This Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken is juicy, flavorful and uses a simple honey mustard and garlic marinade. It's a simple way to turn plain grilled chicken into something you will crave.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
Satisfy your taste buds with this amazing Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe that's perfect for any occasion. It's delicious and healthy but also easy to prepare and packed with flavors that'll leave you craving more. Say goodbye to boring chicken meals and hello to tender and juicy chicken.
This honey mustard chicken marinade recipe uses a perfect blend of honey and mustard, creating a sweet yet tangy taste that pairs beautifully with the smoky flavor of grilled chicken. Don't worry if you're not a pro in the kitchen, we've got you covered with simple step-by-step instructions. So, let's fire up the grill and get ready to savor the unbeatable taste of this Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken.
If you're in the mood for some honey mustard dip, we have a great recipe for that too. Add this grilled chicken to a fresh salad, or alongside some smashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. It's so versatile and is perfect for just about any occasion.
Honey Mustard Marinated Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: The size of your chicken breast, big or small, doesn't really matter. If your chicken breast is really thick, you're going to want to even out the thickness. You can put the chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, or you can even use a mason jar to flatten the thickest parts of the chicken breast.
- Honey: Any honey will work great.
- Mustard: Dijon Mustard works great in this recipe.
- Oil: For chicken marinade recipes, I like to use avocado or olive oil. Avocado oil is a really mild tasting oil and has a high heat point which makes it perfect for a grilling recipes too. Olive oil works great too but don't use extra virgin olive oil for this recipe, the flavor is too strong.
- Salt and Pepper: Any will work but I like to use sea salt in my cooking recipes. The minerals are healthy!
- Minced Garlic: Fresh is always best. If you have fresh garlic on hand and don't mind mincing or pressing the garlic, this is best but no judging if you just use the minced garlic from a jar. Some days you've just gotta do what you've gotta do!
- Thyme: Again, fresh is best. I live in an area with all 4 seasons. I like to grow a pot with fresh herbs. The herbs are great 3 seasons of the year. They don't take much time or effort to grow fresh herbs just outside your door. Dried thyme works too but add 50% more because the flavors won't be as strong with the dry thyme.
- Lemon Juice: Again, fresh is best but we've all used the lemon juice in a bottle when you don't have a fresh lemon on hand.
How to Make Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Tenderize the chicken breasts. Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer to flatten and tenderize the thickest parts of the chicken breast. You want the breasts to be an even thickness.
- Make the marinade. In a plastic Ziplock bag, combine the lemon juice, avocado oil, dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Marinate the chicken. Add the chicken breasts to the honey mustard marinade and marinate in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- Grill the chicken. Preheat the grill to about 375 degrees, or medium high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the hot grill. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Use a digital thermometer to check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the thickest spot.
- Let the chicken rest. Remove the chicken from the grill and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken breasts vary in thickness so depending on the size and thickness of your chicken breast you'll need to adjust the time it's on the grill. A thinly sliced chicken breast will cook quicker than a thick chicken breast. I usually like to plan on 3-5 minutes per side on medium to medium-high heat.
If your chicken breast is thicker, you'll have to adjust your cooking time.
The USDA recommends heating chicken until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Just remember that the chicken will continue to cook a little after you take it off the grill.
Uncooked or raw chicken should be sealed or tightly wrapped until it's ready to be cooked. For an added safety measure, I like to put the bag or vacuum-sealed chicken in a baking dish or large bowl to prevent any drips from contaminating other food. Chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days before cooking and 2-3 days after it's cooked.
Recipe Variations For Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- Spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the honey mustard marinade for a kick of heat.
- Sweet: Drizzle some extra honey on top of the chicken before grilling for a sweeter flavor.
- Citrusy: Squeeze some fresh lime or orange juice onto the chicken after grilling for a bright and citrusy flavor.
- Smoky: Add some smoked paprika or liquid smoke to the honey mustard marinade for a smoky flavor.
- Cheesy: Top the grilled honey mustard chicken with some shredded cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella, and broil in the oven for a cheesy finish.
- Fruity: Serve the grilled honey mustard chicken with some fresh fruit, such as sliced peaches, strawberries, or pineapple, for a fruity twist.
- Saucy Honey Mustard Chicken: Use our Honey Mustard Sauce to slather on top of the grilled chicken. Top with some Monterey Jack Cheese and Homemade Bacon Bits for a Smothered Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe.
Storing And Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftover grilled chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: either microwave or reheat in a preheated 325 degree oven until warmed through.
Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 4-6 medium sized Chicken Breast about 6 oz of uncooked meat per person
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
Honey Mustard Marinade for Chicken
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer to flatten and tenderize the thickest parts of the chicken breast. You want the breasts to be an even thickness.
- In a plastic Ziplock bag, combine the lemon juice, avocado oil, dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then add the chicken breasts.
- Marinate the chicken in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
How to Grill Honey Mustard Chicken
- Preheat the grill to about 375 degrees, or medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and place on the hot grill. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Use a digital thermometer to check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in the thickest spot.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Breasts Marinade
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Parmesan Ranch Chicken
- Simple Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Flamin Hot Cheeto Chicken Tenders
- Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Cornflake Chicken
- 3 Citrus Chicken Marinade
- More Dinner Ideas
- More Chicken Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken recipe is an easy-to-make dinner recipe, perfect for any occasion. The combination of sweet honey, tangy mustard, and smoky grilled chicken creates a delicious and tender meal you will crave.