This coconut caramel popcorn recipe is a step-by-step guide. I will show you how to make the most delicious homemade caramel popcorn!! It has layers of flavors, toasted coconut, coconut-flavored caramel, and a chocolate drizzle!
If you love fun popcorn recipes, be sure to check out my recipe for this ooey gooey Marshmallow Popcorn Recipe and you're also going to love this easy Caramel Popcorn Recipe. It's easy and such and fun treat!
To get started on this recipe, the first thing you will want to toast some coconut. Here's an easy way to do it.
How to Toast Coconut
The easiest way I have found to toast coconut is to do it in a frying pan. All you need is a non-stick frying pan and your coconut.
- Put the shredded coconut in the frying pan and turn it on medium heat.
- Don't stir the coconut until it is golden brown on the bottom.
- When it's golden brown, you can stir it with a spoon.
- The coconut layer on the bottom of the pan will become golden much quicker.
- Be sure to stay close to the pan and keep stirring until it's toasted to your satisfaction.
How to make Homemade Caramel Popcorn
- Start with a large non-stick pan. (The caramel bubbles up when it cooks, so be sure your pan is big enough the caramel can bubble up two times its size.)
- Add your butter, and melt it on medium heat. Add the sugar, corn syrup, brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk.
- While stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a rapid boil and continue to cook the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 235-240.
- You can ensure great results if you use a candy thermometer. If you're familiar with the cold water test, you can use that too. At 235-240 degrees, you can drop a spoonful of caramel into a bowl of cold water, and using your fingers. You can make a softball.
- Add the coconut extract and the salt and mix until incorporated.
- Pour over air-popped popcorn and then spread onto a baking sheet or wait till it cools a little and shapes into popcorn balls.
You can use this recipe for coconut caramel popcorn or caramel popcorn balls, or just pour into a nine by 13" baking dish and cut it into squares when it's cool. I also love to drop a spoonful on a pretzel and drizzle with chocolate and sea salt flakes.
If you're a hardcore coconut lover, check out the coconut syrup and coconut french toast here.
And if you're looking for something with coconut to serve for breakfast, try this coconut french toast bake.
Tips For Making Coconut Caramel Popcorn:
- Pop a couple of large bowls of popcorn before you start toasting the coconut or making the caramel.
- When you're making the caramel, keep stirring so it doesn't scorch
- The coconut burns easily, too, so keep an eye on it and stit while it is toasting.
- The marshmallow step is optional. It's good, with or without the marshmallows.
- You can use this recipe for coconut caramel popcorn or caramel popcorn balls, or just pour into a nine by 13" baking dish and cut it into squares when it's cool.
- Let the popcorn cool on a baking sheet for an hour before serving. It'll be a lot less messy that way.
- Bring the caramel to softball stage of 235-240 degrees
Coconut Caramel Popcorn
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Karo Syrup
- 1 Can Sweet Condensed Milk
- 2 teaspoon Coconut Extract
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 Cups Marshmallows
- 1 Bag Chocolate Chips
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Cups Shredded Coconut
- In a large non-stick pot, melt the butter. Add the sugar, brown sugar, karo syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil while stirring.
- While using a candy thermometer, bring to a rapid boil of 235-240 degrees. Remove from heat and add the coconut extract and the salt.
- Pour ¾ of your caramel mixture onto your popcorn and stir until all of the popcorn is covered in caramel. If you want a lot of caramel on your popcorn, use less popcorn, I didn't give an exact amount of popped popcorn because everyone like it a little different. For this recipe I would error on the side of a light coating of caramel because we are still going to add a few layers. Spread the caramel popcorn onto a couple of cookie sheets sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to cool.
- With the remaining ¼ of caramel, add the 2 cups of marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are melted or almost melted. Put it back on the heat to melt the marshmallows if needed.
- Drizzle the marshmallow caramel mixture on the caramel popcorn on the cookie sheets.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add 2 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the chocolate chips and microwave for 1 min. Stir the chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again. Repeat this until the chocolate chips are melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate chips on the caramel popcorn and sprinkle the toasted coconut on top. Let the popcorn rest and cool for about an hour before serving.
- Put into clear plastic cups to serve. Enjoy!
Other easy no-bake dessert Ideas
- Chocolate Dip
- Cheesecake Dip
- Mini Cheesecakes
- Creamsicle Cheesecake
- Chocolate No Bake Cookies
- Cornflake Cookies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Smores Bars
- Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- Coconut No Bakes
- Buckeye Dip
- More No Bake Desserts
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This coconut caramel popcorn recipe is a step-by-step guide, I will show you how make the most delicious homemade caramel popcorn!! It has layers of flavors, toasted coconut, coconut flavored caramel, and a chocolate drizzle!