These Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are just as quick and easy as the original recipe but with a yummy cocoa twist. Plus, they can be ready to eat in 30 minutes flat without ever having to turn on the oven.
No-Bake Cocoa Rice Krispies Treats
If you are looking for a perfect twist on the classic Rice Krispies treat, we’ve got you covered. There is something about chocolate and marshmallows that just works. Luckily, this Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats recipe is just as simple and equally delicious.
If you want to go a step further, try adding a cup of mini chocolate chips or a half cup of melted chocolate to the mixture. Want to get really fancy? Make these puppies triple chocolate and dip them halfway in melted white, milk or dark chocolate or give them a simple chocolate drizzle. So many chocolatey options!
And, if more of the best cereal dessert recipes are what you are after, we’ve got you covered. If you love chocolate dessert recipes, be sure to try our Peanut Butter Cereal Bars, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Cream Puffs, and Hot Fudge Recipe.
Ingredients in Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Butter - we love the flavor of salted butter in this recipe, but if you are looking to reduce sodium you can use unsalted.
- Marshmallows - we highly suggest using mini marshmallows as they melt much more quickly. Also be sure you are using very fresh marshmallows as more stale marshmallows have a tendency to make the Rice Krispies bars hard.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best. For a flavor variation, you can also try coconut extract.
- Kellogg Cocoa Krispies Cereal - you should be able to find these right next to the regular ones. Or, you can substitute half Cocoa Pebbles if you don’t want them quite as sweet.
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Melt the butter and marshmallows. Coat the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter, then set aside. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Turn the heat off and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the cereal. Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies and mix gently using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
- Press into your baking dish. Transfer the Rice Krispies Cereal mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly into the dish, then either wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and pat down the Rice Krispies treats.
- Cool and cut. Cool for about 20 minutes, or until they hold their shape, then cut into 3" squares. Enjoy!
- Peanut Butter - if you are a peanut butter lover you will fall madly in love with these Reese’s Peanut Butter Cereal Bars.
- Double Chocolate - mix in half a cup of melted dark or milk chocolate or half a cup of mini chocolate chips. You can also dip the tops into chocolate, or dip them halfway along the side.
- Red, White and Blue - make these for the Fourth of July, or any other patriotic holiday.
- Fruity Pebbles - these rainbow colored Fruity Pebble Rice Krispies are perfect for birthday parties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Rice Krispies Treats Without Marshmallows?
Whether you are vegetarian or just looking to make these a little healthier, we have good news! Instead of marshmallows, heat 1 ½ cups creamy peanut butter (or any other nut butter) and 1 cup of maple syrup or honey in a sauce pot on low heat. Once it’s melted and combined evenly, mix in your vanilla extract and Cocoa Rice Krispies and finish as directed.
How Can I Make This Rice Krispie Treat Recipe in the Microwave?
This is one recipe that you can make entirely in the microwave if you wish.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat butter and marshmallows for about 3 minutes total, stopping to stir after each minute. (Keep in mind that microwave cooking times may vary.)
- Stir until completely melted and smooth, then add Kellogg Cocoa Krispies and vanilla extract and follow the recipe as directed for stovetop instructions.
You can store your Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or, if you want to store them for even longer, you can store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. Just be sure to avoid the fridge which will make them soggy.
Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- ¼ cup Butter salted
- 14 oz Mini Marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies Cereal
- Coat the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter, then set aside.
- In a large dutch oven pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Turn the heat off and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies and mix gently using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
- Transfer the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly into the dish, then either wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and pat down the Rice Krispies treats.
- Cool for about 20 minutes, or until they hold their shape, then cut into 3" squares. Enjoy!
Here are some more of our favorite no-bake recipes!
- Nilla Wafer Pie Crust
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Cherry Cheesecake Dip
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies
- More No Bake Desserts
- More Cookie Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
If you are looking for a perfect twist on the classic Rice Krispies treat, this Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats recipe is just as simple and equally delicious. And just like the original, they can be ready to eat in 30 minutes flat without ever having to turn on the oven.
So easy to make. We love them!
You can never go wrong with rice krispie treats...especially chocolate ones!!