This grilled Garlic Chicken Drumsticks recipe is an easy and healthy dinner option. It uses a garlic herb chicken marinade to make the most juicy grilled chicken that's a perfect addition to your dinner rotation.
Grilled Garlic Chicken Drumsticks
This healthy Garlic Chicken Drumstick recipe is the perfect main course for just about any night of the week. I personally like to grill drumsticks because I love the flavor of the grill and also how incredibly easy it is to clean up. However, during the colder months you can easily oven bake drumsticks instead.
I use an easy garlic herb chicken marinade that can be quickly tossed together in the morning. Let the drumsticks marinate in the fridge for a few hours, then pop them out once you are ready to cook. Because there is little added fat or sodium, you can also feel good feeding this healthy drumstick recipe to your friends and family.
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks Marinade Ingredients
- Chicken - drumsticks are great because they are super inexpensive and kids usually love to eat them. You can feel free to substitute chicken thighs or chicken breasts, just keep an eye on the cooking time as it will likely be different.
- Olive Oil - you can use either olive oil or avocado oil for this drumstick marinade.
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic has the best flavor, however jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Red Wine Vinegar - this adds flavor but also helps tenderize the chicken.
- Dried Herbs - I like to use a combination of dried basil, oregano, and sage but any Italian herb mix will work. You could also use fresh herbs if you have a surplus.
- Onion Powder - this adds a sweet onion flavor to the marinade.
- Fresh Lemon - you will need both the juice and zest from a fresh lemon for this recipe. It really brightens up the chicken.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
Garlic Herb Chicken Drumstick Variations
Here are some easy variations for Garlic Chicken Drumsticks that will make your taste buds sing!
- Spicy Garlic Drumsticks: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to your garlic marinade for an extra kick of heat.
- Honey Garlic Drumsticks: Mix honey into the marinade for a deliciously sweet and savory flavor explosion.
- Korean Garlic Drumsticks: Mix Korean chili paste and soy sauce into your marinade for a spicy and savory twist.
- Garlic BBQ Drumsticks: Brush your garlic marinated drumsticks with your favorite BBQ sauce for a smoky and savory flavor.
- Garlic Teriyaki Drumsticks: Mix soy sauce and brown sugar into your marinade for a sweet and savory teriyaki flavor.
How to Grill Chicken Drumsticks
- Make the garlic herb drumstick marinade. In a large bowl or a freezer bag, combine the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, dried herbs, onion powder, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Mix well, then add the drumsticks.
- Marinate the drumsticks. Allow chicken to sit in the drumstick marinade for 2-24 hours in the fridge. Once the chicken has finished marinating, from from the bag or bowl and let the excess drip off.
- Grill the drumsticks. Preheat the grill to medium high, or about 375-400 degrees F. Cook drumsticks on the hot grill for about 5-7 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest. Remove drumsticks from the grill and let them rest on a baking sheet or platter for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
How to Oven Bake Chicken Drumsticks
If you don't want to fire up the grill, you can also bake your drumsticks. Just preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place marinated drumsticks on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for about 35-40 minutes, turning them halfway through. Once the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, remove chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Especially when grilled or oven-baked, chicken drumsticks are an incredibly healthy meal that is also super simple to make.
The USDA says that as long as all parts of the chicken have reached a minimum internal temperature of 165°, it is safe to eat. The USDA further explains that even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices.
If you choose to bake your drumsticks instead, they should take between 35-40 minutes at 400 degrees F to cook completely. Always use a digital thermometer to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. If your drumsticks happen to be on the bigger side, you may need to add another 5-10 minutes to your cooking time.
Preheat the grill to medium heat, about 400 degrees. Place the chicken on the grill and flip every 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature of the drumstick are 165 degrees. This will take about 30-35 minutes. Let the drumsticks rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Storing And Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: to reheat, you can either microwave your drumsticks or place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
Garlic and Herb Chicken Drumstick
- 8-12 medium Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil avocado oil works great too
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a large bowl or a freezer bag, combine the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, dried herbs, onion powder, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Mix well, then add the drumsticks.
- Allow chicken to sit in the drumstick marinade for 2-24 hours in the fridge. Once the chicken has finished marinating, from from the bag or bowl and let the excess drip off.
- Preheat the grill to medium high, or about 375-400 degrees F. Cook drumsticks on the hot grill for about 5-7 minutes, then flip. Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove drumsticks from the grill and let them rest on a baking sheet or platter for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More Great Chicken Recipes
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Breasts Marinade
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Parmesan Ranch Chicken
- Simple Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- Grilled Chicken Teriyaki
- Flamin Hot Cheeto Chicken Tenders
- Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Cornflake Chicken
- 3 Citrus Chicken Marinade
- Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- More Chicken Recipes
- More Summer Favorites
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Garlic Chicken Drumsticks are easy, healthy, and so delicious. Whether grilled or oven baked your family will love this recipe for juicy, tender, flavorful chicken.