These Red White and Blue M&Ms Cookies take our favorite chocolate chip cookie and dress it up for the Fourth of July, or any other patriotic holiday. They’re perfectly chewy, packed full of chocolate chips and M&M candies and are sure to disappear fast.
Easy Red White and Blue Cookies
Whether you are heading out to a BBQ or sticking around home, these Red White and Blue M&Ms Cookies are a great way to celebrate. They’re easy to throw together and you can even freeze the dough super far ahead of time if you know you’ll be busy.
Around the 4th of July, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting your hands on Red White and Blue candies. But, if you don’t see any in the stores you can always order them online. And if you hadn’t guessed already, you can absolutely use this recipe to make chocolate chip cookies with different colored M&Ms for any occasion that you can imagine. You can even buy single colors in bulk, or mix and match.
Ingredients in Red White and Blue M&Ms Cookies
- Butter - use unsalted, room temperature butter.
- Sugar - regular white granulated sugar.
- Brown Sugar - we like to use light brown sugar for this recipe.
- Eggs - any kind of large eggs will work. It’s best if they are at room temperature so that they don’t “shock” the butter when you add them.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Salt - we like to use sea salt.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - the combination of these two ingredients helps the cookies to rise and stay nice and soft.
- Flour - we use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips - we love to use Guittard brand dark or semi sweet chocolate chips.
- M&Ms - during the summer, you should be able to find Red White and Blue M&Ms at the grocery store. But, if you have trouble you can easily order them online or use any other type of red white and blue candies.
How to Make Red White and Blue M&Ms Cookies
- Make the dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar using the paddle attachment for about 3-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, vanilla extract and salt and mix on low to combine. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix until combined, then add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until combined, scraping the bottom and the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the chocolate chips and M&Ms and mix on low just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Scoop the cookies. Using a small ice cream scoop, or a spoon, scoop 2" balls and place onto an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and set around the edges.
- Cool. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Do not overbake! No one likes an overbaked chocolate chip cookie. Ok, maybe some people do, but we love the chewy centers. Be sure that you remove them from the oven just when the edges start to become golden brown, but the centers are still soft.
- Picture perfect. If you want to go the extra mile and make these cookies extra pretty, top each cookie with a few extra M&Ms as soon as you pull it out of the oven. The heat from the cookies will melt the bottoms making them stick.
- Room temperature ingredients. Getting your ingredients to room temperature is key to making perfect cookie dough. It ensures a nice, homogenous mix without having to overmix.
- Chilling the dough. Unless you are really running short on time, it’s always a good idea to chill your cookie dough. It helps them from getting too flat, and keeps them nice and chewy. Once scooped, even a 30 minute chill in the fridge can make a difference. But, you can refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Red White and Blue M&M Peanut Butter Cookies - add M&Ms to our favorite Peanut Butter Cookies recipe. Yum!
- Red White and Blue M&M Cookie Bars - make the dough as directed then press gently into a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Switch up the candies. You can use any other types of red white and blue candies or sprinkles that you can find without making any other adjustments to the recipe.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- Baked cookies: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezing cookie dough: The easiest way is to make and scoop the dough as directed, then place onto a baking tray and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Once rock hard, transfer to freezer bags and store for up to 3 months. To bake, just pull the cookies out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and preheat your oven for at least 30 minutes. Bake as directed, adding an extra minute or two to the total time.
- Freezing baked cookies: You can also freeze baked cookies for up to 3 months, if you happen to have a lot left over. You should freeze them in an airtight container separated by layers of parchment paper and thaw either in the fridge or at room temperature.
More 4th of July Recipes
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- American Flag Brownies
- Brownie Bites
- No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes
- Red White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
- Berry Salad
- Fruit Pizza
- French Toast Bake
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
Red White and Blue M&M's Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large Eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips Guittard or similar brand
- 2 cups Red, White and Blue M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar using the paddle attachment for about 3-5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, vanilla and salt and mix on low to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix until combined, then add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until mixed, scraping the bottom and the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the chocolate chips and M&Ms and mix on low, just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Using a small ice cream scoop, or a spoon, scoop 2" balls and place onto an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 9-11 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and set around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
More Cookie Recipes we Love...
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Lemon Cookies with Glaze
- Oatmeal Butterscotch
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Best Cookie Recipes
- More Cookie Recipes
- More Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Whether you are heading out to a BBQ or sticking around home, these Red White and Blue M&Ms Cookies are a great way to celebrate. They’re perfectly chewy, packed full of chocolate chips and M&M candies and are sure to disappear fast.