These Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect dessert to bring along to any Fourth of July festivity. This colorful variation is a fun and patriotic way to make these nostalgic no-bake treats.
Homemade Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
If you need to think of a last minute Fourth of July dessert, look no further. These Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies treats are perfect on so many levels. They’re cute, familiar, gluten-free, can sit out in the hot sun and they only take a few minutes to throw together. Plus, they are just as popular with adults as they are with kids.
During the summertime, you should be able to find a couple brands offering this limited edition variety so you can feel free to mix and match. We’ve also given you a few variation and substitution ideas if you want to try something a little different.
If you are looking for more red white and blue recipes, we also have a delicious Patriotic French Toast Bake perfect for Fourth of July brunch. You're also going to want to try these adorable brownie bites, sugar cookie fruit pizza, and more patriotic summer recipes.
Ingredients in Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
- Butter - we like to use salted butter because there is no added salt in this recipe and because it helps keep them fresh for longer, but you can definitely substitute unsalted butter if you prefer.
- Marshmallows - we like mini marshmallows because they melt much more easily.
- Red, White and Blue Cereal - you should be able to find Rice Krispies with Red & Blue Krispies in the summertime. Captain Crunch has a similar limited edition cereal that you could either substitute or use half and half.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best, or substitute the same amount of coconut extract for a different flavor.
How to Make Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats
- Melt the butter and marshmallows. In a large dutch oven pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are almost all melted, then remove from heat, add the vanilla and stir.
- Stir in the cereal. Once the marshmallows are melted, add the cereal and mix carefully using a rubber spatula until combined.
- Press into baking dish. Coat the inside of a 9"x13" baking dish with butter, then pour the cereal mixture in and spread evenly using the back of a spoon. Spray a small amount of nonstick cooking spray on your hands and gently press down the Rice Krispies Treats.
- Cool, cut and serve. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 10 minutes, or until they hold their shape. To serve, cut into 3" squares and enjoy!
Variations and Tips
- Use brown butter instead of plain melted butter for a sweet, nutty flavor variation.
- Mix in ½ cup of peanut butter with the marshmallows. Nutella would taste great, too.
- Sprinkle Red, White and Blue M&Ms over the top before the mixture sets.
- Mix Red, White and Blue sprinkles into the mixture.
- Use cookie cutters to cut them out into all sorts of fun shapes.
- Don't press the mixture down too forcefully. You will risk smashing the cereal and they will be much harder once set up.
- Even though it is tempting, don't try and cut the Rice Krispies Treats until they are set up or they won't hold their shape and will start to fall apart.
Storing Rice Krispies Treats
Store Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Or, if you want to store them for even longer, you can store them in the freezer for up to a month. Just avoid the refrigerator which will make them soggy.
Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- ¼ cup Butter salted
- 14 oz Mini Marshmallows or about 4 cups
- 6 cups Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispies Cereal
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Coat the inside of a 9"x13" baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted, then remove from heat, add the vanilla and stir.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, add the cereal and mix carefully using a rubber spatula until combined.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared 9 by 13" baking dish and spread evenly into the prepared baking dish using the back of a spoon.
- Spray a small amount of nonstick cooking spray on your hands and gently press down the Rice Krispies Treats, then allow to cool at room temperature for at least 10 minutes, or until they hold their shape.
- To serve, cut into 3" squares and enjoy!
Here are more of our favorite summer desserts!
- Lemon Raspberry Parfait
- Fruit Pizza
- Lemon Cheesecake Fruit Dip
- Peanut Butter S'mores Cups
- Zucchini Cupcakes
- More 4th of July Recipes
- More No Bake Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
These Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies Treats are fun, familiar, gluten-free, can sit out in the hot sun and only take a few minutes to throw together. They make the perfect last minute Fourth of July dessert that is sure to be popular with adults and kids alike.