These Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats with sprinkles are a fun and colorful twist on the classic childhood favorite. They’re extra gooey and perfect for kids birthday parties or as a cute after school treat.
Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats With Sprinkles
Add a little splash of fun with these colorful Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats with sprinkles. Each no bake cereal bar is loaded with rainbow sprinkles and extra marshmallows.
These are perfect for birthday parties or even just as an easy lunch box dessert or after school snack. To get a true Rice Krispies birthday cake mash up, try adding 1 cup of Funfetti cake mix to the melted marshmallow mixture. Or, if you want to start with a clean slate, here is our plain Rice Krispie Treat recipe.
Rice Krispie Birthday Treats Ingredients
- Salted Butter - salted butter will give these such a great flavor, but if you prefer you can use unsalted. Do not try and use margarine, though, as the final texture will not be right.
- Marshmallows - mini marshmallows melt much more easily so those are the ones we recommend. If you only have large marshmallows, chop them up first. Also be sure and use fresh marshmallows because they will give the finished treats a much better texture. You will need some to melt into the butter and some to mix in later. The extra handful makes the finished treats extra gooey and delicious.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best. For a slightly different flavor profile you can also use ½ teaspoon of coconut extract.
- Rice Krispies Cereal - any brand of crispy, puffed rice cereal will work. You can also try other types of cereal to make these with, such as Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops and Golden Grahams.
- Sprinkles - any type of soft colored sprinkles will work great. Try and avoid crunchy sprinkles, such as non-perils. To get that funfetti cake batter look use rainbow sprinkles. You may also want to reserve some then add the remaining sprinkles over the top of the Rice Krispie Treats once they have been pressed down.
How to Make Rice Krispies With Sprinkles
- Melt the butter and marshmallows. In a large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Once completely melted, add 4 cups of the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Remove from heat, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies, additional marshmallows, and sprinkles. In a large bowl, combine the Rice Krispies and 1½ cups of mini marshmallows and mix. Add the marshmallow mixture to the melted butter mixture and stir gently until combined. Finally, add the sprinkles and gently mix again.
- Press into a baking dish. Transfer the cereal mixture into a lightly greased 9” x 13” baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture evenly into the dish, then either wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray so that the Rice Krispies Treats are about ¾-1" thick.
- Cool. Let cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or until they hold their shape. Once cooled, cut into 3” squares or any other desired size.
- Serve. Serve or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
How to Make Rice Krispies Birthday Cake Batter Treats
Another fun variation is to stir in 1 cup of Funfetti cake mix right after you have completely melted the marshmallows. It adds a little birthday cake batter flavor and a little extra confetti color throughout.
Recipe Variations for Rice Krispies Treats
Here are just a few ideas for Rice Krispies Treats variations to get you started. Feel free to mix and match flavors, add your favorite ingredients, and get creative with your Rice Krispies treats.
- Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats: For an extra chocolatey twist, drizzle melted chocolate on top once the treats have set.
- Rice Krispie Pops: Based off of our Rice Krispies Treat recipe, they take just a few additional steps to make but are oh-so-adorable. Decorate in red, white, and blue for the 4th of July, funfetti sprinkles for birthdays, orange for Halloween and so on.
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cereal Bars: These no bake Reese's Peanut Butter Cereal Bars are an ooey-gooey, peanut buttery delight. Topped with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and a white chocolate drizzle. If desired, sprinkle crushed peanuts on top for added crunch and flavor.
- Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats: Instead of using plain Rice Krispies, try substituting them with a fruity flavored cereal like Fruity Pebbles or Trix. The vibrant colors and fruity taste will give your treats a fun twist. You can even add some dried fruit pieces, such as chopped dried strawberries or blueberries, for an extra burst of flavor.
- Caramel Rice Krispie Treats: Create a caramel twist by adding ¼ cup of caramel sauce to the melted marshmallows. Stir until well combined and then mix in the Rice Krispies. For an extra caramel kick, drizzle some caramel sauce on top of the treats once they have cooled and set.
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats: Crush 8-10 Oreo cookies into fine crumbs and mix them into the melted marshmallow mixture. For a finishing touch, sprinkle some extra cookie crumbs on top.
- Lucky Charms Cookie Bars: These cute No Bake Lucky Charms Bars are just as delicious as Rice Krispies Treats, only with more color and adorable marshmallow shapes. They’re perfect for kids parties around St Patrick’s Day, but they can really be made at any time of the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The best way is to store them between layers of parchment or wax paper before placing them into an airtight container or freezer bags. You can store them frozen for up to 1 month.
If you want even more color you could substitute half Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies, or Froot Loops.
Nope - it’s best to store Rice Krispie Treats in a cool dry place at room temperature. As long as they are sealed up in an airtight container they should stay fresh for 2-3 days.
- Room Temperature: store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: store between layers of parchment or wax paper before placing them into an airtight container or freezer bags for up to 1 month.
Rice Krispies Treats With Sprinkles Recipe
- ¼ cup Salted Butter
- 5½ cups Mini Marshmallows split (4 cups to melt, 1½ cups to mix in)
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- ¼ cup Sprinkles
- Coat the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add 4 cups of mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost all melted. Turn the heat off and stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the Rice Krispies and 1½ cups of mini marshmallows and mix. Add the marshmallow mixture to the melted butter mixture and stir gently until combined. Finally, add the sprinkles and gently mix again.
- Transfer into the prepared baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly. Lightly wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and lightly pat down the Rice Krispies Treats.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or until they hold their shape. Cut into 3" squares to serve. Enjoy!
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
- Classic Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Pops
- Red White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
- Rice Krispie Birds Nests
- Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Fruity Pebble Rice Crispy Treats
- Lucky Charms Cookie Bars
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- More Easy Dessert Recipes
- More No Bake Desserts
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Birthday Cake Rice Crispy Treats are extra gooey, colorful, and so easy to make. They're a perfect alternative for kid birthday parties or an easy afternoon treat.