This Creamy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup Recipe is made with chunks of potato, lots of fresh broccoli, and shredded cheese. This broccoli potato soup cheese soup is quick and easy and has everything you love in a hearty soup recipe.
It's a classic family favorite soup that can be ready in 30 minutes, start to finish. You can also add more veggies if you'd like. Shredded carrots are so easy and if you love chunks of celery, this would be great too.
You can use heavy cream or evaporated milk to make it rich and creamy without all the extra fat, and bonus, you can add your favorite toppings like croutons, extra shredded cheese, bacon bits, or a dollop of sour cream.
What to Serve with Broccoli Potato Soup
- Add carrots. They will show up as small orange shreds in your soup and your kids might even think they're cheese shreds.
- Cauliflower works great in this recipe too.
- Add a handful of spinach to switch things up.
- Use Red Potatoes, Yukon Gold, or any kind of potato you have on hand.
- If your soup needs to be a little thicker, add 4 tablespoons of water in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of Cornstarch. Bring your soup to just under a simmer. Mix the cornstarch mixture until smooth and then while stirring the soup, add to the soup and stir until thickened.
- To thin soup, simply add a ½ cup or one cup of broth to the soup. **Soup will be much thicker when cold. Wait until the soup is warm to determine if the soup needs to be thinned.
- Sautee onion in a saucepan with butter. Cut the onions into similar sized pieces to ensure they cook evenly. Be sure your onions are lightly caramelized. The onions will give your broccoli cheese soup a sweet and rich flavor. When the onions are finished becoming golden, add the minced garlic. You don't want your garlic overcooked so just about 30 seconds is great.
- You can use cream or evaporated milk in this recipe to make it creamy.
This can happen if the tempreture gets too high. You end up with the proteins i the cheese curdling. If this happens, add a couple ice cubes to lower the heat while whisking constantly. The shock can help smooth is back out. You can also blend it with an immersion blender to help smooth is out agian.
Pre-shredded cheese is coated with an anti-caking agent. It won't melt as smoothly. It's best to add it in a couple batches instead of adding it all at once. Heat the soup until it's just below a simmer, continue at this heat until all the cheese is melted.
It isn't recommended to freeze this soup. You may end up with a curdled milk and cheese soup when you try to re-heat this.
Creamy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large Onion, diced into ¼" pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 Large Carrots shredded
- 1 ½ pounds Potatoes cut into ⅓" pieces
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Cups Broccoli, fresh cut into ½"pieces
- 1 cup Cream or 14oz Evaporated milk
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- in a large pot, add 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add the diced onions. Heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are lightly brown, caramelized. Add the minced garlic, shredded carrots, and diced potatoes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Boil the potatoes until they are done. You will know they are done when you can't pick them up by sticking them with a fork. They should be soft. (about 20-25 minutes)
- Add the broccoli and bring back up to a simmer for 2 minutes. (blend with an immersion blender if desired) Add the cream and the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Salt and Pepper to taste. (approx 1 ½ tsp salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper) Enjoy!!
Here are a few great potato recipes:
- More Potato Recipes
- 3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Hams and Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- More Soup Recipes
- Easy Taco Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Turkey Enchilada Soup
- Turkey and Rice Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
Pin this recipe!!
This Creamy Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup is made with chunks of potato, lots of fresh broccoli, and has so much flavor! This potato soup recipe is quick and easy and has everything you love in a delicious soup recipe.