This cheesy potato and broccoli soup is packed with vegetables and flavor. It’s a delicious and easy dinner the whole family will love!
Sneak vegetables in wherever you can!
If you have picky eaters as I do, this is a great way for them to grow their appreciation for a little green in their dinner. The broccoli flavor is mild in this soup and with the addition of the shredded carrots, it seems like this soup is more cheesy than it really is. We haven’t even talked about the onions yet. If you leave a little chunk to your potatoes, the kiddos won’t even know they’re there!
I love using evaporated milk in this recipe. It has a little bit of a stronger milk flavor than normal milk and you still get the rich and creamy texture of the cream.
Substitutions and Helpful Tips:
- You can leave the peels on the potatoes or take them off. I like a little chewy peel in my soup so I usually take about 50% of the peel off.
- You can use red potatoes or russet potatoes. The golden potato varieties tend to be mushy in this recipe.
- You could also use a mixture of potato varieties
- You can use boxed broth or just the chicken stock in a jar and add water. Both work great. just use whatever you have on hand
- Bacon bits and green onions would be a great additional garnish
- You can also make this a vegetarian soup. Just substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and substitute the cheese and evaporated milk with your favorite sour cream substitute to reach the desired “creaminess” you want.
- You can serve this delicious soup in a bread bowl or just with your favorite dinner roll and butter. YUM!
This cheesy and delicious soup is packed with vegetables and flavor. It's an easy dinner the whole family will love!
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion (Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Large Carrots, Shredded
- 2 Large Broccoli, about 3 cups cut up into 1" chunks
- 7-8 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cans Evaporated Milk or Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- salt (around 2 tsp) Salt to taste
- pepper (around 1 tsp) Pepper to taste
In a large dutch oven or pot enough to fit about 1 gallon, add the butter.
Dice the onion into 1/3" pieces and add to the pot with the butter. Cook until the onion is lightly golden in color. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and broth.
Peel potatoes if desired. Cut potatoes into 1/2" pieces. Combine with chopped onion, minced garlic, shredded carrots, and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Use a potato masher and mash the potatoes till the larger chunks are gone. (I like to have some potato texture but you can make it as smooth as your family prefers)
Add the broccoli chunks and cheddar cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add the evaporated milk and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in a bread bowl if desired. Top with additional cheddar cheese if desired. Enjoy!
The Carefree Kitchen Socials:
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Come find me!
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/the_carefree_kitchen/
Save this for later!!