This Strawberry Virgin Pina Colada is the perfect smoothie for a hot summer day. Made with frozen pineapples, frozen strawberries, cream of coconut and a handful of other simple ingredients, this non alcoholic pina colada recipe will immediately transport you to the tropics, no matter where you are.
Strawberry Pina Colada Recipe Virgin
This easy peasy Strawberry Pina Colada, virgin recipe is the perfect smooth and creamy non-alcoholic drink for the whole family to enjoy all summer long. I'll show you everything you need to know on how to make a non alchholic pina colada. It’s flavored with strawberry, pineapple, and coconut and blended with a touch of orange juice and lemon juice to balance it all out. If you leave out the strawberries, you’ve also got a great recipe for virgin pina colada.
The biggest secret that truly sets this strawberry colada smoothie recipe apart is actually quite simple: always use frozen pineapple. When adding it to any kind of smoothie recipe, it really gives it a Dole Whip consistency that fresh pineapple just can’t achieve. That’s why in our house when pineapple goes on sale we stock up, cut it up and freeze it for later.
Strawberry Non Alcoholic Pina Colada
Ingredients in this Strawberry Pina Colada Recipe (Virgin)
- Frozen Pineapple- you can buy bags of pineapple chunks that are already frozen or freeze it yourself. When we can find fresh pineapple on sale, or if there are leftovers from dinner, we like to cut it up and freeze it for later.
- Frozen Strawberries- you can find this in the freezer section of your supermarket, too, or freeze fresh strawberries for later. If you only have fresh strawberries on hand, those will work too. You just may need to add a little ice at the end to get more of a slushy consistency.
- Cream of Coconut- You can find this in the grocery store in the alcohol section with all of the mixers. The most common brand to find is Coco Lopez which is sold in a can. You can sometimes also find it in a handy squeeze bottle. If so, you won't regret the squeeze bottle!
- Orange Juice- just a splash of citrus really rounds out the flavors in this virgin pina colada recipe. Pineapple juice would make a great substitute. Also, if you're wanting to make this recipe dairy-free, you can sub the milk for even more orange juice.
- Milk- any kind of milk will work. Or, you can substitute coconut water, more orange juice or any tropical fruit juice if you want to keep this dairy-free.
- Vanilla Extract- pure vanilla extract tastes best.
- Lemon Juice- adding just a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice will balance out the sweet with the tart flavors in this creamy pina colada recipe. It adds just the right amount of wa-lah to this smoothie. Fresh lime juice makes an excellent substitute.
- Ice- add a handful of cubed or crushed ice at the end if your smoothie is a little runny. This blended pina colada recipe is the best when it's a tab bit slushy.
How to Make a Virgin Pina Colada Smoothie
- Blend the ingredients. Add the frozen pineapple, frozen strawberries, sugar, cream of coconut and orange juice to a blender and blend well. Once smooth, add the vanilla, lemon juice, and half the milk. Blend well, then continue to add milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add ice as needed. Add ice as desired and blend to reach a slushie consistency.
- Serve. Serve immediately with a paper umbrella, pineapple wedge, maraschino cherry and straw if you'd like. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a handful of great blenders, and I’ve owned most of them at one time or another. The two that I always come back to are the Vita-Mix and Blendtec. The Vita-Mix is my favorite - it’s a work horse in the kitchen, always up to the task of blending up frozen fruit, chopping nuts, etc. I’m not being sponsored for this, it’s just really that good!
If you’re looking to spike this mocktail recipe, the traditional alcohol of choice is white rum. It is smooth, well rounded and blends perfectly with the tropical flavors in this smooth and creamy drink.
Cream of coconut is a thick and syrupy ingredient. Coconut milk is on the runnier side so you can use it, but expect to have to use some ice to bulk up the pina colada’s consistency. Another substitute is coconut cream which is a little thicker than coconut milk, but you may need to add a little extra sugar.
If you are using both frozen pineapple chunks and frozen strawberries, you may be able to skip the ice. These two ingredients act as ice when blended, creating a slushy consistency. This smoothie tastes best when it's slushy, so if the mix is too thin, blend in the ice.
Using a sharp knife, cut the bottom of the pineapple off, then cut away the skin and any large eyes. Cut the flesh off of all four sides, away from the core, then cut into 1” chunks. Put into freezer bags, then lay them flat to freeze for up to 3 months.
Virgin Strawberry Pina Colada Recipe
- 2 cups Frozen Pineapple Chunks
- 2 cups Frozen Strawberries
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Cream of Coconut
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Ice
- Add the frozen pineapple, frozen strawberries, sugar, cream of coconut and orange juice to a blender and blend well.
- Once smooth, add the vanilla, lemon juice, and half the milk. Blend well, then continue to add milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add ice as desired and blend to reach a slushie consistency.
- Serve immediately with a paper umbrella and straw if you'd like. Enjoy!
More of Our Favorite Non Alcoholic Drink Recipes
- Orange Julius
- Holiday Punch
- Caramel Apple Punch
- Homemade Mint Lemonade
- Homemade Orange Julius
- Copycat Dole Whip
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker White Hot Chocolate
- Nutella Hot Chocolate
- More Drink Recipes
- More Coconut Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Strawberry Virgin Pina Colada recipe is the perfect smooth and creamy non alcoholic drink for the whole family to enjoy all summer long. It's flavored with pineapple, coconut and strawberry for a quick and easy tropical treat.