Fresh Pumpkin Bread from scratch is moist, delicious, and so easy to make. This moist pumpkin bread is full of seasonal spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves to get you in a cozy fall mood.
Fresh Pumpkin Bread Recipe
This is the best Pumpkin Bread recipe made entirely from scratch. It's the perfect grab-and-go fall breakfast or snack to prepare you for the season. You can go all out and use fresh pumpkin puree or simply use canned pumpkin.
No matter what, the results are tender, moist, full of pumpkin flavor, and delicious every single time. Basically, if you love pumpkin, you will love this recipe.
Follow along for ingredient info, answers to how to make the best Pumpkin Bread, and other frequently asked questions. And, if you are short on time, or just prefer an even quicker shortcut, we’ve even got a recipe for making pumpkin muffins using cake mix. Huzzah!
Fresh Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
- Pumpkin Puree - the easiest route to go is to buy unsweetened canned pumpkin puree. Make sure you don’t accidentally buy pumpkin pie filling because it has additional spices and sweeteners in it. You can also make your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree using small pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins.
- Brown Sugar - you can use light or dark brown sugar for this recipe.
- Sugar - this recipe also uses white granulated sugar.
- Butter - unsalted butter works great. You’ll want to melt it but make sure it’s not hot. You could also substitute vegetable oil if you want to make this dairy-free.
- Eggs - any kind of large eggs will work great. It’s helpful if they are at room temperature when you go to mix them. If you forget to pull them out ahead of time, you can also run the eggs under warm water for a minute or so.
- Flour - all-purpose flour works great, as does cake flour.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - these ingredients help the Pumpkin Bread rise in the oven as well as keep the crumb nice and soft.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Spices - this recipe calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. You could also substitute an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make Pumpkin Bread Recipe from Scratch
- Mix the batter. Mix the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well using a rubber spatula. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves and whisk together. Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula, mixing just until combined.
- Bake. Divide the batter evenly between 2 greased 8” x 4.5” loaf pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees F.
- Cool. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of the bread and tease the bread out of the pan.
- Serve. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe Variations for Pumpkin Bread
Here are a few ideas for Pumpkin Bread variations that offer a range of textures, flavors, and ingredients. Feel free to mix and match in order to create your own.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread: Add semi-sweet chocolate chips to your pumpkin bread batter.
- Cream Cheese Swirl Pumpkin Bread: Create a cream cheese filling by blending cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Swirl this mixture into the pumpkin bread batter for a rich, tangy contrast.
- Pumpkin Nut Bread: Incorporate chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, into the pumpkin bread batter.
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread: Add dried cranberries to the batter for a tart and sweet element, balancing the richness of the pumpkin.
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread: Combine shredded zucchini with pumpkin for a moist and veggie-infused bread. Cinnamon and nutmeg enhance the flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to check if your bread is done baking is to either insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it comes out clean, or use a digital thermometer to check that it has reached 200 degrees F. If a toothpick doesn’t come out clean, or the temperature is below 200 degrees, put the loaves back in and continue to bake.
Moist quick breads like this or banana bread will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, or up to 2 months in the freezer. You can also store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Absolutely - you can use this same recipe to fill about 24 muffin tins. They should be filled about ⅔ full and the bake time will be closer to 22-24 minutes.
While this Pumpkin Bread tastes perfectly delicious all on its own, my family also loves to eat it with cream cheese, Nutella or honey butter.
Of course! Just substitute an equal amount of Homemade Pumpkin Puree for the canned puree.
Storing and Freezing
- Refrigerator: store leftover Pumpkin Bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. We recommend bringing it to room temperature before eating.
- Freezer: this bread freezes great for up to 2 months. Store wrapped in plastic wrap or freezer bags and thaw out in the fridge overnight or on the counter top for a few hours.
- Make-ahead: you can make the batter up to 1 day in advance and store covered in the fridge.
Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 15-oz can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Butter melted
- 4 large Eggs
- 3 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 8" x 4" pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and melted butter. Mix well using a rubber spatula.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves and whisk together.
- Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula, mixing just until combined. Divide the batter evenly between your prepared loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edges of the bread and tease the bread out of the pan.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Pumpkin Recipes to Try
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Easy Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Rice Pudding
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Einkorn Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- More Fall Recipes
- More Quick Breads
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Pumpkin Bread is tender, delicious and full of pumpkin flavor. It's made entirely from scratch using simple fall spices, real pumpkin puree and other basic ingredients.