This rich and smooth coconut syrup is perfect on crispy, golden, coconut french toast!! This is heaven for any coconut lover out there!
The Best Coconut French Toast
This is my go-to breakfast when we have family and friends stay the night. It’s everyone’s favorite and I always have requests for the recipe.
If you really want to blow their minds, serve this coconut french toast and coconut syrup with some bacon fried hash browns.
Then you have the sweet, chewy french toast and the savory bacon hash browns. Your guests will never want to leave!
How to Make the Best Coconut Syrup Recipe:
- When making the syrup, you want to boil the ingredients just until the color of the syrup turns to a golden color. As soon as it turns golden, remove from the heat.
- This is very similar to a lot of buttermilk syrup recipes out there, just kicked up a notch!
- You can get coconut extract in the baking aisle, close to the vanilla extract
- You can do half coconut flavoring and half vanilla flavoring too. The vanilla makes a very rich and deeply sweet syrup
- If you love the texture of coconut, you can add coconut shavings to the syrup too. It’s best if you chop it up into smaller pieces so it’s easy to pour
- Be sure to use a large pot to cook this in. The combination of the baking soda and the buttermilk will make the syrup bubble up twice its volume.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. The Coconut syrup can easily be warmed up in a pot on the stove.
How to Make the Best Coconut French Toast Recipe:
- There’s a little brown sugar in the recipe. It helps to get that golden color on the French Toast
- I used regular coconut flakes in my egg batter but you could use the smaller, unsweetened flakes too
- Coconut oil is a great way to try this french toast too. In fact, it makes the french toast a little more crispy (who doesn’t love that!?!)
- I like a little pinch of nutmeg in with my french toast but if your family doesn’t care for the taste of nutmeg, cinnamon will do great alone.
Here’s the recipe. Let me know if you have any questions!
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoon Coconut Extract
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot. (The syrup will bubble up at least twice it's size. The bubbles also pop when boiling and can burn you so error on the side of a large pot.)
- Boil for about 7 minutes stirring constantly
- When the syrup starts to turn from a whitish color to a golden color, it's done!
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- Any leftover syrup can be kept in a glass jar in the fridge and warmed up again easily in a pot on the stove.
Coconut French Toast
- 3 Eggs
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Coconut, shredded, sweetended
- 1/4 Teaspoon Coconut extract
- 6 slices Bread
- In a medium dish, a glass pie plate works great, beat together all the ingredients.
- In a griddle or frying pan, melt half of the butter over medium heat.
- Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture and carefully transfer to the hot griddle. Cook till golden brown on both sides and transfer to a warm plate while you cook the remaining french toast.
- Repeat step 3 until all of your french toast is cooked. Serve hot with coconut syrup, whipped cream, fresh berries, or chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Here’s a video guide of the recipe. Sometimes it helps to get a visual…
Calling all coconut lovers out there! This recipe is for you!! This Coconut french toast recipe with the best coconut syrup is what dreams are made of. It’s a 5-star breakfast that all your guest will love. The coconut syrup is delicious on ice cream, waffles, pancakes, and especially on this golden coconut french toast.