These Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings are baked in the oven until golden, then smothered in sweet and spicy buffalo sauce for a quick and easy appetizer. This healthier alternative to fried wings is just as crispy and delicious and sure to become a family favorite.
- The Best Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Ingredients in Baked Buffalo Wings
- How To Bake Chicken Wings With Buffalo Sauce
- Tips For Cooking Chicken Wings in the Oven
- Amazing Buffalo Dipping Sauce for Chicken Wings
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storing and Reheating
- Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
The Best Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Once you try baking chicken wings in the oven, you’ll be shocked at just how simple it is to make chicken wings in oven. You'll get crispy restaurant-quality wings right in your own home. Deep-fried wings taste great, but add extra mess and extra calories. This oven chicken wings are so much easier, just as delicious and naturally gluten-free.
If you have anyone in your family who isn’t a huge spicy foods fan, you can set some of these crispy wings aside without the sauce, or else serve them all sauce-less and have everyone add their own.
You can also make two flavors of the sauce, divide the wings in half and then serve them both! If you decide to go that route, we recommend making these Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings with Garlic Parmesan Wings. Yum!
What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Besides our Buffalo Wings Sauce, we love to serve crispy oven Buffalo chicken drumsticks with a side of Blue Cheese and Homemade Ranch, or Southwest Ranch Dressing. It’s the perfect game day or lazy Saturday afternoon snack.
Ingredients in Baked Buffalo Wings
- Bone-in Chicken Wings - there are about 4-5 chicken wings in a pound so depending on what else you are serving, you may want to double this recipe.
- Avocado Oil - you can substitute another cooking oil, such as canola or olive oil, or even melted butter.
- Salt and Pepper
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce - you can find this just about anywhere in the condiment aisle.
- Brown Sugar - you could also substitute a bit of honey.
How To Bake Chicken Wings With Buffalo Sauce
- Prep wings. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on top. Pat your wings dry with paper towels. Then, in a large bowl, add the wings and drizzle with avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss until they are completely coated.
- Bake. Place the wings in a single layer on the wire rack that is on the baking sheet, making sure that the wings aren't touching. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and a digital thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the chicken close to the bone.
- Make buffalo sauce. While you bake the wings in the oven, add the Franks Red Hot Sauce and brown sugar into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Toss wings in sauce. Once baked, add the hot wings straight from the oven to a large bowl and drizzle with the buffalo sauce. Toss until completely coated.
- Serve. Serve baked buffalo wings warm with your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing. Enjoy!
Tips For Cooking Chicken Wings in the Oven
- Make sure to pat the wings dry before you start. (A paper towel works great for this) It helps them live up to their full crispy potential.
- If you want your wings extra crispy, make sure to dry them super well with a paper towel, then toss the wings in a mixture of 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper. Skip the avocado oil and bake as directed. Tossing them in buffalo sauce once they have finished baking and serving immediately.
- You can also bake the chicken wings in a 400° oven for about 40 minutes and then lower the tempreture of the oven to 170 degrees. This will keep the wings warm while giving them an extra crispy skin.
- If the Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings aren’t getting crispy enough in the oven, you can toss them in the broiler for 1-2 minutes to finish them off.
- For the freshest, most delicious wings, make only as many as you will want to eat in one sitting. They just don’t reheat very well.
- Using a baking rack yelps the fat drip down underneath so it isn’t cooking in it and getting soggy.
- Baking buffalo wings is better than frying. Chicken wings have a higher ratio of chicken skin to meat than most cuts of chicken. That's what makes them so flavorful. When you bake chicken wings instead of frying, you roast the skin, it caramelizes the skin while rendering the fat and makes gives the wings a deeper flavor. This is why chicken wings are so flavorful!
Amazing Buffalo Dipping Sauce for Chicken Wings
If you love the "Amazing Sauce" they serve at Wingers, we've got you! We came up with our own amazing sauce recipe that tastes just like the original. All you need to do is add an equal ratio of your favorite ranch dressing and this buffalo sauce. Mix together and just like that, you've got yourself some Amazing Dressing to dip your amazing buffalo wings into!
Frequently Asked Questions
It should take about 35-40 minutes for your Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings to bake completely and get nice and crispy. How long to bake wings at 400 also depends on how many you are baking at once, so always check the internal temperature to be sure it has reached 165 degrees F.
We find that 400 degrees is the sweet spot for baking chicken wings. At 400 degrees, the oven temperature is hot enough to get the skin crispy, but not so hot that it will burn the outside because they cook through.
There are approximately 4-5 chicken wings in a pound. It will depend on how big the wings are but that's a general guideline.
Boneless chicken nuggets are not chicken wings. They are usually made from breast meat instead of being a deboned wing. They are cut into wing sized pieces and then breaded and usually fried. Boneless wings are chicken nuggets, not actual chicken wings.
These chicken wings are best if cooked just before consuming but the Buffalo Wing sauce can be made up to 5 days ahead of time. Just cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge and pull out as needed.
If you want your chicken wings crispy, bake them in a 400° F oven for about 40 minutes. You can reduce the temp of the oven to 170 and keep them in the oven for 20-30 more minutes to make the skin extra crispy.
Storing and Reheating
- Refrigerator: allow the wings to cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in a preheated 350 degrees oven for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 lbs Bone-In Chicken Wings
- ⅛ cup Avocado Oil can substitute any other cooking oil
- Black Pepper
- ½ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack on top.
- Pat your wings dry with paper towels. Then, in a large bowl, add the wings and drizzle with avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss until they are completely coated.
- Place the wings on the wire rack that is on the baking sheet, making sure that the wings aren't touching.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and a digital thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the chicken close to the bone.
- While you bake the wings, add the Franks Red Sauce and brown sugar into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Once baked, add the hot wings straight from the oven to a large bowl and drizzle with the buffalo sauce. Toss until completely coated.
- Serve baked buffalo wings warm with your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing. Enjoy!
More Drumstick and Wing Recipes That We Love:
- Garlic Parmesan Drumsticks
- Buffalo Drumsticks
- Parmesan Wings
- Oven-Baked Drumsticks
- Mediterranean Drumsticks
- Garlic and Herb Drumsticks
More Chicken Recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken
- Honey Soy Chicken
- Best Game Day Food
- Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Easy Appetizer Recipes
- More Chicken Recipes
These Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings are a healthy alternative to fried wings and just as crispy and delicious. They are baked chicken wings with buffalo sauce and are so easy to make. They are perfect football food or any game day snack!