This classic Pico de Gallo Recipe is the perfect fresh salsa to serve with your favorite Mexican food. It’s made with just 5 ingredients and comes together in just 10 minutes.
Easy Pico de Gallo Recipe
Fresh and zesty, this easy homemade Pico de Gallo tastes like it came from your favorite Mexican restaurant and can be ready in less time than it takes to get the family out the door. It’s such a great condiment to serve with everything from carne asada tacos, walking tacos, to breakfast casseroles.
In the summer, it’s the perfect way to use up extra tomatoes from the garden. During colder months, we still love this recipe. Just use the ripest tomatoes you can find and enjoy this fresh salsa all year long.
Pico de Gallo, often called salsa fresca, is a fresh, chunky salsa, popular in Mexican cuisine.
The main difference between Pico de Gallo and salsa is the consistency. Salsa is often more liquidy while Pico de Gallo is chunkier and is always made with fresh ingredients.
What to Serve Pico de Gallo With
So many dishes will benefit from a spoonful of salsa fresca. Besides eating with a bowl of tortilla chips, here are some of our favorite dishes to serve it with:
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chipotle Chicken Burritos
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Pork Carnitas Nachos
- Red Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Denver Omelet Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients in Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Tomatoes - you can use any kind of fresh tomatoes - roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, etc. We suggest using whichever are ripest and tastiest.
- Onion - a large white onion, yellow onion or red onion will all work great. It’s best if they are finely chopped so that no one gets a huge chunk of onion when they take a bite.
- Cilantro - fresh cilantro is a key ingredient in this salsa so we don’t recommend skipping it. However, if you are super adverse to cilantro, the best substitute would be fresh parsley.
- Lime Juice - fresh lime juice always tastes best.
- Salt - kosher or sea salt will work great.
How to Make Best Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Combine ingredients. In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix well, adding additional lime juice or salt to taste as needed.
- Refrigerate or serve. Store in the refrigerator overnight, or serve immediately on tacos, quesadillas, with chips and more. Enjoy!
Simple Recipe Variations
It’s great to use this recipe as a base for making all sorts of simple variations. Here are some of my favorite ingredients that you can add to change things up:
- Diced avocado
- Sliced or minced jalapeno
- Goat cheese or Cotija cheese
- Diced bell peppers
- Sliced cucumber
- Diced mango or peach
Storing Pico de Gallo
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Pico De Gallo Recipe
- 2 cups Tomatoes diced
- ½ medium Onion diced
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- ½ Lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix well, adding additional lime juice or salt to taste as needed.
- Store in the refrigerator, or serve immediately on tacos, quesadillas, or with chips. Enjoy!
More of the Best Salsa Recipes
- Cranberry Salsa
- Easy Homemade Fresh Salsa
- Best Guacamole
- More Mexican Recipes
- More Sauces and Condiments
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This easy homemade Pico de Gallo is fresh, zesty and comes together in just 10 minutes. Serve with all of your favorite Mexican dishes, or anywhere you want a fresh salsa topping.
Leave a Reply