This Strawberry and Cream Pie is an easy summer pie that is exploding with fresh strawberry flavor. It’s got a flakey homemade pie crust that is filled with creamy, dreamy no-bake cheesecake and then piled high with fresh glazed strawberries.
Best Strawberries and Cream Pie Recipe
This delicious Strawberry and Cream Pie, made with our flakey homemade pie crust, is a simple play on our Fresh Strawberry Pie recipe. Not only is it filled to the brim with fresh glazed strawberries, but we sneak in a silky smooth no-bake cheesecake layer. The rich cream cheese filling combined with sweet tart berries and a buttery crust is the ultimate flavor and texture combination. Serve as is, or topped with fresh whipped cream or Cool Whip.
If you are short on time, or just aren’t feeling up to heating up the kitchen, the strawberries and cream filling tastes amazing inside one of our other easy no-bake crusts, like this Graham Cracker Pie Crust or Nilla Wafer Pie Crust. And remember - there is no shame in using a store bought pie crust from time to time!
Ingredients in Strawberry and Cream Pie
Homemade Pie Crust
- Flour - you can use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Salt - any kind of sea salt or finely ground salt will work.
- Crisco - crisco works great because it doesn’t melt as easily as butter. But, you can absolutely substitute cold butter if you’d prefer.
- Water - use super cold water to keep the dough as cool as possible. You can even add ice cubes to the water (just don’t add the ice cubes into the dough).
- Cream Cheese - make sure your cream cheese is room temperature so that it will mix well with the whipped cream. If you forget to pull it out ahead of time, transfer to a microwave safe container and warm for about 10 seconds at a time until soft.
- Heavy Whipping Cream - make sure it is nice and cold when you whip it.
- Powdered Sugar - we prefer powdered confectioners sugar over granulated sugar because it has a super smooth texture when mixed into the cream layer.
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract tastes best.
Fresh Strawberry Pie Filling
- Strawberries - try and find strawberries that are as sweet and flavorful as possible. You’ll need to wash, hull and slice before using. Some strawberry pie recipes call for mashed strawberries, but I prefer the look of slicing them.
- Sugar - this recipe calls for regular granulated sugar.
- Lemon Juice - use fresh squeezed lemon juice for this recipe.
- Cornstarch - this helps to thicken the pie filling.
- Salt - sea salt works great.
- Butter - this will melt best if you cut it into chunks.
- Strawberry Extract - this really packs a punch of flavor, but if you can’t find it you can substitute vanilla extract, almond extract or just omit.
- Red Food Coloring - if you don’t like using food coloring, feel free to omit this ingredient. It’s here strictly for the visual appeal.
How to Make Strawberry and Cream Pie
- Make the pie dough. You can refer to our Homemade Pie Crust Recipe for detailed instructions on how to mix, roll and shape your own dough.
- Line the pie pan. Carefully line a pie plate with the rolled dough then fold the edges under and pinch the edges of the dough to make a decorative edge. Prick the edges and bottom of the pie crust with a fork, about 2 inches apart.
- Blind bake the crust. Line with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with ceramic pie beads or dry beans. Bake the prepared pie crust in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the filling.
- Prepare the strawberries. In a medium mixing bowl, add the sliced strawberries and lemon juice, then sprinkle with sugar and mix. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature, then drain the strawberries and reserve the juices.
- Make the cream layer. Once you have whipped the cream, transfer to another bowl and set aside. Cream the cream cheese using the paddle attachment, then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and cream until light and fluffy. Carefully fold in the reserved whipped cream, then transfer the mixture into the prepared pie crust and level off with a knife or offset spatula. Chill while you make the strawberry filling.
- Make the fresh strawberry filling. Put the reserved juices into a measuring cup and add enough water to equal ½ cup of liquid, then transfer the liquid to a small saucepan. Whisk together the cornstarch and salt and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Boil for 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and stir in the butter and strawberry extract. Whisk until butter is melted, then let cool to room temperature.
- Fill the pie shell. Add the thickened sauce to your fresh strawberries and fold together gently, then pour the entire strawberry mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly.
