This is the Best Baked Beans Recipe made with bacon, ground beef, and canned beans. It’s got a sweet and savory brown sugar sauce and is the perfect side dish to bring to any backyard BBQ or summer potluck.
Best Baked Beans Recipe With Canned Beans
These Homemade Baked Beans are a classic hearty side dish to serve at your next BBQ. They’re made with canned beans, bacon, ground beef, and have a sweet and savory brown sugar sauce made with ketchup, BBQ sauce, and mustard.
They’re quick to prepare and can easily be cooked in the oven or a slow cooker. Feel free to spice up your beans a bit by adding flavorings such as sriracha and Worcestershire sauce. You could also make these into Vegetarian Baked Beans by eliminating the bacon and ground beef.
It’s easy to see why Baked Beans are a classic BBQ favorite. With this recipe, you can make some that taste so much better than premade baked beans from the can.
Ingredients in Homemade Baked Beans
- Bacon - any type of bacon will work great. You will need roughly 12 slices to make this recipe.
- Onion - I like to use a white onion or yellow onion, minced.
- Ground Beef - in order to avoid greasy Baked Beans, try and use a leaner ground beef for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper
- Beans - I love to use cans of Pork and Beans because they have so much rich flavor. You could also substitute Great Northern Beans, pinto beans, or red kidney beans.
- Brown Sugar - light brown sugar works great. You could substitute molasses if you wanted to make a version of Boston Baked Beans.
- Ketchup - any type of ketchup will work great to add tomato. You could also substitute tomato paste.
- BBQ Sauce - you can use your favorite type of BBQ sauce for this recipe.
- Dijon Mustard - you just need a little bit of dijon mustard to counter some of the sweetness and add a bit of tang. If you prefer the flavor you could also use yellow mustard.
- White Wine Vinegar - this also helps balance the sweetness of the beans.
How to Make the Best Baked Beans In the Oven
- Cook the bacon. In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Cook the onions and ground beef. In the same skillet with bacon grease, add the minced white onion. Saute over medium heat until translucent and golden brown. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to taste, then cook until there is just a little pink remaining - about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Once the beef is almost cooked, add the pork and beans (do not drain), brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, and vinegar. Stir until combined.
- Bake. Pour into a 9" x 13" baking dish and spread evenly. Cut bacon into 2" strips and add to the top of the beans. Bake in your preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until the sauce has thickened and the beans are tender.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
How to Make Slow Cooker Baked Beans
To make Slow Cooker Baked Beans, you will prep them exactly the same except that you will add them to a slow cooker instead of a baking dish. Cook on high heat for about 1 ½ hours or on low heat for 2-3 hours.
What To Serve With Baked Beans
There are so many great dishes to serve with Homemade Baked Beans. Basically, think of summer BBQ food. Here are a few ideas:
- Slow Cooker Spare Ribs
- Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Homemade Guacamole
- Strawberry Cream Pie
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! If you want to make Baked Beans ahead of time you have a couple of different options. First, you can make them, cool them down, and store in the fridge overnight. The next day, just pull from the fridge and reheat. Or, you can prepare them, place into a baking dish, and store in the fridge overnight. The next day, you can bake in a preheated oven as directed.
My favorite canned beans to use for this Baked Beans recipe are cans of Pork and Beans. They have so much flavor even before adding any other ingredients. Some other great options are the traditional Great Northern Beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans.
The main difference between regular Baked Beans and Boston Baked Beans is that regular Baked Beans are made with brown sugar while the Boston version uses molasses.
Yup! To make a vegetarian version, just skip the bacon and ground beef, cooking the onion in olive oil instead. Feel free to add other flavoring ingredients such as Worcestershire Sauce, extra BBQ sauce, or garlic powder.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store completely cooled beans in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: you can reheat Baked Beans in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium low heat.
- Make-ahead instructions: you can either make your Baked Beans the night before and reheat the next day. Or, you can prepare the beans by combining all ingredients, then store in the fridge and cook the next day.
Best Baked Beans Recipe
- 12 slices Bacon
- 1 medium White Onion chopped
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 3 15 oz cans Pork and Beans
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- ⅔ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- In the same skillet with bacon grease, add the minced white onion. Saute over medium heat until translucent and golden brown. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to taste, then cook until there is just a little pink remaining - about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the beef is almost cooked, add the pork and beans (do not drain), brown sugar, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, and vinegar. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 9" x 13" baking dish and spread evenly. Cut bacon into 2" strips and add to the top of the beans.
- Bake in your preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until the sauce has thickened and the beans are tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
More of the Best Side Dishes To Try
- Zucchini Fries
- Easy Frog Eye Salad
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Refried Beans
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Chipotle Black Beans
- Parmesan Roasted Red Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- More Summer Recipes
- More Easy Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It and it helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These easy Homemade Baked Beans are a classic side that is always a hit. They're made with canned beans, bacon, ground beef, and a sweet and savory brown sugar sauce.
We tried this recipe for the holiday weekend and loved it so much that it's our new go-to recipe!
Love this recipe! It's always a hit with my family. Thanks!
Thanks for this delicious recipe. Love baked beans!