Our version of Rice Krispies Treats is as gooey, buttery and delicious as the original with a few small tweaks. A little extra salted butter and a hint of pure vanilla extract turns this already amazing sweet treat into something truly special.
The Original Rice Krispies Treats
While we know there are plenty of places to find the original Rice Krispies Treats recipe on the internet, we wanted to give you our version complete with tips, tricks and variations. This classic no-bake treat is a guaranteed hit for people of all ages.
Want to know why else we love them? For starters, they are crazy simple to make. Rice Krispies Treats are probably the first dessert that our kids learned how to make. They are also super customizable. Next time you are at the grocery store, stand in the cereal aisle and pick out a different cereal to try. We’re willing to bet it will taste good in gooey marshmallow treat form.
Use this recipe to make the cutest 4th of July No Bake Treats, add some festive sprinkles to celebrate your favorite holiday, or swap out half of the rice Krispies and sub fruity pebbles for a simple dessert any day of the week.
Ingredients in Rice Krispies Treats
- Salted Butter - salted butter will give these such a great flavor, but if you prefer you can use unsalted. Do not try and use margarine, though.
- Marshmallows - mini marshmallows melt much more easily so those are the ones we recommend. Also be sure and use fresh marshmallows because they will give the finished treats a much better texture.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Rice Krispies Treats Cereal - any brand of crispy, puffed rice cereal will work. You can also try other types of cereal to make these with, such as Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops and Golden Grahams.
How to Make Rice Krispies Treats
- Melt the butter and marshmallows. In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Remove from heat, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the Rice Krispies. Add the Rice Krispies and mix gently using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
- Press into a baking dish. Transfer the cereal mixture into a 9”x13” baking dish that has been buttered. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly into the dish, then either wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and pat down the Rice Krispies treats.
- Cool and serve. Cool for about 20 minutes, or until they hold their shape, then cut into 3" squares. Enjoy!
Of course the original Rice Krispies Treats are a classic for a reason. However, if you want to try and mix things up, give one of these variations a try:
- Brown butter. Swap out for an equal amount of brown butter for a rich, nutty flavor.
- Different cereal. Try using Froot Loops, Fruity Pebbles Rice Crispy Treats or Golden Grahams cereal.
- Add sprinkles. For a festive twist, add any sprinkles! You can do rainbow sprinkles for a kid’s birthday or red and green for the holidays.
- Dip in chocolate. Dip your cereal treats halfway into your favorite chocolate fountain or, give them a drizzle of melted chocolate.
Tips and Tricks
- Always use fresh marshmallows! It makes a huge difference in the overall texture.
- Try your hardest not to press down too hard on the Rice Krispies Treats in the pan because the harder you press, the harder they will become once they set up.
- Pure vanilla extract is a must. It’s the main flavor in these treats so the better the vanilla, the better the flavor.
- Rather than buttering your baking dish, you can line it with parchment paper to keep it from sticking.
- Most puffed rice cereal is gluten-free, which means this recipe will also be gluten-free. Just be sure and check the side of the box before making.
Store your Rice Krispies Treats in even layers separated by wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- ¼ cup Salted Butter
- 14 oz Mini Marshmallows or 4 cups
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Coat the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter or cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost completely melted. Remove from heat, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix gently using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
- Transfer the cereal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly into the dish, then either wet or spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and pat down the Rice Krispies treats.
- Cool for about 20 minutes, or until they hold their shape, then cut into 3" squares. Enjoy!
More of the best no-bake dessert recipes:
- 21 Best No-Bake Bars and Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Wafer Cookies
- Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
- Peanut Butter Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes
- More No Bake Desserts
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These classic Rice Krispies Treats are made with a little extra salted butter, a hint of pure vanilla extract and lots of love. This no-bake treat is a guaranteed hit for people of all ages.