 seasons of the year. They don't take much time or effort to grow fresh herbs just outside your door. Dried thyme works too but add 50% more because the flavors won't be as strong with the dry thyme.
Lemon Juice: Again, fresh is best but we've all used the lemon juice in a bottle when you don't have a fresh lemon on hand.
Tips for making Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe
How do you know when grilled chicken is done?
Chicken breasts vary in thickness so depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breast you'll need to adjust the time it's on the grill. a thinly sliced chicken breast will cook quicker than a thick chicken breast. I usually like to plan on 3-5 minutes per side on medium to medium-high heat. If your chicken breast is thicker, you'll have to adjust your cooking time.
The USDA recommends heating chicken until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Just remember that the chicken will continue to cook a little after you take it off the grill.
The best way to determine if a chicken breast is thoroughly cooked is to use a digital thermometer and make sure the internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
How to store chicken:
Uncooked or raw chicken should be sealed or tightly wrapped until it's ready to be cooked. For an added safety measure, I like to put the bag or vacuum-sealed chicken in a baking dish or large bowl to prevent any drips from contaminating other food. Raw chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days before cooking and 2-3 days after it's cooked.
Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 4-6 medium sized Chicken Breast plan on about 6 oz of uncooked meat per person
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado OIl Olive Oil works great too
- 2 Tabelspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tabelspoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- In a plastic Ziplock bag, combine the lemon juice, avocado oil, dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix till combined.
- If your chicken breast is really thick, you're going to want to even out the thickness. You can put the chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, or you can even use a mason jar to flatten the thickest parts of the chicken breast.
- Add the chicken breast to the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 2-24 hours.
- Heat the grill to about 375 degrees or on a med-med high heat.
- Place the marinated chicken breast on the grill and cook for 3-5 min. Flip the chicken over when the meat, on the gill side, is golden brown. Cook again for 3-5 minutes. The duration of your cooking time will depend on how thick your chicken breasts are.
- Use a digital meat thermometer to ensure your meat is 165 degrees. If you don't have a meat thermometer, cook the chicken until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let the meat sit about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Other great chicken recipes:
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Breasts Marinade
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Parmesan Ranch Chicken
- Simple Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Flamin Hot Cheeto Chicken Tenders
- Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Cornflake Chicken
- 3 Citrus Chicken Marinade
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe is easy and has so much flavor. It's the best chicken breast marinade. This easy marinade has simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. It's the perfect summer grilling recipe!