This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken recipe is everyone's favorite year-round! It has a delicious teriyaki chicken marinade that can be made in advance and then it's grilled to perfection. We'll show you step-by-step how to make the best-grilled chicken teriyaki.
If you love teriyaki recipes, be sure to try our Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki, Teriyaki Glazed Salmon, and also our Beef And Broccoli Teriyaki.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Video Tutorial
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
This teriyaki chicken recipe has everything you love in a great teriyaki chicken marinade.
It has a deep soy flavor, a hint of ginger, sweetness, and garlic. You can make this recipe into grilled teriyaki chicken thighs, chicken breasts, or chicken teriyaki tenderloins.
The best cut of chicken to use in grilled teriyaki chicken is the chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are dark meat and have a higher fat percentage giving you a more juicy cut of meat.
You can cook chicken teriyaki in several ways, here are a few of our favorites.
-GRILL: Marinate chicken for several hours and then cook on a grill. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Since it's dark meat, it's best to cook it a little more than breast meat. The internal tempreture for chicken thighs is 175.
-OVEN: You can also bake this chicken teriyaki in the oven. Simply place the chicken in a single layer, in a glass baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 ? oven for about 50-55 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 175.
Since it is dark meat, you can cook it a little longer without it drying out. Chicken thighs are technically done at 165 but when cooked to 175, they have a much better texture.
What to serve with Teriyaki Chicken
- Coconut Rice or plain rice
- Rice Pilaf
- Brussels Sprouts
- Fresh or Grilled Pineapple
- Pineapple Cake
Recipe Variations for Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Spicy: Add a kick to your teriyaki chicken by using hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes in the marinade. You can also top it with a drizzle of sriracha sauce after grilling.
- Citrusy: Add some tangy flavor to your teriyaki chicken by adding orange or lemon zest to the marinade. You can also squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice on top of the grilled chicken before serving.
- Smoky: Infuse your teriyaki chicken with smoky flavor by using a smoker. You can also grill it over wood chips or charcoal for a charred and smoky taste.
- Fruity: Add some sweetness and texture to your teriyaki chicken by adding pineapple chunks or mango slices to the skewers. The sweetness of the fruits pairs well with the salty and savory teriyaki flavor.
- Veggie: You can also grill some vegetables along with your teriyaki chicken for a complete meal. Bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms are great options to pair with teriyaki chicken.
These recipe variations for grilled teriyaki chicken are sure to elevate your grilling game and impress your taste buds. Whether you like it sweet, savory, spicy, or fruity, a teriyaki chicken recipe variation is perfect for you!
Tips for Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Marinate Teriyaki Chicken for 2-24 hours. Letting the chicken marinate longer gives you super flavorful BBQ Teriyaki Chicken.
- After you have grilled the chicken, place the chicken on a platter and cover with foil wrap for 5 minutes. This will help the juices in the chicken redistribute.
- Slice the chicken into small strips. Drizzle the juices from the platter onto the cut-up teriyaki grilled chicken.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- 4-5 medium sized Chicken Thighs (plan on about 6 oz of meat per person)
- 1 cup Soy Sauce low sodium works great too
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Oil Avocado Oil works great
- ¼ cup Green Onions sliced
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Powder or 2" fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 teaspoon Seseme Seeds to garnish
Terikayi Chicken Marinade
- In a gallon Ziplock plastic bag, add the chicken, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, green onions, ginger, and minced garlic. Let the chicken sit in the marinade for 2-24 hours.
How to cook the teriyaki chicken
- When you are ready to grill the chicken teriyaki, preheat the grill to about 335 degrees. It's best to cook it a little slower than normal so the sugar in the marinade doesn't burn.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 5-7 min. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Take the chicken off the grill and let it sit on a platter for about 5 minutes to cool a little and let the juices re-distribute in the chicken.
- if you'd like sauce for your teriyaki chicken, take the leftover marinade and strain the green onions out of it. Pout the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a rapid boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Drizzle a little sauce over the grilled teriyaki chicken or reserve a little to enjoy with rice or steamed veggies. Enjoy!
Here are a few more chicken recipes you'll love...
- Monterey Chicken
- Red Chicken Enchiladas
- Buffalo Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- More Chicken Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This Grilled Teriyaki Chicken is everyone's favorite year-round! It has a delicious chicken marinade that can be made in advance. This recipe will show you step by step how to make chicken teriyaki. This is the best teriyaki chicken recipe!
Leave a Reply