These triple berry muffins are the best-mixed berry muffins made from scratch. This is a moist berry muffin recipe made with greek yogurt and a sugar-crusted top. You can easily substitute the triple berries for blueberries and make the most amazing blueberry muffins for brunch or an afternoon snack.
Triple Berry Muffins Video Tutorial
Fresh or Frozen Berries
You can fresh or frozen berries for this berry muffin recipe. If you're using fresh, great, no adjustments needed.
If you're using frozen, the only thing you need to do is make sure the berries aren't frozen when you fold them into the muffin batter. If I'm using frozen berries for this recipe (I used frozen in these pics!) put the berries in a bowl and let them thaw. Before you fold them into the batter, drain the excess juice from the bowl and then fold in gently.
These mixed berry muffins are made with 1 ½ cups of berries If you're using frozen berries you can add a little more and then you'll have 1 ½ cups after the berries are thawed.
How to Make Sugar Crusted Muffins
This is the sugar (pictured above) I like to sprinkle on top of any blueberry muffins or these triple berry muffins. It takes just a minute but adds this sweet crunchy topping to these muffins. This sugar-crusted topping is made with raw sugar. It's a course sugar granule and kind of melts as the muffins cook.
Just add a teaspoon of raw sugar to your muffins before cooking them. The sugar will melt on top as the muffins bake and make the most amazing sugar-crusted muffin tops.
Other Breakfast Recipes
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Strawberry cream scones.
- Sweet potato breakfast casserole
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Homemade Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
Triple Berry Muffin Recipe
The triple berries that work best for this recipe are blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Don't use a berries mix with strawberries. They have much higher water content and you muffins will turn out a little soggy. Stick to the smaller berries and you'll have a much better end result.
Mixed Berry Muffin Recipe Variations
- This is easily customizable to blueberry muffins. Simply substitute the mixed berries for fresh or frozen blueberries.
- If you're using frozen blueberries, simply let them thaw, drain the liquid off them and fold them into your batter.
- I've used flavored Greek yogurt before and it's turned out great. Plain Greek Yogurt is best but just about anything will do.
- I've also used gogurts and sour cream or a mixture of all, for the substitution.
- These would also be great with a lemon glaze on in place of the raw sugar. So many possibilities!
Triple Berry Muffins
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Cup Greek Yogurt (plain)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ Cup Butter (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Lemon zest
- 1 ½ Cup Triple Berrys-fresh or frozen (mixture of blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry) you can use fresh or frozen mixed berries
- Sugar in the raw
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine the greek yogurt, and eggs. Combine and then add the melted butter and mix again.
- In a large bowl combine the flour mixture with the greek yogurt mixture and fold just until mixed. (The batter will be pretty stiff.) Fold in the lemon juice, lemon zest and berries.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and fold in the fruit.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, almost to the top of the pan.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar, about a teaspoon on each muffin. (optional) It makes a delicious sugar crusted topping!
- Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Other Muffins and Cupcakes
- Applesauce Muffins
- Zucchini Cupcakes
- Blueberry Muffins
- Chocolate Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Banana Muffin
Other Quick Breads
- Lemon Poppyseed Bread
- Blueberry Bread
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- More Quick Bread Recipes
- More Breakfast Recipes
These triple berry muffins are the best homemade berry muffins made from scratch. This is a moist berry muffin recipe made with greek yogurt and a sugar-crusted top. You can easily substitute the triple berries for blueberries and make the most amazing blueberry muffins for brunch or an afternoon snack.