This moist and delicious Double Chocolate Banana Bread has a deep chocolate flavor and is loaded with chocolate chips. It's perfect sweet treat to serve for breakfast, brunch, as an afternoon snack, or even dessert.
Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
If you are a fan of banana chocolate desserts, you will love this Double Chocolate Banana Bread. It still has that strong banana flavor and moist texture, but loaded with cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
As far as chocolate banana cake goes (because let's get real), this one is actually on the healthier side. It's loaded with Greek yogurt and about as many bananas as it can hold. I love to serve it on the side for breakfast and brunch, as a little afternoon snack, or even as dessert with a little ice cream and strawberry sauce.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Video Tutorial
Double Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour - you will need all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder - Regular baking cocoa works great in this recipe. Use whatever brand you have on hand. If you need to find a new container of chocolate powder, I prefer the dutch chocolate baking powder.
- Sugar - this recipe calls for white granulated sugar.
- Baking Soda - baking soda helps the cake rise in the oven and keeps the texture nice and soft.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Bananas - you will need about 3 large very ripe bananas. It's best to use bananas that have dark spots on them. You can even use them up until they are completely black, as long as there isn't any sign of mold. These bananas are extra sweet and work great in banana bread too. Sometimes the ripe bananas get away from me but the ones I like to use best are still firm and have black spots on them.
- Butter - I like to use butter in my baking recipes as often as possible. Substituting butter for oil makes really flavorful recipes. Your butter needs to be melted but not hot.
- Eggs - it's best if your eggs are at room temperature. You can run them under hot water for a minute or so.
- Greek Yogurt - I like to use Greek yogurt in my baking whenever I get a chance. It gives the recipe some added protein which I'm always trying to get into my kid's diet and it also makes for dense and moist baking recipes. You can also substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt if you're in a pinch but the bread will be a little more dense.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract has the best flavor.
- Chocolate Chips - you will need some for the batter and some for the top. I like to use the large Guittard ones for the top of the loaf but any or a mix of chocolate chips work great
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add the very ripe bananas and mash using a fork. Add the melted butter, eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla. Mix until the eggs are incorporated into all the other ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Mix the batter. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently. Add about 6 ounces of the chocolate chips, mixing until all the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Add to loaf pans. Pour the chocolate banana bread batter into two loaf pans sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let the bread cool for a few minutes before slicing into it. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Did you know you can mash your bananas with your electric or stand mixer? That's right, peel the bananas, slice or break them, and add them to your bowl.
Beat them on low and increase the speed until the bananas break down into mashed bananas. You can then use this bowl to make the banana bread. This will save you some elbow grease and time when making banana bread.
This is my go-to recipe for using up those ripe bananas on the kitchen counter. When your bananas develop the dark spots on them, they're perfect to use in this recipe. You want to use the bananas before they progress all the way to fully dark but any banana with spots will work perfectly for banana bread.
Storing and Freezing
- Make-Ahead - you can make the batter a day in advance, divide the batter into the pans, and store it in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to bake, remove the pan from the fridge and let sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.
- Once Baked - your loaves should be covered and stored either at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Freezer - you can also wrap your loaves individually then place them in a freezer bag and store frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, transfer to the fridge or room temperature overnight.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1¾ cups All-Purpose
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¾ cups Sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1½ cups Ripe Bananas about 3 bananas - very ripe with black spots on them
- 6 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 2 large Eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 ounces Chocolate Chips about 6 oz for batter and 2 oz for tops
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 2 bread loaf pans generously with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the very ripe bananas and mash using a fork. Add the melted butter, eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla. Mix until the eggs are incorporated into all the other ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently. Add about 6 ounces of the chocolate chips, mixing until all the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the chocolate banana bread batter into the greased bread pans and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the bread cool for a few minutes before slicing into it. Enjoy!
More Quick Bread Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Easy Banana Muffin Recipe
- Triple Berry Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Mini Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Homemade Zucchini Bread
- Ham and Cheese Cornbread Muffins
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Best Quick Bread Recipes
- More Bread Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
PIn for Later!
This homemade banana bread, double chocolate banana bread is an easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe. It's ooey, gooey and soft and moist. It has a deep chocolate flavor and is loaded with chocolate chips. This is a delicious dark chocolate banana bread.