Easy Soup Recipe:
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is an easy meal and can be ready in just 30-40 minutes. The Potatoes and Broccoli are cooked in chicken broth and it adds so much flavor. This soup recipe is also creamy and delicious. You can use heavy cream, half and half, or evaporated milk to give it that creaminess we all love.
The Best Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
If you have picky eaters as I do, this is a great way for them to grow their appreciation for a little green in their dinner.
The broccoli flavor is mild in this soup and with the addition of the shredded carrots, it seems like this soup is more cheesy than it really is.
We haven’t even talked about the onions yet. If you leave a little chunk to your potatoes, the kiddos won’t even know they’re there!
I love using evaporated milk in this recipe. It has a little bit of a stronger milk flavor than normal milk and you still get the rich and creamy texture of the cream.
How to Make the Best Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- You can leave the peels on the potatoes or take them off. I like a little chewy peel in my soup so I usually take about 50% of the peel off.
- You can use red potatoes or russet potatoes. The golden potato varieties tend to be mushy in this recipe.
- You could also use a mixture of potato varieties
- You can use boxed broth or just the chicken stock in a jar and add water. Both work great. just use whatever you have on hand
- Bacon bits and green onions would be a great additional garnish
- You can also make this a vegetarian soup. Just substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and substitute the cheese and evaporated milk with your favorite sour cream substitute to reach the desired “creaminess” you want.
- You can serve this delicious soup in a bread bowl or just with your favorite dinner roll and butter. YUM!
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 medium Potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion (Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Large Carrots, Shredded
- 2 Large Broccoli, about 3 cups cut up into 1" chunks
- 7-8 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Cans Evaporated Milk or Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese
- salt (around 2 tsp) Salt to taste
- pepper (around 1 tsp) Pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven or pot enough to fit about 1 gallon, add the butter.
- Dice the onion into 1/3" pieces and add to the pot with the butter. Cook until the onion is lightly golden in color. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and broth.
- Peel potatoes if desired. Cut potatoes into 1/2" pieces. Combine with chopped onion, minced garlic, shredded carrots, and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Use a potato masher and mash the potatoes till the larger chunks are gone. (I like to have some potato texture but you can make it as smooth as your family prefers)
- Add the broccoli chunks and cheddar cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bread bowl if desired. Top with additional cheddar cheese if desired. Enjoy!
If you love soup recipes, here are a few more you’ll love.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Save this for later!!
This homemade Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup recipe is packed with vegetables and flavor. It’s an easy soup recipe and a delicious and easy dinner the whole family will love!