This simple Caramel Monkey Bread recipe starts with refrigerated biscuits that are tossed in cinnamon sugar and smothered in sticky brown sugar pecan caramel. It’s ooey gooey, absolutely delicious, and easy peasy to throw together for a holiday or any weekend morning.
Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread
Our Caramel Monkey Bread tastes like gooey bites of fluffy cinnamon rolls drenched in buttery caramel goodness, full of caramelized pecans in each and every glorious bite. Wowza! Plus, this sweet treat couldn’t be simpler to put together, thanks to our secret ingredient: refrigerated biscuit dough.
This easy monkey bread is so quick to throw together that it makes a great lazy Saturday morning breakfast at home, but it’s also perfect for Christmas or Easter morning brunch. Once you make this recipe, you’ll understand why it is one of our most requested family favorites.
If you want to make Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread completely from scratch, you can. In fact, our Caramel Cinnamon Rolls dough doubles as an excellent monkey bread dough. But most mornings, let’s get real. We don’t want to wait any longer than we have to!
What To Serve With Caramel Monkey Bread
Caramel Pecan Monkey bread goes great with just about any other sweet or savory breakfast foods. On the savory side, try pairing with our Spinach and Feta Quiche, Sausage Biscuit Casserole, Bacon or Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. Any type of hash browned potatoes, sausages or eggs would taste great, too.
Pecan Caramel Monkey Bread Ingredients
- Refrigerated Biscuits - you can use any brand of refrigerated, canned biscuit dough. Personally we like the Pillsbury Grands brand which you can find at just about any grocery store.
- Cinnamon - any kind of ground cinnamon will work. This would also taste great with a pinch of cardamom added to the cinnamon.
- Sugar - you want to use regular granulated sugar.
- Butter - unsalted butter will taste best in this recipe.
- Brown Sugar - we use light brown sugar in this recipe.
- Cream - any type of heavy whipping cream will work.
- Salt - we like to use sea salt.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Pecans - we like pecans best, but you could also use walnut pieces.
How to Make Monkey Bread with Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Open and separate the biscuit dough cans, then cut each biscuit into four pieces. Roll a handful of the cut biscuit pieces into the cinnamon sugar mixture at a time, making sure to cover all the dough, then transfer to a separate large bowl and continue until all of the biscuit pieces are covered.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, cream, and salt to the melted butter, and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue stirring and cooking at a rapid boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Let the butter mixture cool for a minute or so, then pour over the cinnamon sugar-coated biscuit pieces in the bowl and gently toss to coat. Once they are evenly coated, add the biscuit pieces into your prepared bundt pan, making sure they are filled evenly around the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes (Note: if you use a dark bundt pan, you may need to bake for an extra 5-10 minutes), or until the edges are golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before inverting it to a large plate or serving platter. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread
Experiment with these variations to create your own unique twist on Caramel Monkey Bread. Whether you prefer a traditional cinnamon-sugar flavor or a more adventurous combination, there is a recipe variation to suit every taste and occasion.
- Caramel Apple Monkey Bread: Toss diced apple in cinnamon and brown sugar before layering them with the dough.
- Chocolate Caramel Monkey Bread: Instead of using regular caramel sauce, make a luscious chocolate caramel sauce by melting chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Salted Caramel Monkey Bread: Add a touch of sea salt to the caramel sauce before baking. The addition of salt enhances the sweetness and creates a delightful balance of flavors.
- Pumpkin Spice Caramel Monkey Bread: Embrace the flavors of fall by adding a dash of pumpkin spice to your caramel monkey bread. Mix the spice blend into the dough or sprinkle it over the caramel sauce for a warm and aromatic treat.
- Maple Pecan Monkey Bread: Combine the flavors of maple and pecan by drizzling maple syrup over the caramel sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Instead of refrigerated biscuits, you can use frozen yeasted dinner rolls (you’ll need about 20 for this size recipe). Just allow them to thaw and cut them into quarters, then make the rest of the recipe exactly as directed. You’ll want to find a frozen raw brand, such as Rhodes.
Yup, you sure can. Just make sure it cools completely after baking, then wrap in two layers of aluminum foil and place in a large freezer bag, or another airtight container. It can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Once you are ready to serve, let it thaw out in the fridge overnight, then remove the aluminum foil and rewarm in a 300 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
You can use this recipe in all sorts of other pans. This size batch will work in a 9” x 13” baking pan, 2 loaf pans or use cupcake pans to make individual miniature monkey bread!
Remember that if you do use a different pan, the baking time will change - the smaller the pan, the less time it will take to bake.
Tips & Tricks
- Work quickly with your refrigerated biscuits - they will rise best in the oven if they go in while still cool.
- Try substituting canned cinnamon rolls for the biscuits for an even sweeter version!
- Make sure to remove the Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread from the pan after 10 minutes, or else the caramel sauce will start to solidify and stick to the pan. If you forget, you can toss it back into a warm oven for a couple of minutes and then invert it. Another trick - use a hairdryer on the hottest setting and blow it over the outside of the pan! Works like a charm.
Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread Recipe
- 2 16.3-oz. cans Refrigerated Biscuits Pillsbury Grands or similar brand
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
Caramel Pecan Sauce
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- ⅔ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Pecans coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Open and separate the biscuit cans, then cut each biscuit into four pieces. Roll a handful of the cut biscuit pieces into the cinnamon and sugar mixture at a time, making sure to cover all the dough, then transfer to a separate large bowl and continue until all of the biscuit pieces are covered.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, cream, and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue stirring and cooking at a rapid boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Let the butter mixture cool for a minute or so, then pour over the cinnamon sugar coated biscuit pieces in the bowl and gently toss to coat. Once they are evenly coated, spoon them into your prepared bundt pan, making sure they are filled evenly around the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes (Note: if you use a dark bundt pan, you may need to bake for an extra 5-10 minutes), or until the edges are golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before inverting it to a large plate or serving platter. Enjoy!
More Sweet Breakfast Treats
- Easy Monkey Bread
- Apple Monkey Bread
- Pizza Monkey Bread
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Triple Berry Sweet Rolls
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Classic French Toast Bake
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- More Sweet Breakfast Recipes
More Caramel Recipes You'll love...
- Caramel Roll Recipe
- Caramel Sauce for Apples
- Best Apples For Caramel Apples
- Caramel Candy Recipes
- Caramel Popcorn Recipe
- Caramel Dip Recipe for Apples
- Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Recipe
- More Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Caramel Pecan Monkey Bread is ooey gooey, absolutely delicious and easy peasy to throw together for a holiday or any weekend morning. One bite and you’ll understand why it is one of our most requested family favorites.