This turkey and wild rice soup is one of the best leftover turkey recipes. If you're wondering what to make with leftover turkey, this is the soup for you! It's filled with wild rice, turkey, and delicious veggies.
Turkey and Rice Soup Recipe
This turkey and rice soup recipe can be made with leftover turkey or chicken. This is also a great rotisserie chicken recipe too. It can interchange the turkey for the chicken, no problem!
This turkey wild rice soup can be made in the crockpot or made on the stove in 30 minutes or less. It's a healthy and easy turkey wild rice soup recipe.
Looking For the Best Soup Recipes?
For some more homestyle soup recipes like this one, give these a try:
- Easy Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup - full of chicken, homestyle noodles, carrots and peas, and quick to throw together.
- Roasted Tomato Soup - roasting the tomatoes gives them so much more flavorful than the canned version, and it still tastes just as great with a grilled cheese.
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup - if you are a sucker for soup and potatoes, this is for you!
- Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup - loaded with veggies and cheddar cheese, this is delicious on it's own or served from a bread bowl.
- Turkey and Rice Soup - filled with wild rice, turkey and veggies.
- Taco Soup- A soup recipe that can be ready in about 20 minutes and loaded with all your favorite Southwest flavors.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup- An easy and creamy cheesy broccoli cheese soup everyone will love.
- Lasagna soup - A family favorite. It has all the amazing flavors of lasagna, in a 30-minute soup form.
What To Serve with Soup
Some kind of bread or crusty roll is my favorite to serve with this creamy broccoli soup. You can try my Homemade Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe. You better double the batch though because one batch is never enough. You can also make some homemade crescent rolls. They are buttery and soft and perfect for soup. If you're needing something a little more hearty, try my Simple Oven Baked Chicken Recipe. It is so easy to make and I swear is the most tender and juicy oven-baked chicken recipe.
Can You Freeze Turkey Rice Soup?
Yup! Just cool completely and transfer to freezer bags. Lay them flat in the freezer and store for up to 5 months. Once you are ready to use, you can thaw overnight in the fridge, or else transfer directly into a pot on the stovetop and re-heat on medium-low heat, stirring often.
If you want to go the microwave route, just transfer into a microwave-safe container and reheat for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
Tips for Making Turkey or Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
- You can use cooked Turkey or cooked chicken for this recipe.
- You can use your favorite rice. I like the wild rice in this recipe because it gives the soup a nice texture. Barley would also be good. Just be sure to cook it for the amount of time listed on the package.
- You can use your favorite veggies in this recipe too. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, celery, and onions are all great options.
- This recipe also freezes great, however, when you thaw it, you may need to add a little water or chicken stock to thin it. The rice absorbs a lot of the liquid and it's nice to have some broth too.
Turkey and Rice Soup
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 med Onion, chopped into small chuncks
- 3 ribs Celery (or approx 1 cup vegetables of your choice)
- 2 large Carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Turkey, cooked and cut into ½" chunks
- 2 cups Wild Rice--just about any type will do. (be sure to cook the rice according to the time given on the package or until soft)
- 5-6 cups Chicken Broth (or 5 tsp chicken base and 5 cups water)
- pinch salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until the onions are a light caramel color.
- Add the celery, carrots, turkey, rice, and chicken broth. Stir to combine and add a lid. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook the soup for 20 minutes or until the rice is soft. Salt and pepper to taste, enjoy!
Here are some other great Soup recipes:
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Pin this for later!!
This homemade soup made with leftover turkey and wild rice is one of the best leftover turkey soup recipes. If you're wondering what to make with leftover turkey, this is the soup for you! It's filled with wild rice, turkey, and delicious veggies.