This smashed potato recipe is an easy and fun smashed red potatoes recipe. This delicious side dish flavored with garlic salt, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. It’s a fun alternative to roasted fingerling potatoes or potato skins.
You can serve these smash potatoes as garlic smashed potatoes recipe or add the cheese and bacon bits. Either way, your crew is going to love them. They work great as an appetizer or as a delicious potato side dish.
This is a great recipe for smashed potatoes. There’s no need to peel the potatoes. You can simply wash the mini potatoes, poke a couple holes in them, and pop them in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. You want the potatoes to be cooked well enough to mash them.
To mash the little potatoes, simply lay them on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and smash them with a potato masher.
I like to use a few tablespoons of melted butter and a few tablespoons of cooking oil (avocado oil works great) to drizzle on the potatoes. Sprinkle garlic salt on the potatoes and let them roast in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the edges are a golden brown.
You can sprinkle just about any kind of cheese on the roasted smashed potatoes, shredded cheddar cheese or a fiesta blend cheese.
As far as the bacon goes, you can make your own bacon bits from fresh bacon or you can use the bacon bits, precooked, sold in stores. That’s definitely the easiest way to do it. I love the Kirkland brand from Costco and keep them on hand to add to my eggs and favorite potato dishes.
We love Potato Recipes! Here are a few recipes using potatoes..
Tips for Making these Garlic Smashed Potatoes Recipe:
- Use small or fingerling potatoes.
- No need to peel the potatoes
- Be sure to put a couple pokes in the potatoes before microwaving so they can release steam as they cook
- If you’d rather not microwave the little potatoes, you can boil them until you can prick them with a fork and them potato barley holds on to the fork. You want them just soft enough to smash with a potato masher.
- You can make these garlic smashed potatoes or add the cheese and bacon. Both are delicious!
- They are amazing dipped in ranch dressing.
This smashed potato recipe is an easy and fun smashed red potatoes recipe. This delicious side dish flavored with garlic salt, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. It's a fun alternative to roasted
- 1.5 lb Small Potatoes fingerling potatoes work great too.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oilq (or any cooking oil)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese Cheddar or mixed cheese work great
- 1/2 cup Bacon bits precooked
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
Wash the small potatoes and prick each with a fork a couple times. Microwave all the potatoes on a plate for about 8-10 minutes or until they are soft when you prick them with a fork.
Add the microwaved potatoes to the baking dish. Use a potato masher to mash the little potatoes. (It doesn't take much. Don't over mash them. They should be about 1/2"thick after you smash them. Drizzle the butter and oil over the smashed potatoes.
Sprinkle garlic salt on the smashed potatoes and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden. Add the cheese and bacon and bake for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bacon is a little crisp. Enjoy!
The Carefree Kitchen Socials:
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Come find me!
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/the_carefree_kitchen/
Save this for later!!