This Caramel Apple Crisp With Oat Topping is the most amazing fall dessert. It’s made with fresh apples and caramel sauce and has a crunchy and chewy oat crumble topping. It’s an incredible caramel apple crisp recipe!
Caramel Apple Crisp Video Tutorial
If caramel apples are your thing, here's a guide to the Best Caramel Apples. You can make your own at home and customize them to the season you're in. Seriously, so good. And if it's caramel that's your thing, these Caramel Peanut Butter Cookies bars, Homemade Caramel, and Easy Caramel Popcorn are incredible too! Everyone loves them and they're so easy to make.
I grew up making Betty Crocker Apple Crisp. It was one of the recipes I used often when I was learning how to bake. This apple caramel crisp dessert recipe is a little different than that one, mostly that the sweetness comes from caramel apple sauce but the idea is the same, warm apples in a caramel sauce with an oat crumble topping.
This amazing apple crisp with oat topping is best served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream. Seriously, drool-worthy!
Apple crisp With Oat Topping:
There are several options you have when it comes to a crumb topping for apple crisp. There’s crumble topping made from flour, brown sugar, and butter, a pecan nut crumble topping, or like this recipe, and personally my favorite, an apple crisp with oat topping.
It’s crumbly, sweet, and has a fantastic texture on this warm dessert recipe. It crisps up really great and is the perfect combo to tart and sweet apples.
Ingredients in Apple Filling for Apple Crisp:
- Apples- You can use any crisp apple variety. Gala, Honey crisp, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Fuji are all great apple options. A fun way to get some variance in your apples is to use a variety of apples. You can use really crisp, fresh apples or even apples that are getting a little old and just need to be used up.
- Lemon Juice- This will add a little tartness to your apple crisp and also keep the apples from turning brown while you prepare the apple crisp topping.
- Flour: A little flour on the fresh apples will keep the apple crisp from being too runny.
- Cinnamon- adds the perfect amount of warm fall flavors.
- Caramel Sauce- I used a Smucker's brand caramel apple sauce. You can use just about any flavor you have. However, I wouldn’t use something as runny as the Hershey’s in the apple crisp with caramel sauce. It’s just too runny and will make your crisp watery. You’ll be happier with a thick caramel sauce.
Crunchy Topping For Apple Crisp
- Oats- Use regular rolled oats. This gives it the hearty structure and helps give the apple crisp the chewy crumbly texture we all love.
- Flour- Regular, all-purpose flour works great. This will help bind everything together.
- Brown Sugar- Use light or dark brown sugar. Either works great.
- Cinnamon- This gives it that rich warm flavor that is the perfect combination with warm apples
- Nutmeg- Another great flavor addition in this apple crisp recipe.
More Amazing Caramel Desserts
- Apple Dip with Cream Cheese
- Caramel Pretzel Rods
- Caramel Candy
- Caramel Apples
- Gourmet Coconut Caramel Popcorn
Caramel Apple Crisp With Oat Topping
- 6 Apples (and crisp apple variety, or a mixture of varieties work great)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Flour all-purpose
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Caramel Topping as long as it's thick, it'll work great.
- 8 Tbsp Butter (softened)
- ½ Cup Flour
- ⅔ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Oats regular rolled oats
For the Apple Mixture
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and slice the apples into ½" chunks.
- In a bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice and stir to coat the apples.
- Sprinkle the flour and cinnamon on the apples and toss until the apples are well coated.
- Place the apple mixture into a 9" pie plate.
- Drizzle about a ½ cup of the caramel topping over the apple mixture.
For the Oat Topping
- Mix the softened butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Add in the oats and mix until well combined. You can use your hands to mix this. You want the mixture well combine and in small crumbles, about ½" chunks.
- Using your fingers, sprinkle the oat topping over the apple mixture.
- Place in a 400-degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Drizzle a little more caramel on top to garnish. Enjoy
Can you make apple crisp with gala apples?Are gala apple crisp, yes, Gala apples would be a great apple variety to use in this apple crisp recipe?
Can you use Granny Smith apples for apple crisp?Granny Smith apples would work great for apple crisp.
How to keep apple crisp from getting soggy:The added flour to the fresh apples will keep it from having a lot of apple juice and in turn, keep it from being soggy. Also, different apple varieties cook a little differently. If Your apples are baked and soft but your topping isn’t as crisp as you’d like it, just broil the top of the crisp on low for a couple of minutes. Be careful though. There’s a lot of sugar in this dessert and it could really burn easily.
Here are some of the best dessert recipes your family will love:
- Zucchini Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream
- Disney Copycat Dolewhip
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Nutella Cheesecake
- No-bake Cheesecake
- Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
- Classic Cinnamon Rolls
- Eggnog Cookies
- Gingersnap Cookies
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- More of the Best Desserts
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Caramel Apple Crisp With Oat Topping is the most amazing caramel apple crisp recipe. It’s made with fresh apples and caramel sauce and has a crunchy and chewy oat crumble topping.