This Grilled California Chicken Recipe is a delicious grilled chicken breast recipe. It's a simple yet flavorful dish to add your recipe repertoire. It includes the best chicken marinade with a blend of fresh ingredients and is easy to prepare.
Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe
Whether you're hosting a summer barbecue or want to switch up your regular dinner routine, this grilled chicken recipe is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. What's the secret to making chicken tender and juicy, it's all in the prep work and marinade. Follow along and I'll show you how to get tender and juicy chicken breasts every single time. So fire up the grill and get ready to impress your crew with this amazing Grilled California Chicken Recipe.
Grilled California Chicken Video Tutorial
How to Make the Best Grilled Chicken
You can do a few things to make the most amazing grilled chicken.
1. Tenderize your chicken.
This may seem like a task that doesn't really need to be completed but let me tell you, if you don't tenderize your chicken, you're missing out. Tenderizing your chicken breast does a couple of things.
- It flattens the chicken breast out so it will cook more evenly.
- It breaks down the meat's fibers and makes the meat more tender. Isn't that what we all want, juicy and tender grilled chicken!?!
2. Marinate your chicken.
Most good chicken marinades call for a variation of these ingredients.
- Oil, or some kind of fat. (This helps keep the chicken moist and juicy)
- Lemon juice or some kind of acidic liquid. Many times, chicken breast marinade recipes will call for white vinegar. The high PH helps break down the chicken breast, leaving it tender and juicy.
- Seasonings- the sky is the limit on this one.
3. Grilled chicken breast to 165 degrees.
- Use a digital thermometer to ensure you're not overcooking your chicken breast. If it's cooked low an slow, you may not even get much of that golden brown color or char marks we love.
- If you like a little of that grilled color on your chicken breast. Cook it on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes on each side.
- You can even take the chicken breast off the heat when the internal temperature reaches 162 degrees. The chicken won't stop cooking when you take it off the grill; it will raise a few degrees before the temp begins to fall.
- You can take the chicken off the grill, put it in a dish and cover it with foil for about 5 minutes.
Ingredients in this California Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Breast: Use a high-quality chicken breast. The organic ones from Costco are my favorite, and the fresh chicken breasts are $3 per pound. (be sure to tenderize any chicken breast you decide to use.
- Chicken Marinade: The recipe for the chicken marinade includes avocado oil, lemon juice, and the good seasonings Italian Dressing.
- Avocados: Any ripe avocado will work great!
- Tomatoes: Any tomato variety will do. If you only have cherry tomatoes on hand, you can cut them in half an also chunk up the avocado into bite-sized pieces and then put the cheese on top to hold it all together.
- Pepperjack Cheese: We love pepper jack cheese on this grilled chicken. It adds just a little of the tartness we love and has just a little kick. If your family isn't in love with pepper jack, you can certainly use mozzarella cheese, swiss or provolone cheese for this California Chicken Recipe.
Ideas to serve with California Grilled Chicken
- Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- Harvest Salad
- Fruit Tray
- Veggie Tray
- Dinner Rolls
- Grilled Pineapple
- Mashed Red Potatoes
- Ranch Potatoes
- Homemade Rice Pilaf
Recipe Variations for Grilled California Chicken
Grilled California Chicken is a delicious and healthy meal that is perfect for outdoor barbecues and summer gatherings. But did you know that there are many different ways to prepare this tasty dish?
- Spicy California Chicken: Add some cayenne pepper or hot sauce to your marinade or rub for those who love a little heat. You can also serve your chicken with a side of candied jalapeño peppers or spicy salsa.
- Hawaiian California Chicken: Give your chicken a tropical twist by adding some pineapple or mango to your marinade or rub. You can also serve it with a side of coconut rice or grilled vegetables.
- Balsamic California Chicken: Coat your chicken in a balsamic vinegar and olive oil marinade for a tangy and flavorful dish. You can also serve it with a side of roasted vegetables or a balsamic glaze.
- Tex-Mex California Chicken: Spice up your chicken with some chili powder, cumin, and garlic for a Tex-Mex twist. You can also serve it with a side of black beans, salsa, and guacamole.
So there you have it, ten different ways to enjoy Grilled California Chicken. Experiment with different flavors and find your favorite variation!
Grilled California Chicken Recipe
The Best Chicken Marinade
- 3-4 large Chicken Breasts plan on 4-6 ounces of chicken per person
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 pkg Good Seasonings Italian Seasonings Packet I've had good luck finding this in the supermarket aisle with the salad dressings
Toppings for California Chicken
- 1 large Avocado ripe
- 2 large Tomatoes Enough for about 2 slices per chicken breast
- 8 slices Pepperjack Cheese a couple slices to cover each chicken breast
The Best Chicken Marinade Instructions
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, add the chicken breast. Use a rolling pin, mason jar, or the flat side of a meat tenderizer to pound the thickest part of the chicken breast. Pound until it about ¾" thick, similar to the rest of the chicken breast. (This should only take a few good whacks.)?
- Add the Avocado Oil and juice the lemon into the Ziplock bag. Add the Good Seasonings Italian packet and seal the ziplock bag. Roll the bag around gently to mix all the ingredients together.
- Let the chicken sit in the fridge and marinade for 2-24 hours. (If you can let the chicken marinate for up to 24 hours, that's ideal. The marinate will give the chicken so much flavor and it makes the most tender and juicy grilled chicken.)?
How to make the California Grilled Chicken Breast
- When the temperature of the chicken breast reaches about 162 degrees, Add 3-4 slices of avocado, 2-3 slices of tomato, and a couple of slices of pepper jack cheese. (You can also use sliced mozzarella cheese for this recipe if you don't like pepper jack.
- Close the grill for 2 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Take the chicken breast off the grill and into a serving dish. Cover with foil for 5 minutes while the chicken breast cools down a little. Serve, Enjoy!
If you're always on the hunt for a great chicken recipe, here are some of the best chicken recipes:
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Breasts Marinade
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Parmesan Ranch Chicken
- Simple Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- More Chicken Recipes
This grilled California Chicken Recipe is a delicious grilled chicken breast recipe. It includes the best chicken marinade and is an easy chicken and avocado recipe. It's the perfect grilled chicken recipe!