This Cheddar Queso Dip made with no Velveeta cheese is easy and so delicious!! It’s a cheesy easy appetizer recipe that will be a hit at your next tailgate party or nacho night!
Base for the Cheddar Queso Recipe:
This is the begging of some amazing queso dip. It all starts with some minced garlic, onion, and peppers.
You can use any peppers you like. For this recipe, I am using some jalapeno pepper and some yellow peppers that were on their last leg in my fridge. Yellow, orange, and red peppers would work the best. When I say, “work the best,” I’m only saying that because it won’t turn the queso dip a funky color.
I’m sure green peppers will taste great too if that’s all you have on hand!
This base, the minced onions, jalapeno pepper, and garlic, will give your queso dip some layers of flavor. I used the food processor and minced the onion first. I added a little avocado oil and butter to a pan and cooked the onions until they were cooked thoroughly.
Then I added the peppers and garlic and cooked them until they were also cooked thoroughly.
You can use just about any type of cheddar cheese for this recipe. Sharp cheese is my first pick. Sharp cheese will give it the most flavor but it’ll still turn out great if you use medium cheddar or milk cheddar.
Cheesy Easy Appetizers:
If you’re looking for some cheesy easy appetizers, look no further. We have a few easy appetizers that will satisfy the cheese lover in you. If a cheeseball is what you’re after, try this Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball, or Loaded Baked Potato Skins, 3 Cheese Pesto Flatbread, and Homemade Pepperjack Queso.
Easy Appetizer Dips:
There are so many easy appetizer dips. Load it up on a carrot stick or cracker and bam, you’ve got a great appetizer recipe. If you love artichokes, you need to try this recipe for Jalapeno Artichoke Dip, Classic Cheese Queso Dip or try this homemade 5-minute salsa, and Lemon Cheesecake Fruit Dip, and Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Dip is great as a fruit dip.
Tips for making the most amazing Cheddar Queso Dip:
- Use a food processor to mince your onions first and then your peppers and garlic.
- Be sure to cook the onions thoroughly before you add the peppers and the onions. You definitely don’t want chunky onions.
- Be sure to shred your own cheese. If you use store-bought shredded cheese it will be stringy because of the additive they add to prevent the cheese from caking.
- If you like more heat, add 2 jalapeno peppers. This queso dip is pretty mild.
How to Make Cheddar Queso Cheese Dip:
Shred the sharp cheddar cheese.
Sprinkle the cornstarch on the cheese and mix with your hands.
With the grating attachment on the food processor, grate the onion.
Pour the onions in a saute pan and add a little oil. Cook on medium heat until the onions are cooked and slightly golden brown.
Grate the jalapeno, garlic, and pepper. Add them to the sauteed onions and saute thoroughly. The veggies should be done but not brown.
Add the evaporated milk, spices, salt and pepper, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until melted and smooth.
Keep warm in a crockpot or in the oven on warm until you are ready to eat. Serve with veggies, bread, or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Cheddar Queso Dip
- 12 oz Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (from a brick, not pre-shredded)
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Onion (minced-use the food processor to make it faster)
- 1/2 Cup Red, yellow or Orange Pepper-minced
- 1/2 large Jalapeno -minced, again, use a food processor to make it quicker
- 4 oz Green Chillies- from a can
- 14 oz Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Butter-For sauteeing the veggies
- 2 Tablspoons Avocado oil-for sauteeing the veggies
- Shred the sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the cornstarch on the cheese and mix with your hands.
- With the grating attachemnt on the food processor, grate the onion. Pour the onions in a saute pan and add the onions. Cook on medium heat until the onions are cooked.
- Grate the jalapeno, garlic, and pepper. Add them to the sauteed onions and saute thoroughly. The veggies should be done but not brown.
- Add the evaporated milk, spices, salt and pepper and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Keep warm in a crockpot until you are ready to eat. Serve with veggies or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for some of the best appetizers, try these appetizer recipes.
This Homemade Cheddar Queso Dip Recipe is made with no Velveeta cheese is easy and so delicious!! It will be a hit at your next tailgate party or nacho night!