These Mexican-inspired Green Chili Chicken Taquitos are super creamy on the inside, baked to crunchy perfection, and have just the right amount of spicy kick. Chicken Green Chili Taquitos are great for snacking, as an appetizer, or served as part of a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Our Green Chili Chicken Taquitos are inspired by the deep-fried beauties that you may have had at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Sometimes called flautas, rolled tacos or tacos dorados, taquitos are basically tortillas filled with cheeses, meats, and other yummy ingredients that are rolled and then fried until perfectly crispy. What more could you ask for?
This baked green chili chicken version is filled with cream cheese, green chili and chicken mixture that is lightly seasoned, rolled into a flour tortilla and baked instead of fried. It’s a little healthier, incredibly delicious and totally addicting.
Serve these for a game-day snack, a quick and easy dinner or as part of a Mexican buffet. You can adjust the level of spiciness to your liking by adding more or less green chilis. Also, feel free to top and garnish as you’d like!
Sometimes we serve plain with little bowls of salsa, sour cream, and ranch dressing on the side for dipping. Other times, we get a little fancier and drizzle with sauce, then top with chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime juice.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Taquitos
These Green Chicken Cream Cheese Taquitos taste great served with any of the following garnishes:
- Extra ranch dressing
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- A squeeze of lime juice
- Fresh cilantro
- Diced Tomatoes
If you are looking for another Mexican or Tex Mex side dish to pair with your Green Chili Chicken Taquitos, then never fear - we have you covered there, too! Some of our favorites include Cheesy Green Chile Rice Casserole, Easy Spanish Rice, Homemade Guacamole, and 7 Layer Bean Dip. If you love a great green chile and cream cheese recipe, be sure to try our Green Chicken Enchiladas too.
Ingredients in Green Chile Chicken Taquitos
- Cream Cheese - you want to make sure the cream cheese is softened, or at room temperature, so that it will mix well with the other filling ingredients.
- Ranch Dressing - any type will work.
- Shredded Chicken - the simplest solution is to shred a rotisserie chicken. However, you can also cook your own chicken breasts or thighs in the oven or slow cooker and shred.
- Cheddar Cheese - use pre-shredded or shred your own. Any type of cheddar will taste great, or substitute Monterey Jack.
- Green Chilis - you can find these canned in the Mexican aisle at your local grocery store. They add an amazing pop of spice and flavor.
- Flour Tortillas - if you want to make this recipe gluten-free, you can also try this with corn tortillas.
- Butter - melt the butter in the microwave or in a small pot over medium heat.
How to Make Green Chili Chicken Taquitos
- Make chicken mixture. In a large bowl, combine the room temperature cream cheese, ranch dressing, shredded chicken, cheddar cheese and green chilis. Mix with a spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Assemble taquitos. For each taquito, lay a tortilla flat on the counter and spoon about ⅓ cup of chicken mixture in the center, spreading it into a line across the tortilla from one side to the other. Roll up the taquito tightly around the chicken mixture and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet seam side down. Continue assembling all the taquitos, then brush with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the taquitos and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, salsa, ranch dressing, fresh cilantro and diced tomatoes. Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- If you are having a difficult time rolling the tortillas without them breaking, you can soften them a bit in the microwave first. Just cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for about 20-30 seconds on high.
- Taquitos are great for stuffing with leftovers, so don’t shy away from using your leftover cooked chicken to make the filling.
- If you want to make these gluten-free, you can easily substitute corn tortillas.
- Feel free to season these even further if you would like. They would taste great with extras like salsa verde, black beans, adobo seasoning or fresh cilantro mixed into the filling.
- These reheat great, so don’t hesitate to make a full batch (or even double).
Storing and Reheating
Make Ahead: to make ahead, you can mix the chicken filling together up to 24 hours in advance. Just store in an airtight container in the fridge, then remove from the fridge about 30 minutes prior to rolling the next day.
Storing: if you have leftover Cream Cheese Taquitos, you can transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag and store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Reheat: the quickest way to reheat taquitos is in the microwave. Just microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until warmed through. If you want the outside to crisp up a bit, you can also reheat in a 350 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
More Homemade Chicken Taquitos Recipes
More Green Chile Chicken Recipes
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Green Chile Hassleback Chicken
- Red Enchiladas
- White Chicken Chili
If you're looking for some more football food or crowd-pleasing recipes, be sure to check out this fun list of favorite appetizers and if you're looking for more appetizers, here's a list of more we came up with.
Recipe: Green Chili Chicken Taquitos
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- ½ cup Ranch Dressing
- 3 cups Shredded Chicken rotisserie chicken works great
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 4-ounce can Green Chilis
- 24 small Flour Tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the room temperature cream cheese, ranch dressing, shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, and green chilies. Mix with a spoon or spatula until well combined.
- For each taquito, lay a tortilla flat on the counter and spoon about ⅓ cup of chicken filling, spreading it into a line across the tortilla from one side to the other. Roll up the taquito tightly around the chicken mixture and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet seam side down.
- Continue assembling all the taquitos, then brush with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the taquitos and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, salsa, ranch dressing, fresh cilantro and diced tomatoes. Enjoy!
Here are more of our favorite rotisserie chicken recipes!
- White Chicken Chili
- Spicy Chicken Dip
- Olive Garden Gnocchi Soup
- Chicken Stuffed Shells
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Bites
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Garlic Butter Drumsticks
- Chicken Enchiladas
- More Chicken Recipes
- More Quick Dinner Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Mexican-inspired Green Chili Chicken Taquitos quick, easy and great as an appetizer or light meal. They are super creamy on the inside, baked until crispy and have just the right amount of spicy kick.