This Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Fresh Tomato and Basil is an easy, healthy and delicious appetizer. This homemade bruschetta recipe is made from fresh tomatoes with basil, olive oil, and vinegar, served on toasted bread.
What's the difference between crostini and bruschetta?
It's pretty much the same thing, different types of bread you serve it on. Both are delicious! Bruschetta comes from the Italian word “bruchete” meaning “to roast over coals” and is made by toasting whole, wide slices of a rustic Italian or sourdough type bread. Crostini are sliced and toasted from a smaller, round, finer-textured bread, more like a white bread baguette.
Do you have to refrigerate bruschetta?
Yes, it's best to refrigerate bruschetta. You can leave it out for up to a couple of hours but to keep it food-safe, it needs to be chilled.
Can I make bruschetta the night before?
Yes, in fact, it tastes even better if made the night before. All the amazing flavors of tomatoes, onions, and basil will meld together to make this delicious appetizer.
How do you store bruschetta?
After you have made your homemade bruschetta, you can store it in an airtight container until you're ready to serve it. Don't leave the tomato mixture out of the fridge for more than a couple hours. It'll last in the fridge for about 3 days. Spoon it onto grilled or boiled bread when you're ready to serve.
What goes well with bruschetta?
Bruschetta is a great appetizer recipe. If you're wanting to make it more of a light dinner, top with a thick slice of fresh mozzarella and/or some prosciutto. Some other ideas are pulled pork, a mixture of sauteed vegetables or even some goat cheese. Yum and Yum.
How do you keep bruschetta from getting soggy?
Toasting or broiling your bread will really help with this. Be sure to assemble your fresh tomato bruschetta just before serving to keep it from being soggy. The best bruschetta is when it has been assembled for 10-20 minutes and the juices have soaked into the bread and it's also still crunchy, the perfect bruschetta texture.
What kind of tomatoes do you use for bruschetta?
You can use just about any type of tomato for this recipe. In fact, it's delicious with several varieties of tomatoes. The yellow, orange and purple tomatoes are so so pretty.
How To Make Homemade Bruschetta:
- preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse 4 large tomatoes.
- Cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Chop half a red onion into small 1/4" chunks
- Coarsely chop the fresh basil
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the tomato chunks, red onion, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix
- Slice your baguette or french bread into 3/4" slices.
- Lay on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes. Flip the bread over to the other side and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Half a garlic clove and rub the garlic on the warm bread.
- Spoon the fresh tomato bruschetta onto the slice of toasted bread
- Splash with balsamic vinegar if desired. Serve immediately.
Here are some other great appetizer recipes too:
Bacon Ranch Cheeseball
Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Fresh Tomato and Basil
- 4 Garden Fresh Tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 Cup Red Onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil (minced)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 Clove Garlic (peeled and halved)
- 1 Loaf French Bread (cut into 3/4" thick slices)
- Splash Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper, and mix. Set aside.
- Rub garlic onto each slice of bread.
- Bake the bread slices in a 425 degree oven for 5 minutes or until toasted. Flip over and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp of tomato mixture onto each slice of bread.
- Add a splash of the balsamic mixture on top if desired and serve immediately.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Easy Bruschetta Recipe with Fresh Tomato and Basil is made from fresh tomatoes with basil, olive oil, and vinegar served on toasted bread. Homemade Bruschetta is an easy, healthy and delicious appetizer.