This Spicy Cheesy Potatoes recipe is a simple variation of the classic cheesy potatoes casserole. It’s creamy, cheesy, and made with green chiles for a little extra kick.
Spicy Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
If you are a fan of cheesy potato recipes, give this simple Tex Mex version a try. These Spicy Cheesy Potatoes are just as creamy and cheesy as the classic side dish but with a hefty dose of diced green chiles to add a spicy kick.
Feel free to use a combination of cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese if you want even more spice, then serve with sliced green onions and a little dash of hot sauce - yum! As with all cheesy potato recipes, you can easily make this ahead of time following our instructions below.
Green Chile Cheesy Potatoes Ingredients
- Butter: You will use this to saute your diced onions until they are soft, tender, and just barely golden brown.
- Onion: white or yellow onions work great. Caramelizing the onion makes all the difference and it’s worth the little bit of extra time. You can also use 1-2 teaspoons of onion powder in a pinch.
- Shredded Potatoes: You can use the frozen hash browned potatoes in the supermarket's freezer section. If you prefer to use real potatoes, you can certainly make this a cheesy potato casserole with real potatoes. Just shred the potatoes before adding them and allow 15 minutes of extra cooking time. Or, cut into ½” pieces and parboil, then add the diced potatoes to your mixture and make as directed.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: any brand will do. You can also use cream of chicken soup in a pinch.
- Sour Cream: Full fat or low fat; either will work.
- Shredded Cheese: Any blend of shredded cheddar cheese will work, or you could use pepper jack to add even more spice.
- Chicken Broth: Any kind or brand will do. You can also sub for vegetable broth if you want to keep vegetarian ingredients.
- Garlic Salt: or equal parts garlic powder and salt.
- Canned Green Chiles: you will need two of the 4 ounce cans of diced green chiles for this recipe. If you want to make it even spicier, feel free to add a little pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
How to Make This Spicy Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Cook the onions. In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until the onion lightly caramelizes - about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1½ cups shredded cheese, the cooked onions, garlic salt, green chiles, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Bake. Spread the potato mixture into a 9x13" baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese evenly over the top. Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! You can make the entire casserole the night before - just don’t bake it. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Once you are ready to bake, remove from the fridge while you preheat the oven, then bake as directed.
You can make these ahead of time and freeze for later if you want. I recommend making them in a disposable foil baking dish if you plan on freezing. Once you are ready to back, allow them to thaw in the fridge and then bake as directed.
If you would rather use fresh potatoes, I recommend cutting them into ½” pieces and parboiling until slightly tender. From there, make the recipe as directed.
Storing and Reheating
- Make Ahead: Make the potato casserole ahead of time but don't bake it. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 48 hours before baking. When you're ready to bake it, take the plastic wrap off and let the casserole dish come up to room temperature. (If you add a cold glass casserole dish to an oven, you risk it shattering). Preheat the oven and bake as normal.
- Freezing: This can be made ahead of time and frozen for later. It works great to put it in a disposable foil baking dish. (This makes for such an easy cleanup!). When freezing, wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. When you're ready to bake it, remove the plastic wrap but cover it with foil. Bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and then bake again for 15 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Storing after Baking: Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: Place the desired amount of potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, stir and heat again until warm. You can also reheat in a preheated 350 degree oven until warm.
Spicy Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Yellow Onion diced into ½" pieces
- 1 20-oz bag Frozen Shredded Potatoes
- 1 10-oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (save ½ cup to sprinkle on the top before baking)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 4-oz cans Diced Green Chiles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of a 9" x 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until the onion lightly caramelizes - about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, 1½ cups shredded cheese, the cooked onions, garlic salt, green chiles, and chicken broth. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread the potato mixture into your prepared 9"x13" baking dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly and lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
More Potato Side Dish Recipes
- Best Cheesy Potatoes Casserole
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins Recipe
- Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Breakfast Hash Browns
- Fingerling Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Best Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- More Potato Recipes
- Best Holiday Side Dishes
- More Holiday Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Spicy Cheesy Potato Bake is an easy side dish that's perfect for holidays or other get togethers. They're creamy, cheesy, and made with diced green chiles for a little extra kick.