This is the Best Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe, made with Havarti, Gruyere, and shredded cheddar cheese, then topped with bacon. These easy twice baked potatoes are creamy, delicious and loaded with flavor.
- 3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes Video Tutorial
- The Absolute Best Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes Ingredients
- How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recipe Variations for Twice Baked Potatoes
- Storing and Make Ahead Instructions
- The Best Baked Potatoes Recipe
- More of the Best Potato Recipes
3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes Video Tutorial
The Absolute Best Twice Baked Potatoes Recipe
Possibly the best way to enjoy potatoes, this easy Twice Baked Potatoes recipe is stuffed full of 3 cheeses, bacon, and green onion. The insides are fluffy, cheesy, and so delicious while the outside skin is crisp.
If you love twice-baked potatoes, try our Twice Baked Potato Casserole, It's loaded with lots of the same flavors and feeds a crowd too. If you love potato recipes, try our Baked Potato recipe. It makes the most amazing crispy skin potatoes that are light and fluffy on the inside.
Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes Ingredients
- Russet Potatoes - you will need about 8 large Russet potatoes for this recipe.
- Cheese - the three cheeses that I chose to use for these potatoes are Havarti, Gruyere, and cheddar cheese. Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to see what combination you like best.
- Butter - you will need some butter for the potato filling mixture and some melted butter to brush on the insides of each skin.
- Seasoning - this recipe calls for using salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt. Again, you can experiment with seasoning and adjust to how you like it.
- Sour Cream - either full fat or lite sour cream will work great.
- Milk - whole milk is best but 2% will work.
- Bacon Bits - you can buy these premade or easily make your own Homemade Bacon Bits.
- Green Onions - this is for garnish. You can substitute chives.
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Once you have sliced the potatoes in half, they're cool enough to handle. Scoop out the inside of the potato. You will want to leave a small layer of potato on the skins so the potato skins keep their shape. Put the insides of the potato in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Melt some butter and then brush the potato inside with melted butter. You want to ensure there is seasoning on every bite of the potato. Some twice-baked potatoes are a little bland, this will ensure the skin is good enough to eat, and there are no bland bites in your easy twice-baked potatoes.
- Sprinkle the potato skins with garlic salt also. This is what helps these loaded twice-baked potatoes have so much flavor. Set the skins aside.
- In the mixing bowl with the flesh of the potatoes, mash the potatoes with a hand potato masher. If you're mixing/ mashing these potatoes with an electric mixer, mix slowly, and don't beat the potatoes. If you over-mix or over mash the potatoes, they will develop a gluey texture. So be sure to mix only as needed. I like a little chunk and texture in my twice-baked potatoes, If you're looking for really smooth baked potatoes, use a potato ricer for extra creamy twice baked, baked potatoes.
- Add the sour cream, cheese, (shredded works best) garlic salt, onion powder, salt and pepper to the potato mixture. Taste test to make sure there's enough flavoring. Add a little more garlic powder for extra tang or onion powder if it needs to be a little sweeter and more depth in flavor.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the potato skins. I threw away 2 potato skins but kept the flesh of the potato. I like to have thick twice baked potatoes. If that's something you like too, cook a couple of extra baked potatoes.
- Sprinkle the 3 cheese twice baked potatoes with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese, top with bacon bits, and cover with foil.
- Once you have assembled the best twice-baked potatoes recipe, cover them with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil off and brown the cheese on top for an additional 10 minutes. Serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Vigorously rub and wash your potato under warm water to remove any dirt. Prick with a fork several times to allow steam to escape while cooking. Place potato on a microwave safe dish and cook for 7 minutes on high. If your potato isn’t fork tender after 7 minus, cook in additional 1 minute increments until fully cooked. Let the potato cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Bake potatoes at 400º F for about an hour. Smaller potatoes make take a little less time and larger potatoes may take a little more. Cook potatoes until they are fork tender or about 210 º F.
Potatoes are ready when they are fork tender or their internal temperature reaches 210º F. If the potato is firm, bake a little longer. A baked potato will be dry under the skin if it’s overcooked.
Yes, freezing twice baked potatoes works perfectly fine. Make them according to instructions but don't cook them after they are assembled. Add the prepared twice-baked potatoes to a gallon-sized ziplock bag and freeze for up to a few months. Thaw before baking; bake in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for about 30 minutes or until warm, and the cheese is golden brown. Top with freshly sliced green onions if desired.
Recipe Variations for Twice Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli and Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes: Steam and chop broccoli into small florets and mix with shredded cheddar cheese in the potato filling. Garnish with extra cheese on top before baking.
- Buffalo Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes: Mix shredded cooked chicken with buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing into the potato filling. Top with additional blue cheese crumbles and green onions before baking for a spicy kick.
- Caramelized Onion and Gruyère Twice Baked Potatoes: Sauté thinly sliced onions until caramelized and mix with shredded Gruyère cheese in the potato filling. Top with more Gruyère before baking for a sophisticated flavor.
- Jalapeño Popper Twice Baked Potatoes: Mix diced pickled jalapeños, cream cheese, and shredded cheddar into the potato filling. Top with additional cheddar and sliced jalapeños for a spicy and creamy result.
Storing and Make Ahead Instructions
- Make Ahead-You make these ahead of time and refrigerate for 3 days before the final bake. Add sliced green onions after baking.
- Freezing- You make these ahead of time and freeze them until you want to use them. Assemble them but do not do the final bake. Add the shredded cheese and bacon bits. Add to a freezer ziplock bag and remove as much excess air as possible. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheating- Simply warm in the microwave for about 2 minutes to reheat or re-heat in the air fryer for 5 minutes or until warmed through and the cheese is bubbly.
The Best Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 8 medium Russet Potatoes
- 3 oz Havarti Cheese shredded
- 3 oz Gruyere Cheese shredded
- 6 Tabelspoons Butter 4 Tablespoons for Potato mixture and 2 Tablespoons to brush inside the potato skins
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 ½ cups Sour Cream
- ½ cup Milk
- 3 oz + ½ cup Shredded Cheddar reserve ½ cup to top before baking.
- ½ cup Bacon Bits
- ¼ cup Green Onions sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Wash potatoes then use a fork and poke holes, about a ½" deep, into the skins of the potato. Rub cooking oil on the outsides of the potatoes, then place in a 9" x 13" baking dish. Season with salt on all sides.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow the potatoes to cool for about 5-10 minutes until you can handle them.
- Once cooled down, scoop out the inside of the potato. Leave a small layer of potato on the skins so the potato skins keep their shape. Put the insides of the potato in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the inside of each potato skin with the melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt, then set aside.
- Mash the potatoes until mostly smooth, then add the sour cream, shredded cheeses, garlic salt, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Taste test and add more seasonings if needed.
- Spoon the potato mixture into the potato skins. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese, top with bacon bits, and cover with foil.
- Bake again for 30 minutes before removing the foil and baking for an additional 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with sliced green onions before serving warm. Enjoy!
More of the Best Potato Recipes
- Potato Skins
- Smashed Potatoes
- Steakhouse Style Baked Potatoes
- Potato and Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Potato Salad
- More Potato Recipes
- Best Potato Recipes
These homemade 3 cheese twice-baked potatoes with bacon are the ultimate twice baked potatoes...like amazing. They're made with Havarti, Gruyere, and shredded cheddar cheese. These easy twice baked potatoes are creamy, delicious and loaded with flavor. These are the best twice baked potatoes.