This classic Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is full of tender rotisserie chicken, creamy dill dressing and crunchy apples and celery. Serve as a chicken salad croissant roll, sandwich bread or in a bowl with crackers for a simple make-ahead lunch.
Best Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Sometimes nothing beats a classic Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich. This recipe makes a no frills, super nostalgic chicken salad that rivals the best of them. It’s creamy, crunchy and filled with tender bites of rotisserie chicken.
I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week that I can pull to make a quick dinner, easy school lunch or even a simple snack. In this recipe, we serve our Chicken Salad on a croissant or as a chicken salad slider but you can easily swap that out for your favorite roll, sliced bread or tortilla wrap.
We’ve also given you a few simple ideas for recipe variations to try if you’d like. We think this is the best of best when it comes to chicken salad sandwich recipes. Let us know what you think!
Ingredients in Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Chicken - our favorite chicken to use is rotisserie chicken because it is easy peasy. You can also use up any leftover chicken that you have, or cook chicken breasts however you would like. Roasted, grilled, poached, you name it - it all works.
- Celery - we like to slice celery stalks in half lengthwise, then dice into small pieces.
- Apple - Granny smith apples are our favorite for chicken salad because they are tart and crisp. You can leave the peel on or off.
- Onion - this chicken salad recipe calls for green onions, but you could substitute red onion if you prefer.
- Dill - fresh dill tastes best, but you can use dried if that is all you can find.
- Mayonnaise - use your favorite kind.
- Sour Cream - this adds a little different flavor than if you were to use only mayo. You may find you want to adjust the quantities of each slightly to your taste.
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Make the chicken salad mixture. In a large bowl combine the diced rotisserie chicken, celery, green onions, apple, dill, mayonnaise, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix until combined, then set aside.
- Build sandwiches. To make sandwiches, first cut each croissant in half. Add approximately ½ cup of chicken mixture onto the roll then top with a piece of lettuce and the top of the croissant.
- Serve. Serve immediately, storing any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Ways to Use Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches- Just add some lettuce and Chicken salad to your favorite crusty Sourdough Bread for an amazing sandwich.
- Chicken Salad Sliders- Add a couple tablespoons to a slider bun to make a mini version-Perfect for a baby shower or bridal shower
- Crackers- This is an easy make ahead, dip for crackers.
- Chicken Croissant Sandwich- Use Croissant Rolls of any size.
- Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps- Try this for an easy low carb version.
Chicken Salad Recipe Variations
- Different rolls. Instead of a croissant, you can make your Chicken Salad Sandwich on a potato roll, a bagel or between two slices of your favorite sandwich bread. Or you can slice a package of slider rolls in two for the best chicken salad sliders.
- Gluten-free. Add this chicken salad to romaine lettuce hearts. Fold in two and it's a low carb Chicken Salad Recipe.
- Wraps. Wrap the chicken salad mixture into a large tortilla along with your favorite crunchy veggies.
- Add different ingredients. Some other yummy ingredients to add are sliced grapes, chives, diced pickles and dijon mustard.
- Crackers. Serve chicken salad in a bowl with a variety of crackers for easy snacking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Definitely! Chicken salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days so you can make it well in advance if you would like.
Chicken salad can be served on any other type of roll or bread, wrapped in a tortilla, in a bowl with crackers on the side or wrapped into a large lettuce leaf for a gluten-free sandwich.
- Refrigerator: store leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 4 cups Rotisserie Chicken diced into ⅓" chunks
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 medium Granny Smith Apple peeled and diced
- 6 Green Onions sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons Dill finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 8 leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
- 8 Croissant Rolls sliced in half
- In a large bowl combine the diced rotisserie chicken, celery, green onions, apple, dill, mayonnaise, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix until combined, then set aside.
- To make sandwiches, first cut each croissant in half.
- Add approximately ½ cup of chicken mixture onto the roll then top with a piece of lettuce and the top of the croissant.
- Serve immediately, storing any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Here are more of our favorite chicken recipes:
- Mississippi Chicken
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Red Chicken Enchiladas
- Honey Soy Drumsticks
- Oven-Baked Cornflake Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- More Healthy Chicken Recipes
- More Salad Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is creamy, crunchy and filled with tender bites of rotisserie chicken. Serve on a croissant, sandwich bread, your favorite bun or in a bowl with crackers for a simple snack.