These Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes are creamy, cheesy and packed full of flavor. They are made with thinly sliced potatoes cooked low and slow until perfectly tender alongside ham, cheese, fresh thyme and simple seasoning.
- The Best Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- What to Serve with Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Ingredients in Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- How to Make Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Tips and Tricks
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
The Best Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
If you’re looking for a simple comfort food side dish that everyone will love, look no further than Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes. After just about 10 minutes of prep you can set your slow cooker and forget it while you cook something else, or just relax!
These easy cheesy slow cooker scalloped potatoes are also one of our favorite leftover ham recipes. They’re absolutely perfect for making after Easter or Christmas when you don’t want to eat anymore leftover ham sandwiches.
If you want to go vegetarian, just substitute veggie stock and skip the ham. Serve alongside your favorite proteins, or any of the recipes listed below for a meal the whole family will love."aligncenter wp-image-1375 size-full" src="https://thecarefreekitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/hamandcheesescallopedpotatoes3.jpg" alt="scalloped potatoes in a crock pot" width="600" height="900">
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
A yummy potato casserole side dish like this will really pair well with just about any type of protein. For holidays, we like to serve with something classic like Herb-Roasted Turkey, Herb Crusted Top Round Roast or Simple Oven-Baked Chicken Breast.
You also can’t go wrong by pairing with any of the following:
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
- Oven Baked Cornflake Chicken
- Pork Tenderloin
- Teriyaki Glazed Salmon
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Potatoes - you can use raw potatoes - no need to precook them! Yukon Gold potatoes are great in scalloped potato dishes because they hold their shape very well and don’t fall apart during the long baking process. You could also try this with Red Potatoes. Peeled or unpeeled - it's up to you.
- Chicken Broth - we use chicken broth but you can substitute veggie broth if you want to make this a vegetarian side dish (minus the ham, of course).
- Ham - anything from leftover ham to deli ham will work.
- Sour Cream - this will give your scalloped potatoes a little extra creaminess and a nice tart flavor. You can substitute heavy cream if you’d like.
- Parmesan Cheese - this adds some sharpness and a bit of salty flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese - you can use any kind of cheddar cheese that you’d like.
- Onion Powder and Garlic Powder - these add a nice sweet flavor and eliminates the hassle of chopping.
- Thyme - this is my favorite herb. It’s also really easy to grow! In a pinch, dried thyme will also work.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- Prep the potatoes. Wash your potatoes then peel if you prefer (or leave the skins on) and slice into ⅛" even slices. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray, then add the potatoes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Add the chicken broth, ham, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh thyme and salt. Mix to combine, then sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Cook. Put the lid on and set your slow cooker to low. Cook for 5-6 hours, depending on how hot your slow cooker bakes. The scalloped potatoes are done when the potatoes are soft and can easily be cut with a fork.
- Serve. Once finished cooking, either set to warm or turn off the slow cooker and serve. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- You can use any kind of ham in this recipe including leftover ham, deli ham or even ham that has been frozen. It’s a very forgiving recipe!
- Spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray will help keep the potatoes from sticking from the sides of the crockpot a little more.
- If you are short on time, you can cook this recipe on high for about 3 hours.
- Check on your potatoes occasionally. Slow cookers have different cooking times. Some slow cookers get much hotter than others.
- Use a mandolin if possible. This is one of those tools that will simplify your life so much, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it. They are very affordable, too, and can be used for all sorts of purposes. In this recipe, it’s very important to slice your potatoes as evenly as possible so that you don’t get some bites that are over-cooked and some that are still raw.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best potatoes to use for scalloped potatoes and ham?
We like both Yukon gold potatoes and red potatoes because they hold their shape very well and won’t become mushy after the long cooking time.
Can I make scalloped potatoes ahead of time?
These Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes can easily be made up to a day in advance and stored in the fridge. Once you go to bake them the next day, make sure to pull the baking dish out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to take the chill off, and to make sure that the glass casserole dish (if you’re using one) doesn’t crack.
Can I bake scalloped potatoes in the oven instead?
Sure! Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9”x13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half of your potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish so that they are overlapping slightly, then pour half of the sour cream cheese sauce over the top.
Arrange the remaining potatoes over that, then spread the rest of the white sauce on top of the layer of potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and the potatoes are soft when you poke them with a fork.
How can I reheat scalloped potatoes?
- Oven - preheat oven to 350 degrees and let your baking dish come to room temperature. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and reheat slowly, until warmed through (about 25-35 minutes).
- Microwave - for individual portions, transfer to a microwave-safe dish and reheat on high for about 1 minute.
Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2.5 lbs Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes sliced into ⅛th inch slices
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Ham diced
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 ¼ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese reserve ¼ cup to add to the top after mixing
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thyme fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wash your potatoes then peel if you prefer (or leave the skins on). Slice into ⅛" even slices and add to your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, ham, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh thyme and salt. Mix to combined, then sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Put the lid on and set your slow cooker to low. Cook for 5-6 hours, depending on how hot your slow cooker bakes. The scalloped potatoes are done when the potatoes are soft and can easily be cut with a fork.
- Once finished cooking, either turn the setting to warm or turn off the slow cooker and serve. Enjoy!
We love Potato Recipes! Here are a few recipes using potatoes:
- 33 of the Best Potato Recipes
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Herb Cheesy Potatoes
- Steakhouse Style Baked Potato
- Crispy Potato Bites
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These ham and cheese scalloped potatoes take only a few minutes to throw together in the slow cooker and are creamy, cheesy and packed with flavor. It's a slow cooker recipe the entire family will love.