This Buckeye Dip is the ultimate sweet treat for parties, game day or a simple afternoon snack. Inspired by the Buckeye candy, this creamy, dreamy dip is packed full of peanut butter, cream cheese, marshmallow cream and mini chocolate chips.
Peanut Butter Buckeye Dip
If you are a peanut butter and chocolate fan, then Buckeye Dip will basically taste like heaven on earth. This ooey gooey chocolate, peanut butter, powdered sugar dip is mixed with marshmallow cream and mini chocolate chips for an out-of-this-world dipping delight.
It requires no ovens, no temperature checks and no special equipment, and it comes together in just about 10 minutes. Buckeye Dip also stores really well in the fridge, so be sure and make plenty because it’s sure to be a hit. Whether it’s football season, the holidays or just a regular old summer afternoon, serve this sweet dip with cookies, pretzels or even apple slices and it is sure to hit the spot.
What is a Buckeye?
Buckeye candies are a sweet treat that originated in Ohio, where the state tree is the Buckeye. Named after both the tree and the nickname for Ohio State University students, these candies are basically peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar and dipped in coating chocolate. When dipped, a small circle is left exposed on the top, resembling the nuts from the Buckeye tree.
Even if you have no ties to Ohio whatsoever, you can still enjoy these peanut butter and chocolate candies. They are great because they are incredibly simple to make and do not require you to bake anything, or cook sugar to a certain temperature. All you need to do is mix, form little peanut butter balls and dip into chocolate. Yum!
What to Serve with this Buckeye Dip Recipe
We like to serve this sweet dip with a variety of dippers, including:
- Graham crackers
- Teddy Grahams
- Wafer cookies
- Plain pretzels
- Chocolate covered pretzels
- Apple slices
How to Make Marshmallow Cream Substitute
Oftentimes, you’ll see Buckeye Dip with Cool Whip. The Cool Whip is there because it’s delicious, but also because it helps lighten things up.
We decided to take that idea, but use marshmallow cream instead. If you don’t happen to have it on hand, it’s simple to make your own!
- In a microwave-safe bowl add 8 oz mini marshmallows, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the marshmallows.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, then heat for an additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Stir and repeat if necessary, then use immediately.
Ingredients in Buckeye Dip
- Cream Cheese - this should be at room temperature so that it mixes well with the other ingredients. If you forget to pull it out ahead of time, you can also transfer it to a microwave-safe container and heat for about 10 seconds at a time just to take the chill off (but be careful not to melt it).
- Powdered Sugar - it’s always a good idea to sift your powdered sugar to get rid of any lumps.
- Peanut Butter - you can use creamy or chunky. It’s all about what you prefer.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Marshmallow Cream - you can purchase this at the store, or we have also given you simple directions on how to make your own in the microwave using marshmallows and water.
- Mini Chocolate Chips - we prefer the mini ones because they are a good size for dipping.
- Dippers - choose from a variety of your favorite treats to dip with, including cookies, pretzels and apple slices.
How to Make Buckeye Dip
- Mix. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl using a spatula, add the room temperature cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Using the paddle attachment, cream of medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the marshmallow cream and chocolate. Add the marshmallow cream and mix in until well incorporate, then add the mini chocolate chips and fold in by hand.
- Serve. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a few extra mini chocolate chips. Serve with your favorite cookies, graham crackers or pretzels. Enjoy!
How to Store
Buckeye Dip can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You may want to pull from the fridge and mix it up again just before serving. This can be done either in a large bowl with a spatula, or back in the kitchen aid on low speed with the paddle attachment.
Buckeye Dip Recipe
- 8 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter can also use chunky
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 7-oz Jar Marshmallow Cream or make your own*
- 1 ½ cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl using a spatula, add the room temperature cream cheese, powdered sugar, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Using the paddle attachment, cream on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the marshmallow cream and mix in until well incorporate, then add the mini chocolate chips and fold in by hand.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with a few extra mini chocolate chips. Serve with your favorite cookies, graham crackers or pretzels. Enjoy!
*How to Make Marshmallow Cream SubstituteIn a microwave-safe bowl add 8 oz mini marshmallows, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over the marshmallows. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, then heat for an additional 30 seconds if needed. Stir and repeat if necessary. Use immediately.
Here are some more peanut butter recipes that we love!
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Peanut Butter Balls
- Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter S'mores Cups
- Peanut Butter Cookies
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Buckeye Dip is the perfect quick and easy snack to make for game day, holidays or any other time of year. This ooey gooey peanut butter treat is mixed with marshmallow cream and mini chocolate chips for an out-of-this-world dipping delight.