These Walking Tacos combine all of the ingredients of a hardshell taco into a fun, portable snack. Served straight from a small bag of Doritos, they are the perfect party food for football games, birthdays, BBQs, and more.
Walking Taco Recipe
Walking Tacos are basically portable tacos in a bag, making them convenient, easy to eat, and super fun. For this recipe, all you need to do is open the bag of chips and add your seasoned taco meat and favorite taco toppings. It’s the absolute perfect food to serve for game day, BBQs, or even your next family taco night.
If you are making Walking Tacos for a crowd, you can turn this into a Walking Taco Bar. Just lay out your bags of chips with the tops cut off, then arrange various taco toppings on a table with spoons for servings. This way guests can top their Walking Tacos however they want, and you can avoid building every single one yourself. Huzzah!
Walking Taco Ingredients
- Ground Beef - I like to use a lean ground beef with an 80/20 or 85/15 fat content. You could also try using ground turkey.
- Taco Seasoning - there are plenty of good taco seasonings that you can buy, or you can easily make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning.
- Water - you’ll need just a splash of water to cook the ground beef.
- Doritos - Walking Tacos are served from snack sized chip bags. You can use any flavor you want, or substitute Fritos or Tostitos corn chips.
- Shredded Cheese - besides shredded cheddar cheese, you could use Monterey jack, pepper jack, or a taco blend.
- Pico de Gallo - you can buy your favorite brand from the grocery store, or make your own Homemade Pico de Gallo.
- Shredded Lettuce - you’ll need a small handful of shredded lettuce for each serving. It adds a nice fresh crunch.
- Avocado - I like to use diced avocados as a topping for my Walking Tacos. To make them really pop, try seasoning lightly with salt and fresh lime juice. Some homemade Guac would be great too.
More Walking Tacos Toppings Ideas
Here are some more of the best Walking Taco topping ideas to get you started:
- Sliced black olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Pinto Beans (plain or Chipotle Black Beans)
- Diced onion
- Sliced jalapenos
- Sour cream
- Southwest Ranch
- Corn Salsa
- Homemade Fresh Salsa
- Homemade Bacon Bits
How to Make Walking Tacos
- Cook the ground beef. In a large skillet, add the ground beef, taco seasoning, and water. Cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until there is only a little pink left.
- Fill each bag of chips with toppings. Open each small bag of Doritos and add a small handful of shredded lettuce and about ¼ cup of taco meat to each bag. Finish with 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese, pico de gallo, diced avocado, and any of your other favorite taco toppings.
- Serve. Serve each Walking Taco out of the bag with a spoon. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course! Besides both Cool Ranch Doritos and Nacho Cheese Doritos, you can use a bag of Fritos, Tostitos, or any other corn chips in a snack sized bag.
You can store each ingredient separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The only true difference between a Walking Taco and a Frito Pie is how they are served. While Walking Tacos are served straight from individual bags of corn chips, a Frito Pie is served on a plate. Otherwise, the ingredients are almost identical.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftover taco meat and other toppings in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: you can freeze cooked, seasoned taco meat! Make sure it is completely cooled, then transfer to freezer bags and freeze flat. Store frozen for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: you can reheat taco meat in the microwave, or else transfer to a saucepan and add a touch of water. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Walking Tacos Recipe
- 1 lb Ground Beef 80/20 or 85/15 fat content
- 1½ Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- ¼ cup Water
- 8 small bags Doritos
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Pico de Gallo
- 8 cups Lettuce shredded
- 1 whole Avocado diced
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef, taco seasoning, and water. Cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until there is only a little pink left.
- Open each small bag of Doritos and add a small handful of shredded lettuce and about ¼ cup of taco meat to each bag. Finish with 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese, pico de gallo, diced avocado, and any of your other favorite taco toppings.
- Serve each Walking Taco out of the bag with a spoon. Enjoy!
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Crispy Ground Beef Tacos
- Cheesy Bean Dip
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito
- Crispy Bean Burritos
- Carne Asada
- Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Red Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Homemade Taco Pizza
- Green Chile Taquitoes
- 7 Layer Bean Dip
- Steak Fajitas
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- More Game Day Party Food
- More Beef Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Walking Taco recipe is the perfect game day snack. Choose your favorite taco toppings and add them along with taco meat to individual bags of Doritos for a portable hardshell taco.