This Creamy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is made with chunks of potato, lots of fresh broccoli, and shredded cheese. It's quick and easy and has everything you love in a hearty soup recipe.
Easy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup is a classic family favorite recipe that can be ready in 30 minutes, start to finish. You can also add more veggies if you'd like. Shredded carrots are so easy and if you love chunks of celery, this would be great too.
You can use heavy cream or evaporated milk to make it rich and creamy without all the extra fat, and bonus, you can add your favorite toppings like croutons, extra shredded cheese, bacon bits, or a dollop of sour cream.
What to Serve with Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup
Tips For Making The Best Broccoli Potato Soup
- If your soup needs to be a little thicker, add 4 tablespoons of water in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of Cornstarch. Bring your soup to just under a simmer. Mix the cornstarch mixture until smooth and then while stirring the soup, add to the soup and stir until thickened.
- To thin soup, simply add a ½ cup or one cup of broth to the soup. **Soup will be much thicker when cold. Wait until the soup is warm to determine if the soup needs to be thinned.
- Saute onion in a saucepan with butter. Cut the onions into similar sized pieces to ensure they cook evenly. Be sure your onions are lightly caramelized. The onions will give your broccoli cheese soup a sweet and rich flavor. When the onions are finished becoming golden, add the minced garlic. You don't want your garlic overcooked so just about 30 seconds is great.
- You can use cream or evaporated milk in this recipe to make it creamy.
Recipe Variations for Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here are a few recipe variations for this cozy broccoli soup.
- Bacon and Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup: Add crispy bacon bits and extra cheddar cheese to the soup for a rich and savory flavor.
- Spicy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce to the soup for a spicy kick.
- Broccoli Potato and Leek Soup: Sauté leeks along with the onions for a milder, slightly sweet onion flavor in the soup.
- Broccoli Potato Curry Soup: Add curry powder and coconut milk to give the soup an exotic and aromatic twist.
- Loaded Broccoli Potato Soup: Top your soup with sour cream, chives, extra cheese, and crumbled crackers for a loaded baked potato-inspired variation.
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup: cook everything besides the cream and broccoli on low heat for 4-5 hours, or high heat for 2-3 hours. Then, remove the soup and blend well before adding the broccoli. Cook again for about 1-2 more hours on low or 1 hour on high, add the cream, cook for 30 more minutes, and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
This can happen if the temperature gets too high. You end up with the proteins in the cheese curdling. If this happens, add a couple ice cubes to lower the heat while whisking constantly. The shock can help smooth is back out. You can also blend it with an immersion blender to help smooth is out again.
Pre-shredded cheese is coated with an anti-caking agent. It won't melt as smoothly. It's best to add it in a couple batches instead of adding it all at once. Heat the soup until it's just below a simmer, continue at this heat until all the cheese is melted.
It isn't recommended to freeze this soup. You may end up with a curdled milk and cheese soup when you try to re-heat this.
Storing And Reheating
- Refrigerator: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: put soup into a dutch oven or sauce pot and warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Creamy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 large Onion diced into ¼" pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 large Carrots shredded
- 1½ pounds Potatoes cut into ⅓" pieces
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Broccoli cut into ½" pieces
- 1 cup Cream or 14 oz Evaporated milk
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- In a large pot, add the butter. Add the diced onions and heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are lightly brown and caramelized. Add the minced garlic, shredded carrots, and diced potatoes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Boil the potatoes until they are done. You will know they are done when you can't pick them up by sticking them with a fork. They should be soft. (about 20-25 minutes)
- Add the broccoli and bring back up to a simmer for 2 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender if desired. Add the cream and the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Here are a few great potato recipes:
- 3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Hams and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- More Potato Recipes
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Easy Taco Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Turkey Enchilada Soup
- Turkey and Rice Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- More Soup Recipes
This Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup is made with chunks of potato, lots of fresh broccoli, and has so much flavor! This recipe is quick and easy and has everything you love in a delicious soup recipe.