This recipe will give you instructions on how to make classic buttercream frosting. This is the best buttercream frosting recipe and is the perfect buttercream frosting recipe for cakes, cookies, or cinnamon rolls.
How to make buttercream frosting
What is buttercream frosting? How to make buttercream frosting. It's simple really, it's a whipped, light, and fluffy butter and sugar mixture. This is a simple buttercream icing recipe. It only takes a few ingredients but is so versatile. The key to a good buttercream frosting recipe is whipped butter. This gives your frosting a very light and smooth texture. I like to use my kitchen aide to whip the butter, but a handheld or Bosch mixer will do the trick.
Start with room-temperature butter. Just set your butter out an hour or so before you need to make the frosting. Add the butter to your mixing bowl and then beat with the electric mixer until it is light and fluffy. Add half of the powdered sugar, flavoring, and half of the milk. Whip until light and fluffy again. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and add the milk, just a half Tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency.
You will want to have thick and fluffy buttercream frosting. It should be thick enough to hold its shape but soft enough to spread. This homemade buttercream frosting is a winner everytime!
Uses for buttercream frosting
- Buttercream frosting for cake - This is the best buttercream frosting for cake. You can use this fluffy buttercream frosting on just about any kind of cake. You can add different flavor extracts to customize the flavor too. Just sub out the vanilla extract and use whatever flavoring you like. This is the best-ever buttercream frosting.
- Buttercream frosting for cupcakes - You can also use this easy buttercream frosting recipe for cupcakes. You can add a couple of drops of food coloring too.
- Buttercream frosting for cookies - This is the best vanilla buttercream frosting recipe. It goes perfectly on a great sugar cookie or cookie bar recipe. This is the best buttercream frosting recipe. Vanilla buttercream frosting is the most popular but a good lemon buttercream frosting is amazing too.
If you have leftover buttercream frosting, you can store it in your fridge for a couple of weeks. Just put your buttercream frosting in a covered container with a lid. When you're ready to use it again, remove the frosting from the fridge and let it get to room temperature again. Using a hand-held mixer, mix the frosting again until you have fluffy buttercream frosting again. This is a simple buttercream frosting recipe and stores great!
More Frosting Recipes
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Raspberry Frosting
- Blood Orange Buttercream Frosting
- Cinnamon Flavored Buttercream Frosting
- Orange Creamsicle Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Eggnog Buttercream Frosting
Tips for making buttercream frosting recipe
- Be sure your butter is at room temperature before you start. Don't thaw your butter in the microwave. It changes the consistency of the butter and you might end up with grainy frosting instead of smooth and whipped.
- It's easy to add any flavor of extract to your frosting, strawberry, almond, and lemon are a few of my favorites. This is such an easy buttercream frosting recipe and can easily be adapted in flavor and color to what you need. You can keep this a white buttercream frosting or make it any color you choose.
- You can make your frosting any color too. Just add a few drops until you get the color you're looking for.
- Add only half of the powdered sugar and milk at a time. Keep the butter aerated by continuing to whip it.
- Be sure to add the remaining milk last. This will ensure your buttercream frosting is as thick as you'd like it. It should keep it's shape when you pull the beater or a spoon out but be soft enough to spread easily.
How to make Classic Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons Milk
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- Start with room temperature butter. Just set your butter out an hour or so before you need to make the frosting. Add the butter to your mixing bowl and then beat with the electric mixer until it is light and fluffy.
- Add half of the powdered sugar, flavoring and half of the milk. whip until light and fluffy again. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and add the milk, just a half Tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency.
- If you have leftover buttercream frosting, you can store it in your fridge for a couple of weeks. Just put your buttercream frosting in a covered container with a lid. When you're ready to use it again, just take the frosting out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature again. Using a hand-held mixer, just mix the frosting again until you have fluffy buttercream frosting again.
Ways To Use Buttercream Frosting
- Dreamsicle Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies
- Soft Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Sugar Cookies
- Berry Sweet Rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Sugar Cookie Bars
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This recipe for how to make buttercream frosting will give you instructions on how to make the best icing, perfect for cakes, cupcakes, or spread on graham crackers. This is the best buttercream frosting recipe and is the perfect frosting recipe for all your favorite dessert recipes.
Leave a Reply