This Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe is a quick and delicious way to enjoy the flavors of the fall season. They’re super moist, full of yummy pumpkin flavor and topped with a crunchy brown sugar streusel.
Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
When we say easy, we mean 4-ingredients easy. This Easy Pumpkin Muffins Recipe is made by tossing a can of pumpkin puree into a box of spice cake mix and a couple of eggs and melted butter. The flavors are perfect, the muffins bake up super moist and you don’t even need a mixer or measuring cups to make the batter.
The concept isn’t completely new - you will find some 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins that literally just use a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree. But, we’re going for yummy instead of healthy here. These little guys are even topped off with a buttery brown sugar and pumpkin spice streusel. They’re so good, and so easy, you’ll be making these for every school fundraiser, Halloween party, and cool fall weekend.
See below for other variations and ways to hack a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree, and let us know what you loved.
Ingredients in Spice Cake Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Puree: the easiest route to go is to buy unsweetened canned pumpkin puree. You can also make your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree using small pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins.
- Eggs: any type of large eggs will work.
- Butter: use unsalted butter for this recipe. You can also substitute vegetable oil, or even half vegetable oil and half applesauce if you want something with a little less fat.
- Cake Mix: try and find a Spice Cake Mix as it already has a great blend of pumpkin pie spices in it (both Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines have versions).
- Butter: use cold, cubed butter to make this streusel.
- Brown Sugar: you can use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Flour: all-purpose flour works great.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: you should be able to find pumpkin pie spice mix in the spice section at the grocery store.
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Muffins With Cake Mix
- Make the batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk together until smooth. Add in spice cake mix. Mix until combined.
- Scoop into muffin pans. Grease or line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling them about ¾ of the way full.
- Make the streusel topping. In a large bowl, combine cold cubed butter, brown sugar, flour and pumpkin spice. Stir with a spatula, wooden spoon or even your hands, mixing until a crumble forms, then sprinkle about 1 tablespoon onto each muffin.
- Bake. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and serve. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing the muffins from the muffin tin and cooling completely at room temperature. Enjoy!
- Pumpkin Cupcakes: treat these like cupcakes and top with cream cheese frosting.
- Pumpkin Bread: bake this recipe in two 8”x4” loaf pans. The bake time will increase, so keep an eye on it and check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, your bread is baked.
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Muffins: try using a gluten-free spice cake mix to make your muffins gluten-free. You could even substitute gluten-free flour in the streusel if you still want a crunchy topping.
- Add-ins: try adding chopped pecans or walnuts, chocolate chips, or even dried fruit to the pumpkin muffin batter before baking.
- Mini Muffins: bake the batter in mini muffin pans for a baby shower, dessert buffet, or snack for the kiddos.
Storing and Freezing
- Refrigerator: store your leftover Pumpkin Spice Cake Muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. We recommend bringing them to room temperature before eating.
- Freezer: these freeze great for up to 2 months. Store in an airtight container or freezer bags and thaw out in the fridge overnight or on the counter top for a few hours.
Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 15-oz can Pumpkin Puree unsweetened
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Butter melted and cooled
- 1 15.25-oz box Spice Cake Mix
- 6 Tablespoons Butter cold and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or line 24 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk together until smooth. Add in spice cake mix. Mix until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling them about ¾ of the way full.
- In a large bowl, combine cold cubed butter, brown sugar, flour and pumpkin spice. Stir with a spatula, wooden spoon or even your hands, mixing until a crumble forms. Set aside.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of streusel topping onto each muffin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing the muffins from the muffin tin and cooling completely at room temperature. Enjoy!
More Pumpkin Recipes We Love
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Pumpkin Pie
- Best Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Rice Pudding
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins
- More Fall Recipes
- More Breakfast Recipes
- More Quick Breads
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Cake Mix Pumpkin Muffins are super moist, full of yummy pumpkin flavor and are topped off with a crunchy brown sugar streusel. They're so easy you don't even need a mixer or measuring cups.