- Chill then serve. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the pie and let it come to room temperature before transferring to the fridge to cool for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Top or serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you have to blind bake the pie crust for any pie where the filling is not baked. If you would prefer to make a no-bake pie crust, you can check out either our Nilla Wafer Pie Crust or Graham Cracker Crust.
As long as it’s wrapped, it should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can, but it’s not recommended. Once the pie thaws, the berries will release moisture and the texture will never be quite the same.
It’s not recommended because once they thaw they become quite soft and mushy. Fresh berries will hold a firmer texture that holds up much better and have a much better texture.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: you can prep the pie crust days in advance. Pre-make and bake the pie crust and store at room temperature overnight or even in the freezer for up to 2 months. Otherwise, the entire pie can be made a day in advance, covered loosely in plastic, and stored in the fridge.
- Leftovers: any leftover pie can be wrapped loosely in plastic wrap and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Strawberries and Cream Pie Recipe
Single Pie Crust Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 4 oz Crisco or butter
- ¼ cup Water cold
- ¾ cup Heavy Whipping Cream cold
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Fresh Stawberry Pie Filling
- 4 cups Fresh Strawberries washed and sliced
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 ¾ Tablespoons Cornstarch
- ⅓ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- ¼ teaspoon Strawberry Extract
- 2 drops Red Food Coloring optional
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream cold
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Basic Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the four and salt. Add the Crisco (or cold butter) and use your fingers to combine. Once the mixture resembles coarse meal, make a well in the center and add the water.
- Carefully bring the flour mixture from the sides of the bowl into the center with the water and gently mix until combined and the flour is all moistened. Do not overmix or knead!
- Form the dough into a flat disc and wrap in plastic, let rest in the cooler for about 30 minutes - 1 hour. Note: if you don’t have time, don’t worry about chilling the dough. It’s a good practice, but not 100% necessary with this recipe.
- Once the dough has rested, remove from the plastic wrap and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin, start in the middle of the dough and roll outwards to make a circle. Roll into an evenly thick round circle large enough for the dough to hang over your pie plate at least ½".
- Carefully line a pie plate with the rolled dough then fold the edges under and pinch the edges of the dough to make a decorative edge. Prick the edges and bottom of the pie crust with a fork, about 2 inches apart, then line with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with ceramic pie beads or dry beans.
- Bake the prepared pie crust in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the filling.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cold whipping cream and whip using the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Add the room temperature cream cheese to the stand mixer bowl and cream using the paddle attachment for about 30 seconds. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue to cream until light and fluffy, or about 2 minutes.
- Carefully fold in the reserved whipped cream by hand until no streaks remain, then transfer the mixture into the prepared pie crust and level off with a knife or offset spatula.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill while you make the strawberry filling.
Fresh Strawberry Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the sliced strawberries and lemon juice, then sprinkle with sugar and mix. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature, then drain the strawberries and reserve the juices.
- Put the reserved juices into a measuring cup and add enough water to equal ½ cup of liquid, then transfer to a medium pot.
- Add the cornstarch and salt and whisk until smooth, then heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken.
- Boil for 30 seconds, then remove sauce from the heat and stir in the butter and strawberry extract. Whisk until butter is melted and combined, then let cool to room temperature.
- Add the thickened sauce to your fresh strawberries and fold together gently, then pour the entire strawberry mixture into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least one hour, or up to 24 hours before serving.
- Top or serve with homemade whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- In a large chilled bowl using a handheld mixer, or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add the cold heavy whipped cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whip the heavy cream mixture on medium high speed for about 3-4 minutes, or until medium peaks form.
- Use immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours.
More Delicious Strawberry Recipes
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Easy Strawberry Cream Scones
- Strawberry Sauce
- Virgin Strawberry Pina Colada
- Macerated Strawberries
- Cheesecake Filled Strawberries
- Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- More Dessert Recipes
- More Easy Pie Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Strawberry and Cream Pie recipe is hard to beat. Not only is it filled to the brim with fresh glazed strawberries, but we sneak in a silky smooth no-bake cheesecake layer.