These Ham and Cheese Cornmeal Muffins have little bits of ham, sharp cheddar, and thinly sliced green onions. These cornmeal muffins are the perfect side to a bowl of soup or warmed up for breakfast with a little slab of butter!
Where do I buy cornmeal?
You can buy cornmeal in the baking section of your grocery store, however, my favorite way to get cornmeal is to grind it at home. Did you know you can grind popcorn seeds in a wheat grinder? It works so good!
I’ve been doing it for years and it makes moist and tender cornbread every time. ***Be sure to check your wheat grinder specs before grinding popcorn!
Leftover Ham Recipes
I love making these cornmeal muffins with leftover holiday ham. I’m always looking for a great way to use it up. This cornbread muffin recipe will also go great with Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup. I love combining this sweet and salty muffin with a creamy Broccoli soup. It’s the perfect duo!
Another great duo would be Monterey Chicken!! I’d love to know what you made with these cornbread muffins!
Tips for making the Best Ham and Cheese Corn Bread Muffins:
- Grind your popcorn in your wheat grinder if your grinder can handle it.
- Keep the leftover cornmeal in the freezer in a plastic bag to keep it fresh.
- You can use pre-shredded cheese. A cheddar blend is what I used here but pepper jack or sharp cheddar would work great too.
- You can also make this into cornbread. Just spoon the batter into a greased 8 by 8 baking dish. (You’ll need to cook it for 30-35 min)
Ham and Cheese Cornbread Muffins
- 1 1/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Ham, chopped into little bits
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Melted
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop your ham, shred the cheese and slice the green onions. Set those aside.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir until mixed.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk and butter, mix again.
- Combine the flour mixture with the milk mixture and mix until lumpy. Add the cheese, ham and green onions. Mix just until combined. Do not over-mix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins. (cupcake liners work great too) These don't rise much during baking so fill the muffin tins 3/4 full. You can also make this into cornbread. Just spoon the batter into an 8 by 8 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the edges become golden brown. Enjoy!
These are the best Ham and Cheese Cornmeal Muffins with little bits of ham, sharp cheddar, and thinly sliced green onions. These cornmeal muffins are the perfect side to a bowl of soup or warmed up for breakfast with a little slab of butter!