This Lemon Cooler Cookie recipe is super tender and full of nostalgic lemony flavor. They are buttery, sweet and covered in a powdered lemonade mixture just like the originals.
Homemade Lemon Cookies Recipe
Who here remembers the boxed grocery store Lemon Cooler Cookies of the 1980s? In case you don’t remember (or aren’t old enough!), they were sweet, tart, buttery, tender and covered in a thick lemony powdered sugar dust that would melt in your mouth. Think lemon squares, but in cookie form.
This recipe for homemade Lemon Cooler Cookies takes those boxed cookies and gives them an upgrade by using fresh lemons and real butter. The true secret ingredient, however, is the tiny bit of powdered lemonade mix that we mix into the powdered sugar for a sweet lemony flavor bomb.
These cookies store and freeze great so if you’re up for it, go ahead and double the recipe so that you can have some for now and some for later. And, If you’re looking for more of the best lemon recipes, we’ve got you covered.
Ingredients in Lemon Cooler Cookies
- Butter - since there is no salt in this dough, we like to use salted butter. Be sure it is at room temperature so that it will cream properly.
- Sugar - use regular white granulated sugar.
- Egg - any type of large egg will work. It’s best if your egg is at room temperature so that it doesn’t shock the butter when you add it to the dough.
- Lemon - you will want to use a fresh lemon for this recipe since you’ll want to use both the fresh lemon juice and zest.
- Flour - we use all-purpose flour for these cookies.
- Baking Powder - this makes the cookies rise a bit and keeps them nice and tender.
- Powdered Sugar - it’s a good idea to sift your confectioners sugar before using.
- Powdered Lemonade Mix - you can use Kool-Aid or any similar brand.
How to Make Lemon Cooler Cookies
- Mix the cookie dough. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, or about 3 minutes. Slowly add the egg and lemon zest. Mix on low, scraping the bowl as needed to make sure it is all mixed. Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until completely combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the dough. Using spoons or a small ice cream scoop, scoop 1" balls, place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet about 3 inches apart and then flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake and cool. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheets for a couple minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Toss in sugar mixture. In a medium bowl whisk the powdered sugar and lemonade mix together, then dip each cookie into the powdered sugar mixture making sure to cover completely
- Serve or store. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or eat immediately. Enjoy!
With a couple of simple ingredient swaps or additions, you can make a variety of yummy cooler cookies!
- Meyer Lemon Cooler Cookies - if you come across Meyer Lemons, they make an excellent substitute! They have a slightly floral, strong lemon flavor.
- Lemon Cooler Cookies with White Chocolate - add mini white chocolate chips to the cookie dough.
- Lime Cooler Cookies would also taste great using lime zest and juice instead!
Storing and Freezing
Here are a few different ways to store Lemon Cooler Cookies:
- Room Temperature - these can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Refrigerator - you can also store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze the Dough - make and shape as directed, then freeze in a single layer on a baking tray for at least an hour before transferring to freezer bags to store for up to 2 months. When you wish to bake them, pull the cookies from the freezer and transfer to a parchment lined sheet tray, then bake in a preheated oven as directed, but adding about 1-2 minutes to the baking time.
- Freeze the Baked Cookies - make and bake the cookies as directed, then cool completely and do not cover with powdered sugar mix. Place in an airtight container, or freezer bags, and freeze for up to 1 month. Once you are ready to eat them, pull from the freezer and let them come to room temperature before coating in the powdered sugar mixture.
Lemon Cooler Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup Butter salted, room temperature
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 large Egg room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest zest of about 1 lemon
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
Lemon Powder for Cooler Cookies
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Powdered Lemonade Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, or about 3 minutes. Slowly add the egg and lemon zest. Mix on low, scraping the bowl as needed to make sure it is all mixed.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until completely combined. Do not overmix.
- Using spoons or a small ice cream scoop, scoop 1" balls, place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet about 3 inches apart and then flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemonade mix, then dip each cookie into the powdered sugar mixture making sure to cover completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or eat immediately. Enjoy!
More Lemon Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Meltaway Cookies
- Creamy Lemon Dessert Bars
- Lemon Cheesecake Fruit Dip
- Glazed Lemon Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
- Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake
- Lemon Bar Recipe
- More Best Dessert Recipes
- More Best Cookie Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These homemade Lemon Cooler Cookies are sweet, tart, buttery, tender and covered in a thick lemony powdered sugar dust that melts in your mouth. They are quick and easy to make and perfect for any lemon lover.
These taste wonderful. However, mine are not quite as pretty as your cookies! They spread quite a bit, so they are more flat. After the first pan, I chilled the dough for quite a while, but, though a tiny bit better, they still spread to be pretty thin cookies. Have any advice? (Again, did I mention that they are really tasty? The flatness of the cookie doesn't take away the awesome taste.)
When I heard lemon squares but in cookie form, I was sold! These are SO delicious. They literally just melt in your mouth and are bursting with lemon flavor!
Gorgeous cookies. They look delicate and so delicious. Perfect for summer afternoons. I'm going to make them, for sure. I just saved the recipe.