This pumpkin stuffed french toast is filled with sweetened cream cheese, has a pumpkin custard-like egg mixture and topped with a sweet pecan crumble topping. It's a delicious pumpkin recipe everyone will love.
Pumpkin Flavored Baked French Toast Casserole
This stuffed french toast recipe is the bomb dot com. This overnight French toast bake recipe is pumpkin flavored custard over french bread, stuffed with cream cheese and topped with a pecan crumble topping. I mean, If you're gonna do breakfast, this just seems like the right thing to do.
How to Make The Best Overnight French Toast Bake Recipe
This stuffed french toast bake with cream cheese is best made the night before. It's easy to throw together and perfect for the holidays or a special occasion.
How to make Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast Bake
If you've ever wondered how to stuff french toast, here ya go.
- Use cream cheese for this recipe. It's best to start with room temperature cream cheese. I suppose you can use a low-fat version of cream cheese but I had full fat cream cheese on hand.
- Sweeten the cream cheese with just a little splash of vanilla and powdered sugar. Next, use just regular 'ol french bread and cut it into thick slices.
- Cut those thick slices in half but not all the way through the bread.
- Spread a thick layer of cream cheese in the sliced french bread and set it aside while you make the custard topping.
Making the Pumpkin Custard
- Add the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cloves, and nutmeg in a blender. (or mix it with a whisk in a mixing bowl.)
- Pour the pumpkin custard topping mixture on the stuffed french toast and then cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until morning. (if you don't have time to wait till morning, roll the bread slices over in the pumpkin custard.)
Making the Pecan Crumble Topping.
- Add this to your french toast bake just before you bake it.
- In a food processor, add the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut flakes. pulse until the nuts are to your desired size. It's best if they are ground to a powder, leave a little chunk to them.
(It's best to take the stuffed french toast out of the fridge while the oven is preheating so you aren't putting a cold baking dish in a hot oven. (putting a cold baking dish in a hot oven can cause the baking dish to break) Let the baking dish come to room temp before putting it in the oven.)
Tips And Tricks For Overnight French Toast Bake
- Using day-old bread is better than using freshly baked bread because it will soak up the egg mixture more readily. If you only have fresh bread, you can cut or tear it into 1” pieces and set it in a very low 250-degree oven for about 20 minutes to dry it out.
- For something a little sweeter, try using leftover cinnamon rolls in place of French bread!
- If you like lemon, try tossing your strawberries in the zest of 1 lemon before sprinkling over the top.
Storing And Reheating
- Refrigerator: store leftovers covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: freeze the unbaked Red White and Blue French Toast Bake by wrapping well with both plastic wrap and aluminum foil and storing frozen for up to 1 month. Pull the casserole from the freezer the day before you plan to serve and let it defrost in the fridge overnight. The next morning, pull out to room temperature and bake as directed.
- Reheating: reheat in a 320-degree oven, covered with aluminum foil, for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Stuffed Pumpkin French Toast Bake
- 8 2" thick slices French Bread
- 1 15oz Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon Cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8oz Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
Pecan Crumble Topping
- ½ Cup Pecans
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Coconut Flakes
Cream Cheese stuffing
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese (Be sure you are using room tempreture cream cheese), vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until all the sugar is combined with the cream cheese. Set aside
French Toast Bake
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cloves, and nutmeg. Use a wire whisk to beat all the ingredients togerther. Set aside.
Pecan Crumble Topping
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, add the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and coconut flakes. pulse until the nuts are to your desired size. It's best if they are ground to a powder, leave a little chunk to them.
How to assemble the french toast bake
- Spray a 9 by 13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the french bread loaf into 2" slices. You will need 8 of them. Now cut those slices in half but don't cut all the way through.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of the cream cheese spread in between the slices of bread.
- Plave the french toast slices in a baking dish and pour the pumpkin custart over the top of the french bread.
- Refrigerate overnight preferably.
- Make the pecan crumble topping. Sprinkle the topping on the stuffed french toast. Be sure the baking dish is at room temp before putting it in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with coconut syrup, whipped cream and some hashbrowns, oh baby! Enjoy!
More French Toast Bake Recipes
- Strawberry French Toast Bake
- 4th of July French Toast Bake
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Apple Cinnamon French Toast Bake
- Mixed Berry French Toast Bake
- Overnight French Toast Bake
- Coconut French Toast Bake
- More French Toast Bake Recipes
- More Breakfast Recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment on this post. I love hearing feedback from you helps me and other readers too! If you love Pinterest, feel free to leave a comment and photo there too. Also, if you like to share, use the hashtag #thecarefreekitchen on Instagram and tag me @thecarefreekitchen so I can find you and give your post some love. You can also find me on Facebook at The Carefree Kitchen. Thank you!!
This pumpkin stuffed french toast is filled with sweetened cream cheese, has a pumpkin custard-like, egg mixture and topped with a sweet pecan crumble topping.