This Classic Chicken Parmesan Recipe is delicious and easy. It's a homemade chicken parm recipe and has step-by-step instructions to make simple chicken parmesan any night of the week.
Easy Recipe for Chicken Parmesan
If you're wondering how to make a great no-fail recipe for chicken parmesan, here are a few steps to ensure your homemade chicken parmesan turns out to be as good as any chicken parmesan you'd order at your favorite Italian Restaurant. I also have a recipe for the Best Homemade Marinara Sauce too. Seriously, these two together, Wowza!
If you're looking for a lighter version, here's the recipe for my Oven-baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe.
This is an easy and simple chicken Parmesan recipe. Anyone can make this recipe, just follow along with the step-by-step instructions.
Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
- Chicken: I usually use the boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe; chicken tenderloins work too.
- Egg- Use the egg wash- The inside crust on the chicken comes from an egg wash mixture. The egg wash is made out was a little bit of water and then some salt and pepper.
- Breadcrumbs- These can be gluten-free breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs. Crackers or croutons work too.
- Parmesan Cheese- Added to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Herbs and Spices- Italian seasoning and garlic powder are used to flavor the crust.
- Marinara: You can certainly make your own marinara sauce. I actually have a great recipe on my site. It's an Italian Marinara sauce. Or just use your favorite jarred sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese- Top the marinara sauce with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven until melted and golden.
- Parsely- Finish off with chopped parsley, optional.
What to Serve with Homemade Chicken Parm
- Pasta- Any kind of pasta will work great
- Zoodles- Make your favorite zoodles and add some extra marinara sauce to top your zoodles.
- Salad- A Ceaser salad or a simple Italian Salad will work great. You could also serve it with a Pesto Pasta salad or a fruit salad too.
- Rolls- Dinner rolls, Crescent Rolls or some breadsticks would all be amazing too.
Tips for This Easy Recipe for Chicken Parmesan
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins.
- Be sure to use a digital thermometer to check the internal tempreture of the chicken. The internal tempreture of the chicken should reach 165 degrees.
- Serve on fettucini alfredo, spaghetti, or with a pasta bake.
- Serve with garlic bread, cheesy breadsticks, or roasted broccoli.
- Before beginning, trim or cut off any fat or tendons from your chicken breasts.
- Lay your chicken breast in a Ziplock bag or between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, rolling pin, or the bottom of a mason jar, give the chicken a few good whacks on the thickest part of the chicken breast. (You don't need the entire chicken breast to be the same thickness, but your chicken will cook much more evenly if the thickest part of the chicken breast isn't so thick. This will also make your chicken cook more evenly and be more tender.)
Classic Chicken Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Salt & Pepper
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts or aprox 6 oz. per person
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese grated or shredded is fine
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ Cups Bread Crumbs Can use crushed rice crackers to make gluten free
- ⅓ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cups Marinara Your favorite
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Can use part skim, whole, or fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
Preparing the Egg Wash
- Whisk together egg, water, salt and pepper in a pie plate or shallow dish. Add the chicken breasts and turn over with thongs to cover all sides of the chicken.
Prepare the Chicken Breasts
- Place chicken breast in a Ziplock bag or between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or the bottom of a mason jar, tap the thickest part of the chicken to to even out the thickness.
- On a plate, add the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and 6 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Mix.
Making the Chicken Parmesan
- Dip the raw chicken breast into the egg mixture, roll in the breadcrumb mixture (make sure all areas on the chicken breast are covered) and lay in a non-stick skillet with a couple of tablespoons of oil.
- Place your chicken breast in the skillet on medium heat. Cook your chicken breast until it is golden brown.
- Using tongs flip your chicken breast over and continue to cook on medium heat until the underside of the chicken breast is golden brown as well. (Your chicken breast will probably not be done at this point. The purpose of cooking in the pan is too crisp both sides of the chicken breasts and get your chicken nice and crispy.
- Add a scoop of your favorite marinara sauce into the chicken breast and cover with Mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet with the chicken in the oven and bake on 350 for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temp of the chicken reads 165 degrees. It's best to use a digital meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is thoroughly cooked but not overcooked. If your chicken is done but your cheese isn't quite done yet, turn your oven up to broil and broil the chicken breast for 1-2 min or until the cheese is golden.
- Garnish the chicken parmesan with minced parsley if desired. Enjoy!
Here are some of the best Italian pasta recipes your family will love:
- Meatball Pasta Bake
- Cheese Stuffed Pasta Bake
- Chicken Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Bake
- Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Bake
- Crockpot Lasagna
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Tomato Alfredo Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- More Easy Pasta Recipes
More Recipes You'll Love
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This homemade chicken parm is a classic chicken parmesan recipe. It has step by step instructions to make simple chicken parmesan any night of the week. It's as good as your favorite takeout chicken parmesan.