This Einkorn Pumpkin Muffin recipe is so easy and a fall favorite! It's made with all-purpose einkorn flour and has an optional sugar crumb topping.
Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins
These Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins are made with all-purpose einkorn flour, making them more easily digestible for those with a gluten intolerance. They're soft, fluffy, full of pumpkin flavor, and topped with a tasty sugar crumb.
In this post, I have included a few tricks for working with all-purpose einkorn flour that I've discovered that might help you in your baking adventures too! Follow along for more step-by-step instructions. And if you find yourself becoming a fan of einkorn wheat flour, we've got plenty more Einkorn recipes for you to try.
Pumpkin Einkorn Muffins Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree - the easiest route to go is to buy unsweetened canned pumpkin puree. Make sure you don’t accidentally buy pumpkin pie filling because it has additional spices and sweeteners in it. You can also make your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree from scratch using small pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins.
- Sugar - this recipe uses white granulated sugar. You could substitute about half with brown sugar if you want.
- Butter - unsalted butter works great. You’ll want to melt it but make sure it’s not hot. You could also substitute coconut oil if you want to make this dairy-free.
- Eggs - any kind of large eggs will work great. It’s helpful if they are at room temperature when you go to mix them. If you forget to pull them out ahead of time, you can also run the eggs under warm water for a minute or so.
- Einkorn Flour - all-purpose einkorn flour is a great substitute for those with gluten intolerances. It's gentler on stomachs. The main difference when cooking with Einkorn flour is that you will need to let the batter rest for at least 20 minutes to give it time to absorb the moisture.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - these ingredients help the muffins rise in the oven as well as keep the crumb nice and soft.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Spices - this recipe calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. You could also substitute an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add the melted butter, pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients. In another mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose einkorn flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Fold the batter together. Gently fold the pumpkin puree mixture in with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined then cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow the batter to rest. Let the batter sit for at least 20 minutes to give time for the Einkorn flour to absorb the liquid. You can also let it sit overnight in the fridge.
- Make the crumb topping. If you want to add a crumb topping, mix together as directed.
- Portion the muffins. Once the batter has sat, stir once more to make sure there aren't any lumps or pockets of flour. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into regular sized muffin tins that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Top with either the oat or einkorn crumb topping.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with just a few crumbs.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins
- Einkorn Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins: Fold semi-sweet chocolate chips into the pumpkin muffin batter.
- Einkorn Pumpkin Apple Muffins: Mix in diced apples for a fruity contrast to the pumpkin flavor.
- Einkorn Maple Glazed Pumpkin Muffins: Drizzle your pumpkin muffins with a sweet maple glaze made from maple syrup and powdered sugar.
- Einkorn Chai Spiced Pumpkin Muffins: Incorporate chai spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
- Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins with Ginger and Molasses: Add ground ginger and a touch of molasses to your pumpkin muffin batter for a warm and spicy flavor reminiscent of gingerbread.
Tips for Working With All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- When adapting your favorite recipes with Einkorn All-Purpose flour, you will need to either reduce the amount of liquid in your recipe or add approximately 25-30% more flour.
- There is much less gluten in all-purpose einkorn flour so the water doesn't absorb as quickly. Giving the batter a little time to absorb the moisture will keep your muffins super soft and fluffy.
- Einkorn flour isn't ground quite as fine as regular flour you would purchase at a supermarket. You won't notice this when the muffins are baked as long as you give a few extra minutes for the batter to rest.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! If you want to substitute regular all-purpose flour for any recipe that calls for all-purpose einkorn flour, you will just need to decrease the amount of flour by about 25%. You also don't need to let the batter rest.
Einkorn flour is not technically gluten-free and should not be consumed by people with celiac disease. It is, however, far more easily digestible for those with gluten intolerances. If you need gluten free muffins, try substituting any of your favorite gluten-free flour brands according to their instructions.
Storing And Freezing
- Storing: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing: cool completely then store your muffins in freezer bags in the freezer. They will be good for up to 3 months stored this way. To thaw, transfer to the fridge overnight, then set out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or microwave briefly to take the chill off.
Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- ½ cup Butter melted
- 1 15-oz can Pumpkin Puree
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2½ cups All-Purpose Einkorn Flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
Crumb Topping with Oatmeal
- ⅛ cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats ground in the blender until fine
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
Crumb Topping with Einkorn Flour
- 2 Tablespoon All-Purpose Einkorn Flour
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 24 regular sized muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the melted butter, pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose einkorn flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Gently fold the pumpkin puree mixture in with the dry ingredients. Mix until combined then cover with plastic wrap. Let the batter sit for at least 20 minutes to give time for the Einkorn flour to absorb the liquid. You can also let it sit overnight in the fridge.
- Once the batter has sat, stir once more to make sure there aren't any lumps or pockets of flour. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin tin, or until ¾ full. Top with either the oat or einkorn crumb topping.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean with just a few crumbs. Enjoy!
Oatmeal Crumb Topping
- In a blender, grind oatmeal until the texture resembles cornmeal. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, and cinnamon. Scoop about ¾ Tablespoon onto each muffin before baking.
Einkorn Flour Crumb Topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose einkorn flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Scoop about ¾ Tablespoon onto each muffin before baking.
More Easy Einkorn Flour Recipes
- Double Chocolate Einkorn Brownies
- Einkorn Cinnamon Rolls
- Einkorn Cinnamon Breadsticks
- Chocolate Chip Einkorn Cookies
- Einkorn German Pancakes
- Einkorn Buttermilk Pancakes
- Homemade Einkorn White Bread
- Einkorn Snickerdoodles
- More Fall Recipes
- More Muffin Recipes
This Einkorn Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins recipe is so easy and a fall favorite! It's made with all-purpose einkorn flour and has an optional sugar crumb topping. The will soon become your family's fall favorite!