This Warm German Potato Salad Recipe with Bacon is a grilled potato salad with bacon, made with 3 different kinds of potatoes, and a dijon mustard vinaigrette dressing. It's the best no-mayo potato salad recipe.
Warm German Potato Salad Recipe with Bacon
This German Potato Salad is a family favorite. When we are looking for a no mayo potato salad recipe, this one is at the top of the list. It has so many wonderful flavors we all love, potatoes, bacon, green onions, and a dijon mustard vinegarette that is loaded with flavor!
What is the best no-mayo potato salad?
This potato salad is made with 3 types of potatoes. You can use favorite kinds of potatoes here, fingerling potatoes are a great option or just about any kind of small potato.
For this potato salad recipe, I used Red Potatoes, Yukon Gold Potatoes, and a Sweet Potato. Let me tell you, the sweet potato with the dijon vinegarette is a fantastic combo!
Warm German Potato Salad Recipe with Bacon
- 1 medium sized Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound Red Potatoes
- 1 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1 Pinch salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound Bacon to make homemade bacon bits
Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 5 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Avocado Oil
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ⅔ cup Green Onions
How to Prepare the Potatoes
- Wash and clean the potatoes. Cut off any blemishes or bruises. Peel the sweet potato and leave the skins on the other potatoes. Cut the small potatoes in half and cut the larger potatoes into similar size chunks. 1-1 ½" chunks.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil, salt the water with 2 tsp of water. You need only enough water in the pot to cover the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes. Do not cook the potatoes all the way through. Cook them only until you can put a fork in them without much force. (You will cook them the rest of the way on the grill)
- Preheat the grill.
- Strain the water off the potatoes. Add 2 Tablespoons of Avocado oil or another kind of cooking oil.
- Spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray. Place the potato chunks on the hot grill and lightly salt and pepper them.
- Grill the potatoes on each side for 4-5 minutes or until they are lightly golden and have grill marks.
How to make Homemade Bacon Bits
- Cut the slices of bacon into ¾" chunks. In a frying pan, add a half-pound of the chunked up bacon. cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the bacon bits are golden brown and slightly crispy. With a slotted spoon, scoop out the bacon bits and let them cook on a paper plate lined with a few layers of paper towels.
How to make the Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the white vinegar, Avocado oil, Dijon mustard, celery salt, and green onions.
- When the potatoes are done, take them off the grill, add the bacon bits, and lightly drizzle the dijon mustard vinaigrette. Toss the potato salad. Taste test and then add the salt and pepper if desired.
- You can serve this potato salad warm or cold. If you want to serve it cold, store it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
If you love potato recipes, Here are some of the best potato recipes ever!
- 3 Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins
- Classic Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- Smashed Potatoes
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
- Fingerling Potatoes with Rosemary
- Slow cooker Potatoes with Ham and Cheese
- Steakhouse Style Baked Potatoes
- More Potato Recipes
- More Best Side Dishes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
Your family is going to love this Warm German Potato Salad Recipe with Bacon. It is a grilled potato salad with bacon, made with 3 different kinds of potatoes, and a dijon mustard vinegarette dressing. It's the best no-mayo potato salad recipe. Enjoy!