This Jalapeño Popper Cheese Ball is an easy no-bake party appetizer that is guaranteed to be a total hit. It’s got all of the delicious flavors of jalapeño poppers, like cream cheese, bacon, minced jalapeños and cheddar cheese, all mixed into one smooth and creamy cheese ball.
Jalapeño Popper Cheese Ball
This Jalapeño Popper Cheese Ball has all of the flavors of a jalapeño popper that you love, rolled up into a smooth and creamy cheese ball and covered in crispy bits of bacon. The combo of bacon, jalapeños and cheese is truly a match made in heaven, making this a super popular party appetizer. It reminds me of Costco jalapeno poppers but in delicious cheese ball form.
The level of spiciness in this recipe isn’t crazy since there is so much cream cheese to cut through some of the heat. However, if you are concerned at all about spiciness, you can always cut back on the amount of jalapeños that you add, or give this Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball a try.
Ingredients in Jalapeño Poppers Cheese Ball
- Bacon - you can easily make your own bacon bits, according to our instructions below. Or, you can take an easy shortcut and buy them. I like to use the bacon bits from Costco. Just before using you can put them on a paper plate and microwave for 30 seconds until the bacon bits are sizzling and crispy. No one will know they aren’t homemade!
- Cream Cheese - you can use full fat or light cream cheese. Just be sure your cream cheese is soft before you attempt to mix the ingredients together. If you forget to pull it out ahead of time, you can transfer it to a microwave safe container and warm it for about 10 seconds at a time in the microwave until softened.
- Green Onions - you want to slice them pretty thin.
- Cheddar Cheese - finely shredded cheddar cheese works great. Any kind of cheddar mix will also work well.
- Jalapeños - for this recipe, we use canned jalapeños. They are slightly milder and much easier to use!
- Ranch Seasoning Mix - you can use either the bulk ranch seasoning or the packets of ranch seasoning. You can also sometimes find cheese ball packets with various types of seasoning.
How to Make a Jalapeño Cheese Ball
- Make bacon bits. Cut bacon into ⅓" strips and add to a saute pan over medium heat. Saute the bacon for 5-8 minutes, or until sizzling and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon bits to a plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- Mix cheese ball ingredients. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl), add the room temperature cream cheese, ½ cup of the bacon bits, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar, jalapenos, and ranch seasoning. Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Form the cheese ball. Using a rubber spatula (or your hands), roll the cream cheese mixture into a ball shape, then carefully lift the cheese ball out of the mixing bowl and onto a serving platter. Press the remaining bacon bits evenly around the entire sides of the cheese ball.
- Chill. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator until needed, or up to 5 days.
- Serve. Garnish with green onions and serve with a variety of crackers and fresh vegetables. Enjoy!
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
You can also easily cook bacon in the oven rather than in a saute pan.
- Lay the bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and transfer bacon to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- I like to use my KitchenAid mixer to mix up the cream cheese mixture. It makes it quick and easy to clean up. You can also use a hand mixer or even just mix it by hand in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula to shape the bacon jalapeño cheese ball is an easy way to keep your hands clean while you form it. No need to get your hands dirty if you don’t want to.
- The longer this cheese ball sits, the spicier it gets. If you make this a day ahead, you may want to cut back on the amount of jalapeños slightly, unless you love them as much as we do.
- We do not recommend trying to freeze this cheese ball. The jalapeños and green onions will break down and turn it into a mushy mess after you thaw it.
- If your cheese ball is very soft when you go to add the bacon bits, put it in the cooler for 20 minutes or so. Once it’s slightly firm, remove the ball and roll it in the bacon bits.
- Refrigerator: wrap your jalapeño bacon cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap, then cover completely in aluminum foil and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Jalapeño Popper Cheese Ball
- 1 lb Bacon or 1 ½ cups bacon bits
- 16 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup Green Onions sliced thin
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 4-oz can Jalapeños drained
- 1 tablespoon Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Cut bacon into ⅓" strips and add to a saute pan over medium heat. Saute the bacon for 5-8 minutes, or until sizzling and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon bits to a plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl), add the room temperature cream cheese, ½ cup of the bacon bits, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar, jalapeños, and ranch seasoning. Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Using a rubber spatula (or your hands), shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball, then carefully lift the cheese ball out of the mixing bowl and onto a serving platter. Press the remaining bacon bits evenly around the entire sides of the cheese ball.
- Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving, then store in the refrigerator until needed, or up to 5 days. Garnish with green onions and serve with a variety of crackers and fresh vegetables. Enjoy!
More Of The Best Appetizer Recipes To Try
- Fruit Charcuterie Board
- Mini Veggie Cups
- Loaded Baked Potato Skins
- Spicy Italian Meatballs
- Jalapeno Artichoke Dip
- Chili Lime Steak Bites
- Flaming Hot Cheeto Chicken Tenders
- Easy Tomato and Basil Bruschetta Recipe
- More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- More Cheesey Appetizers
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you. It helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This Jalapeño Bacon Cheese Ball is an easy appetizer made with cream cheese, green onions, ranch seasoning, jalapenos and of course, bacon. It is guaranteed to be a hit at your next party.