These amazing Egg Nog Cookies are my edition of a perfect Christmas cookie. There are a lot of Christmas cookie recipes out there to choose from so if you’re looking for a soft and chewy sugar cookie or snickerdoodle and love the flavors of eggnog, these little cuties are for you!
The Best Eggnog Cookie recipe:
There aren’t many eggnog cookies out there so if you’re wondering what exactly an eggnog cookie is, well, the closest thing I can think of, to this darling, is a Christmas Sugar cookie with eggnog flavored frosting.
What exactly makes it an eggnog cookie you ask? Well, let me tell you. It’s mostly a sugar cookie recipe, except I added cinnamon and nutmeg to the cookie dough.
The Christmas cookie balls are rolled in cinnamon and sugar, baked and then smothered with an amazing eggnog buttercream frosting.
The Best Christmas Cookies:
These are the best Christmas cookies. They’re perfect for class parties at school, a fun treat to take to work, or perfect for a Christmas cookie exchange.
Tips for making these easy Christmas Cookies:
- These cookies have a pretty strong nutmeg and cinnamon flavor. If you don’t prefer to have such strong flavors, just cut the spices in half.
- You can make the dough ahead of time
- Don’t overmix the cookie dough. You can beat the butter and sugar together but when adding the flour, mix just enough to incorporate the ingredients.
- Roll the cookie in a cinnamon and sugar mixture before baking.
- The Eggnog buttercream frosting is optional. These Christmas Cookies are great either way!
Eggnog Cookies with Eggnog Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Cup Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 3/4-3 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Sugar and CInnamon mixture
- 1/4 Cup Sugar to roll the balls in
- 1 tsp Cinnamon to roll the balls in
Eggnog Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. mix.
- Combine the butter/sugar mixture with the flour mixture and mix.
- In a small cereal bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 1/4" balls and drop the cookie dough balls into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Place 12 dough balls on a baking sheet about 3" apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until just golden on the edges.
- Take the cookie out of the oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let them rest until they are completely cooled.
Eggnog Buttercream Frosting
- With an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and powdered sugar. mix until the butter and powdered sugar mixture resemble small peas. Slowly add the eggnog while mixing with the electric mixer. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread the eggnog buttercream frosting on the sugar cookies and add sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for some other delicious Christmas cookie recipes, here are a few you’re gonna wanna try!
and don’t forget these Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars!
And these cute little Ornament Cookies made from white chocolate dipped Oreo cookies
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Pin This for Later!
These amazing Homemade Egg Nog Cookies are my edition of a perfect Christmas cookie. There are a lot of Christmas cookie recipes out there to choose from so if you’re looking for a soft and chewy sugar cookie or snickerdoodle and love the flavors of eggnog, these little cuties are for you!